Use Of Thai National Immigration Booths

Hello all,

I am due to travel back to Thailand in a few weeks with my wife. This is the first time that we have traveled to Thailand as a married couple. After reading the recent reviews about the processing times at immigration, i was wondering if i would be able to go though the Thai only lines. I have a Uk passport and my wife has a Thai passport still. Is it just the case of going though together with my wife or is it best to ask permission first from the staff?

As on the return to the UK, would my wife be able to use the EU national as this would be the 2nd time she has entered the UK so already has her visa stamped?

Thanks for you help.

Regards

You can go through with your wife in LOS..just let her go first.

When leaving UK why dont you both register with IRIS (eyeball rec system) and when you return back to Heathrow just use the machine and avoid the Qs...dont know why everyone dosnt use it...easy... :D

I know if your wife has ILR, you're allowed to go through the EU lines when travelling together.

Not sure of she's on just a visit visa.

In Thailand, so long as we're travelling together, we've had no issues in the Thai queue.

Having a eu visa is not the same as being a eu resident.

You can travel with here true the non-eu booth. Other way around is normally not possible.

Rubbish (the 2nd sentence).

We have entered and left the UK through Heathrow 3 times (the 1st time was before we had children) and have always used the EU passport holder's channel. On each occasion my (Thai) wife was treated with more charm and courtesy than I have ever been when going through UK passport control on my own - although that may be because she is rather easier on the eye than is her husband!

Edited by lingyaiyai

You can travel with here true the non-eu booth. Other way around is normally not possible.

We have entered and left the UK through Heathrow 3 times (the 1st time was before we had children) and have always used the EU passport holder's channel. On each occasion my (Thai) wife was treated with more charm and courtesy than I have ever been when going through UK passport control on my own - although that may be because she is rather easier on the eye than is her husband!

Now you all got me curious. I wonder if thats possible going through US immigration? Any Americans in TV have an opinion or experience?

I am a US citizen and my wife is Thai. We visited the USA in March and April and went through the US line in customs. Just say you are a family. When arriving back in Thailand, we went through the non-Thai line since there was no waiting at all. We flew on China Eastern which was very reasonable and could only be found on the Orbitz site.

I am a US citizen and my wife is Thai. We visited the USA in March and April and went through the US line in customs. Just say you are a family. When arriving back in Thailand, we went through the non-Thai line since there was no waiting at all. We flew on China Eastern which was very reasonable and could only be found on the Orbitz site.

Thanks for the response. I will also check out that China Eastern, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, I just give both passports to the official.

Believe the OP is aksing about Thai immirgation.

Yes, when entering with your Thai spouse or child, you can use the Thai only immigration lines.

Almost every country allows this.

Yep, do that at Swampy too. Usually come in on the morning Emirates so the line is almost empty.

• 2 weeks later...

It's gotten so bad that ANA has actually issued a travel notice for Suvarnabuhmi. What a lose of face.

"ANA Information

To Departing Passengers from Bangkok Suvarnabumi Airport

Severe congestion has occurred in passport control area of Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Moreover, due to renovation of immigration area from 18th May, it is expected extremely long lining up at passport control. ANA recommend passengers to finish check-in 2 hours earlier than the standard departure time and queue up immediately.

(The construction may continue until March 2012.)

Your understanding and cooperation are highly appreciated.

May 16th, 2011

All Nippon Airways Co., LTD."

Source: http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/th/e/local/ana_info/notice110516/

Moreover, due to renovation of immigration area from 18th May...

Is that for the installation of the self-service check-in (check-out?) kiosks?

• 3 weeks later...

Believe the OP is aksing about Thai immirgation.

Yes, when entering with your Thai spouse or child, you can use the Thai only immigration lines.

Almost every country allows this.

I'm just wondering, can we legally use the Thai lines if on a Non Immigrant extension, or is it just at the discretion of the immigration officer? I'd look a right tit if I queued up only to be refused exit/entry and then join the long queue of people grinning at me with 'Som nam naa' floating through the air!!

I'm just wondering, can we legally use the Thai lines if on a Non Immigrant extension, or is it just at the discretion of the immigration officer? I'd look a right tit if I queued up only to be refused exit/entry and then join the long queue of people grinning at me with 'Som nam naa' floating through the air!!

You are just another foreigner on a visa with some more hoops that have to be jumped through to qualify. However, you will be as disappointed as the Immigration Officer if you try and enter via the Thai Passport lines, especially if it's peak time. However, you may want to test it on a low-volume day. You may get a pleasant surprise.

Edited by NanLaew

When leaving UK why dont you both register with IRIS (eyeball rec system) and when you return back to Heathrow just use the machine and avoid the Qs...dont know why everyone dosnt use it...easy... :D

Seconded. We've been almost last off the plane, through the IRIS booth and first in the baggage hall (where of course the wait is longer, but it's better than shuffling along in a queue).