North Thailand Hideway In Lampang Province

ohpont

Just been visiting the north and would like to share this secret spot.15 km south of Wang Nua, Lampang province, there is an old Australian mate who built a little resort, rooms and bungalows, a natural swimming pool and a large billiard/pool room, going by the name of Wang Nua Retreat or Resort, don't remember for sure. The owner, Allan, is an inventor and precious entertaining companion, he rents by month for 3'500 Baht all included for bungalows and rooms at around 100 Baht/night, not deluxe but quite confortable and excellent value for money. Quiet and beautiful little valley with lots of fishing and trekking possibilities. True Thailand at it's best.

opont

Ok, assume this is just south of Wang Nuea on the 1035, off of the 120 to Phayao.

Good excuse to ride the nice short loop from Chiang Mai; take the 118 outta town, right on the 120, right on the 1035, left on the 1281 to connect with the quiet and twisty 1252. Maybe a good excuse also to cast some flies at a couple of good spots along this route, one being the only water were we've all had fish every time (NOT including pay ponds).

That old Aussie guy Alan the "inventor and precious entertaining companion" would not be Alan Bailey ex owner of Lovebirds & Overlander bars in Chiang Mai would it?

yes, pretty sure it is.

It definately is Alan Bailey. Bumped into him last year, he told me about the place then.

Well, the old man feeling lonely and missing english language talks, that's why he gives such a discount.

Business is not to good these days, sorry no website, don't know is full name but is phone is 08 1746 1282.

Many lakes also in the wang valley, one small one close to that place and 2 big ones one route 1035, Kiew Lom and the

new dam Kiew Koh Mah.

ohpont

Others who now more about marketing may want to chime in but I have a feeling that having an uncertain name ("Wang Nua Retreat or Resort, don't remember for sure") and a mobile phone number is not enough nowadays to attract business in the tourist industry. This man, Alan, has to get his place on the map, literally, and on the Internet, and he can even do it all for free, excecpt of course for the Internet connection.

Step 1: Right here on ThaiVisa, Alan can get a free listing, with map, on directory.thaivisa.com. If he's got no internet, you can do for him, with his agreement.

Step 2: Alan should register an email address, for example at Gmail (free)

Step 3: On Google Maps, Alan should create a Place Page, again free.

Step 4: After that, to alleviate his boredom somewhat, Alan may want to start a web log (blog), for example on blogger.com, where he can muse about anything he feels like. This will give his place additional exposure on the Internet.

Certainly good suggestions, Puccini, but if you knew Alan you would understand why this hasn't been done and probably never will be done.

Others who now more about marketing may want to chime in but I have a feeling that having an uncertain name ("Wang Nua Retreat or Resort, don't remember for sure") and a mobile phone number is not enough nowadays to attract business in the tourist industry. This man, Alan, has to get his place on the map, literally, and on the Internet, and he can even do it all for free, excecpt of course for the Internet connection.

Step 1: Right here on ThaiVisa, Alan can get a free listing, with map, on directory.thaivisa.com. If he's got no internet, you can do for him, with his agreement.

Step 2: Alan should register an email address, for example at Gmail (free)

Step 3: On Google Maps, Alan should create a Place Page, again free.

Step 4: After that, to alleviate his boredom somewhat, Alan may want to start a web log (blog), for example on blogger.com, where he can muse about anything he feels like. This will give his place additional exposure on the Internet.

Certainly good suggestions, Puccini, but if you knew Alan you would understand why this hasn't been done and probably never will be done.

Armless ??

Blind in both eyes ??

Independently wealthy ??

Contagious disease ??

Armless ??

Blind in both eyes ??

Independently wealthy ??

Contagious disease ??

None of the above but I am bit surprised yet gladdened to hear Alan is still alive and well. We are talking old school Chiang Mai here, and Alan is probably not the cup of tea for the neo-sahib generation of ex-pats that now dominate this forum.

Armless ??

Blind in both eyes ??

Independently wealthy ??

Contagious disease ??

None of the above but I am bit surprised yet gladdened to hear Alan is still alive and well. We are talking old school Chiang Mai here, and Alan is probably not the cup of tea for the neo-sahib generation of ex-pats that now dominate this forum.

Mild but nice understatement.............

I'm still struggling with 'neo-sahib'. Mostly because I enjoy taking a stab at the newer generations of expats so much, but I'm deprived of a chuckle because I'm not confident that I understand the reference. ;)

Sahib: used in (mostly British) Indian and Arab colonies to indicate respect for a Western person. So would neo-sahib refer to a neo-colonial mindset of some current expats, and the notion that they deserve utmost respect just by showing up in Thailand?

It's easy to find, just as my assumed directions above state. Rode out yesterday evening, but will return with the missus and some fishing rods soon for a 'break', no camera though.

Water levels and clarity are lousy for this time of year for a good feed of Jungle Perch. :annoyed:

I'm still struggling with 'neo-sahib' ... snip ...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun WinnieTheKhwai,

Our interpretation of Khun Johpa's neologism is that it is a mildly sarcastic backhand-slap at what he and/or she perceive are qualities of a new set of resident expats here, and their behavior, perhaps implying they behave, in contrast with a previous generation of long-term expats, with a sense of entitlement: less empathy, or are less maybe motivated to really "learn Thai ways." Or, maybe, just act like they deserve to be treated specially: we have certainly had our encounters with a few of these, although they have been as brief as it took for us to disappear :)

However, that's just one possible interpretation of what Khun Johpa meant ... out of ?

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Ok, Allan’s place is on route 1035, 80 Km north of Lampang or 15km south of Wang Nua(the gold digger village) in Rong Kho Village, couple of km north of the police station.

There is a sign on the road, east side, but sometimes hard to see due to extensive road construction.

Got something like 6 rooms and 6 bungalows, and is planning a fish pound soon as he explain to me yesterday, and yes he is Allan Bailey and didn’t knew about

me writing on him in the net, didn’t even care to look at the computer, anyway, one day going home, I will print this thread, and maybe we can have some more laughs.

His daughter coming in July during school holiday in Australia and will probably help for marketing, she is studying chef at University, few month left.

I met Allan by chance, driving that road from home to the new holiday pavilion I just bought last year, on a lake some 50 km south, now having a parking for the boat.

I was amazed by the sign Wang Nua Retreat, now Resort, and drop by, hat a lot of laugh, and became friends.

Thanks for the MKT trips, Allan place like mine doesn’t have telephone line, and the old guy going to his 72 this year, is not ready to learn computing yet!

I am familiar with marketing 3, People, Planet, Profit, in that order preferably, but my post was not with that intention, I just felt I could help share something nice,

Wang Nua valley deserves some attention, it’s really worth exploring, a lot to discover and so far away from the tourist track. They are also 3 roads going through the

mountain, from Chae Sorn national park to Chiang Mai, and another smaller one from Chae Hom to Ngao.

On week-ends and holidays I usually drive around a lot, as “my” lake is being invaded by karaoke-err, otherwise little paradise.

For fishermen, there is a small dam 5 km north of Allan’s place, the new dam, Kiew coh ma, a bit blackish water, a smaller dam on the short cut to Ngao, and

the Kiew Lom, in Ban Sam Phao Thong, with almost year round clear water, that’s the one I am based.

Voila, I hope I clarified a few points.

ohpont