Replacement Engines

Negita43

Does anybody know where I can get a secondhand replacement engine for my Toyota Corolla (about 15 years old)?

Surely there must be places that scrap cars or rebuild old engines.

I live in Nakhon Ratchasima so preferably somewhere near but beggars can't be choosers and anywhere will do.

Thanks

I have an old Honda Accord, which is even a little older than yours. I took it to a local garage in Chaeng Wattana, told them to find a replacement engine and fit. They did all within 3 days at a cost of 30K. So it can and does happen

I have an old Honda Accord, which is even a little older than yours. I took it to a local garage in Chaeng Wattana, told them to find a replacement engine and fit. They did all within 3 days at a cost of 30K. So it can and does happen

Hi, I guess you had good reason getting a replacement engine instead of top end repair or whatever, maybe you heard the big ends knocking. Is it a manual or auto, and was the gearbox included in that price ?

Three days is a pretty quick for finding a replacement engine, taking out yours and fitting the new one. As 30K is only about 700 Euro, not a bad price. I'm looking for an old banger so I'm interested in the pro's and cons of, if the worst comes to the worst, what's it likely to cost, and who can I trust to do it.

So when you took delivery of your Accord, it must have been with some trepidation, worrying about the condition of the replacement engine, there has to be an element of Russian Roulette about the previous life of the replacement . How does the new engine sound and feel compared to the original ?

Anyway, hope that your new engine is all that you'd hoped it would be :)

The side of Viphavadi rd that becomes Ramintha going towards Swampy direction but the opposite side of the road has a massive truck/automotive scrap yard with a multitude of engines, trannies , etc... Drive in there (it's very narrow) and drive around, stop and ask, someone in there can direct you to what you need.

Edited by WarpSpeed

<br />The side of Viphavadi rd that becomes Ramintha going towards Swampy direction but the opposite side of the road has a massive truck/automotive scrap yard with a multitude of engines, trannies , etc... Drive in there (it's very narrow) and drive around, stop and ask, someone in there can direct you to what you need.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks very much for the info BUT where on earth is Viphavadi rd ? and Swampy?

<br />The side of Viphavadi rd that becomes Ramintha going towards Swampy direction but the opposite side of the road has a massive truck/automotive scrap yard with a multitude of engines, trannies , etc... Drive in there (it's very narrow) and drive around, stop and ask, someone in there can direct you to what you need.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks very much for the info BUT where on earth is Viphavadi rd ? and Swampy?

Ooopss!!!! So how long have you been here? And how did you come in the country? By train :D ?? Swampy is the airport Suvarnabhumi, and Viphavadi is the road that runs underneath Don Muang Xway but they aren't really anywhere near each other just using the airport to provide you a direction to travel. Do you know where Chaeng Whattana road is? Once it crosses over Viphavadi it runs into Ram Intha but you can't go over the.....Oh crap that..

Here's a map, hope this works

Engine scrap yards

Ignore the direction tag though, it isn't correct the scrap yards are located in that grouping of soi's on the south east corner of Viphavadi Rd., Chaeng Whattana intersection looking at this map in it's current orientation..

Viphavadi though runs in front of the Old Don Muang airport..Hope that helps..

Edited by WarpSpeed

my personal preference would be to retain the original engine if at all possible. negita43

what are the symptoms? using oil? knocking sounds? smoke coming from tailpipe? coolant odors?

there are many reasons for my saying that. chief among them is you know your engines history. plugging

another motor in there (with dubious history) which may or may not mount correctly and everything

attach correctly or be installed properly. you're just opening a huge can of worms unnecessarily.

in all likelihood what you really need is probably only a partial re-build or a few components to

be replaced (for it to function reliably) running like new is another story. just my humble thoughts :blink:

my personal preference would be to retain the original engine if at all possible. negita43

what are the symptoms? using oil? knocking sounds? smoke coming from tailpipe? coolant odors?

there are many reasons for my saying that. chief among them is you know your engines history. plugging

another motor in there (with dubious history) which may or may not mount correctly and everything

attach correctly or be installed properly. you're just opening a huge can of worms unnecessarily.

in all likelihood what you really need is probably only a partial re-build or a few components to

be replaced (for it to function reliably) running like new is another story. just my humble thoughts :blink:

Normally I'd agree with you Cali but it's an old Toyota so it's likely he can get a good replacement that is a bolt in and doing any internal work is hit and miss at best here as to getting a well informed mechanic, best not to have them even opened from new and allow for Thai engineering. Applies even more so then the prospects of getting a really sick second hand engine which most places will give a warrantee long enough to tell if it's sick or not..