Best Place For Thai Diving Holiday In October

Crushdepth

I've got some friends visiting Thailand in October, and they are looking for advice on a good place to go diving (in addition to chilling out at a nice hotel / spa). They have a very young kid (2 years) so convenient travel arrangements would be a big plus.

What do you think? What are the diving options like in Phuket that time of year? Are there better places to consider?

October has unpredictable weather all over Thailand. Which means I would not bother with the weather and simply go to the place with the nicest diving, which would be the Andaman Coast.

Tad early for daytrips to Similans from Khao Lak, Lanta will still be very quiet with limited options, so would go to Phi Phi, Krabi or Phuket.

I had a couple of great dives at Phi Phi last year, leaving from Phuket. But the staff told me that they don't dive there in the monsoon because of the weather. True?

I forget the exact site, I think it was "turtle bay" or something, close to where they filmed "The Beach"?

I had a couple of great dives at Phi Phi last year, leaving from Phuket. But the staff told me that they don't dive there in the monsoon because of the weather. True?

I forget the exact site, I think it was "turtle bay" or something, close to where they filmed "The Beach"?

At certain Phi Phi sites diving can be done from May till October, at other Phi Phi sites from November through April. Most Phi Phi sites are accessible year round.

October is probably one of the best months to do Lanta with young kids (or even without). Everything is opening up, dive boats are almost all running in October (2 or 3 companies run all year from here), and accomodation is still cheap. Is also a lot quicker to get here from the airport in Krabi in Oct than Nov or Dec - less than 2 hours sometimes (though depends on the ferry). Less traffic on the roads too.

You can definitely get good deals in October on Lanta.

Am sure Ao Nang would have a similar situation in October.

It is also nice weather in October. Lanta tends to have rain free days all through the monsoon anyway. Diving Koh Haa is also a lot less busy in October.

Both Ao Nang and Lanta are easy to get around in October and are a lot more relaxed than Phi Phi and Phuket.

I would not go to Phi Phi with young kids, and only certain parts of Phuket.

There are a few dive sites in Phi Phi that are supposedly closed due to bleaching.

The major dive sites from Lanta all stayed open throughout this season.

Hope you enjoy wherever you go : )