Im From Uk My Baby Will Be Born In Thailand Need Uk Passport

widnesvikings

Hello all

MY thai girlfriend will be having my baby in december this year , im worried about my baby being called upto the thai army when he or she is 18 years. So wanted to avoid this future problem.

So what do i do when the baby is born i understand i apply for a passport at the uk embassy do we register the birth in thaiand or the can we do it in the uk im unsure i have to do.

Does anybody no approx how long it will take to get the passport for my baby.

We will be applying for a settlement visa early next year do you think this should help our case .

Regards

chris

hi chris,

congratulations on the news,

i went througth this process last year and very easy when you know how,

your son/daughter will be able to get dual citizenship and be able to apply for both thai and u.k birth certificates/passports etc.

i'm not sure about the army question ?

where do you live ? where do you want to live/settle in the future ?

There is no need to register your child's birth at the British embassy, in fact i could almost say it would be a waste of approximately 10 kb...as they will not provide you with a British birth certificate, just a bit of paper which basically means that your child's birth could be traceable.

As for obtaining a British passport, absolutely no problem,..you are British, you are named as the father of the child on the birth certificate which then gives the child automatic entitlement to British citizenship..good luck

Hi Chris,

When the baby is born, the hospital normally register the birth of your child and will provide you with the Thai birth certificate. This is normally part of the hospital birth package.

You will then need to register the baby to get a thai ID card. Done in a day.

Then apply for thai passport at one of the regional offices. Very simple process and take a week or so.

To get the british passport you will need to get your birth certificate translated officially, take that with your passport, your babies birth certificate to the british embassy. Actually I believe that they use an agency to process the the paperwork now. Then apparently in no more than 2 weeks, you should have your british passport for your baby.

The thai id card and passport are not critical, but as people have suggested before may as well have all angles covered, as well as them being entitled to it and having them may help in some circumstances.

I don't think that you will get a british birth registration, as your child was not born there.

Army question is a good one. Maybe the fact that you can claim the child has british citizenship, they are are not legible... but that is just a guess.

Good luck

As already said, consular birth registration at the British embassy is not compulsory and not doing it wont affect the child's British citizenship.

If you want to do it, see How to register a birth. You wont, though, get a British birth certificate for the child, but the Thai one will suffice for any purpose for which a birth certificate is needed in the UK.

For how to obtain a British passport for the child see How to apply from Thailand (First time applications) and the relevant links on the right hand side of that page.

The advantages of dual nationality are such that I'd recommend getting a Thai passport for the child as well, although s/he will still have dual nationality if you don't.

Can't help on the conscription question, but I do believe that if the child is not resident in Thailand at the time then it wont be an issue.

Can't help on the conscription question, but I do believe that if the child is not resident in Thailand at the time then it wont be an issue.

As long as the child stays out of Thailand between 16 and 30 he won't be conscripted. After 30, he is no longer eligible. There's always tea money too if that isn't practical.

And if you haven't done so, do also read the pinned topic at the top of this forum on establishing your rights as a father in Thailand when you aren't married. The fact that you currently have no legal rights to your son in Thailand could be devastating if your relationship with your girlfriend ever goes south.

And if you haven't done so, do also read the pinned topic at the top of this forum on establishing your rights as a father in Thailand when you aren't married. The fact that you currently have no legal rights to your son in Thailand could be devastating if your relationship with your girlfriend ever goes south.

Sage advise. Plus, it will be much more favorable for your child to have parents that are married.

The baby will be automatically Thai, as the mother is Thai. Because you are te father, the child will also be British if you are mentioned on the birth certificate. Both countries allow dual nationality.

It seems you are not married. That means that you will not be considered the legal father of the child, unless you legitimize the child (or marry the mother). To legitiize the child you must pettition he court to become the legal father with parental rights.

See: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

When the baby is born, the hospital normally register the birth of your child and will provide you with the Thai birth certificate. This is normally part of the hospital birth package.

Then apply for thai passport at one of the regional offices. Very simple process and take a week or so.

To get the british passport you will need to get your birth certificate translated officially, take that with your passport, your babies birth certificate to the british embassy. Actually I believe that they use an agency to process the the paperwork now. Then apparently in no more than 2 weeks, you should have your british passport for your baby.

The thai id card and passport are not critical, but as people have suggested before may as well have all angles covered, as well as them being entitled to it and having them may help in some circumstances.

I don't think that you will get a british birth registration, as your child was not born there.

Army question is a good one. Maybe the fact that you can claim the child has british citizenship, they are are not legible... but that is just a guess.

Good luck

Hi there,

Do you need evidence of termination of a previous marriage also? Seems to be a bit of a pain if that's a case. Would need to ask the ex to send them from Spain. Is it a requirement?

Thank You.

The baby will be automatically Thai, as the mother is Thai. Because you are te father, the child will also be British if you are mentioned on the birth certificate. Both countries allow dual nationality.

It seems you are not married. That means that you will not be considered the legal father of the child, unless you legitimize the child (or marry the mother). To legitiize the child you must pettition he court to become the legal father with parental rights.

See: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

Incorrect (again) child born after July 06 can take Uk citizenship, marrage NOT required :rolleyes:

When you go for a Thai passport remember to take the baby as well as documents. My Thai wife insisted that it was not necessary as it was not listed on the Thai website. She was pretty embarrassed and I was pretty annoyed when we made an abortive 170 klick round trip to Ubon!

No need to fill in any applications for the Thai passport, the officials do all that for you and they take the baby's picture. A very convenient process compared to the British approach.

See: http://www.thaivisa....ts-as-a-father/

Incorrect (again) child born after July 06 can take Uk citizenship, marrage NOT required :rolleyes:

Your reply might be correct, but is not in a reply to my comment you are quoting.

Regardless of the fact if the child can have british citizenship (and is legitimized under UK law), the child is in Thailand and must be legitimized under Thai law. A Thai court will not rercognize the legitmization under UK-law and the mother still has sole custody. British passport or not.

When you go for a Thai passport remember to take the baby as well as documents. My Thai wife insisted that it was not necessary as it was not listed on the Thai website. She was pretty embarrassed and I was pretty annoyed when we made an abortive 170 klick round trip to Ubon!

No need to fill in any applications for the Thai passport, the officials do all that for you and they take the baby's picture. A very convenient process compared to the British approach.

Yes, I took my daughter yesterday to apply for her Thai passport. It was the best governmental service I have experienced here in Phuket/ Thailand. Walked in the door, greeted by a smile and helpful receptionist. Office is air conditioned, civilised queue. Only waited 10 minutes then sat down with the lady, she completed the forms, took the photo, I paid 1,000 baht..... All done. I walked out in shock!!! Well Done Phuket passport office.

Hi Chris,

Good luck

Hi there,

Do you need evidence of termination of a previous marriage also? Seems to be a bit of a pain if that's a case. Would need to ask the ex to send them from Spain. Is it a requirement?

Thank You.

As far as I am aware, you do not need any marraige or divorce certificate. I have been told that all one needs is a translated birth certificate, proving that the british partner is in fact the father/mother, plus passport. I will be trying in 2 weeks, so i'll let you know for sure.

Hi Chris,

Good luck

Hi there,

Thank You.

to marry here in thailand you do need a document in thai verifying your eligibility to marry. in my case that was obtained by supplying my divorce decree to the embassy who then gave me the eligibility to marry document in english, which i had translated at an approved place into thai.

so i think the answer to your question is yes, she will have to send that stuff to you.

Hi Chris,

Good luck

Hi there,

Thank You.

As far as I am aware, you do not need any marraige or divorce certificate. I have been told that all one needs is a translated birth certificate, proving that the british partner is in fact the father/mother, plus passport. I will be trying in 2 weeks, so i'll let you know for sure.

Cheers for that will await your reply... Have been looking on the website and if born after 2006 not a requirement... Good Luck..