Motorbike Punctures

2long

:D I ride a bike (just a small one) in Bangkok and have done so for five years. I'm on my third bike and all three have suffered regular punctures. Am I unlucky, pissing off the wrog people or is this common? Any suggestions? :o

Have you ever walked along a street/soi and noticed all the crap in the road? Just on my small soi I see heaps of broken glass, screws, nails, wire and other assorted metal detritis that presumably "falls off the truck". I always kick it to the side. That's not to say someone isn't angry at you and jabbing your tyres with an icepick every fortnight.

I had a bike like that once. It seemed like the tread was there but it wasn't. I replaced the tires (front and back) and the flats stopped. I paid about 280 baht/tire.

If you don't replace them, sooner or later your luck will run out and you will have an accident.

Flats happen regularly even with new tyres here. The quality of the tubes leave a lot to be desired. I always get mine changed at a honda service centre now if I can. Tube seams always seemed to go buying from these roadside places.

:D I ride a bike (just a small one) in Bangkok and have done so for five years. I'm on my third bike and all three have suffered regular punctures. Am I unlucky, pissing off the wrog people or is this common? Any suggestions? :o

Happens rather often to everyone. Best to know all the little shops around on your more common routes that repair tires. And if you can't read Thai then have someone take a pic of a tire repair sign and put it under the seat in the little tool bag. It is rare to have to walk far with a flat in any town in the Kingdom to find a repair shop.

I used to think it was a trick the repair guys had to increase their business. Yes I’m cynical like that. :o

Everybody seems to have the same problems. I think It’s the poor quality tubes and tires. I got fed up one time and did get new tubes and tires, though it wasn’t really necessary, at a different shop from the usual, the time before the first punctures seemed to be longer than before but don’t think there was much in it.

As for debris on the road, that’s always a possibility, but I’m convinced it’s the poor quality product; I have checked several flat tires for nails or cuts but never yet found one. Also most people don’t bother to check the pressure very often and that doesn’t help.

:D

When I used to drive a motorbike, flats were pretty common. But every single flat was due to a foreign object being embedded in it, nail, glass, etc. Still would seem the tire should take some of these objects better.

When I used to drive a motorbike, flats were pretty common.  But every single flat was due to a foreign object being embedded in it, nail, glass, etc.  Still would seem the tire should take some of these objects better.

I'll bet that most, if not all, of the flats were mostly in the rear tyre too.

:o

Flats....... I personally think it's partly related to the size of the bike. The bigger the bike, the bigger and thicker the tyre usually is. Also, riding bigger bikes usually means not having to ride so much in the left hand lanes all the time where alot of the debris is.

I've only ever suffered two flats in Thailand. One up in Nakhon Phanom while riding a small Yamaha 2 stroke along a narrow road and one flat on a Harley about 3 years ago when I parked next to a wood and corrugate sheet constructed spirit house where I picked up a dropped 3 inch nail.

I've been riding almost daily for the last 6 years and 8-9 years off and on prior to that.

So I figure with flats, it's to do with riding habits and tyre sizes.

Edited by Gazza

I'll bet that most, if not all, of the flats were mostly in the rear tyre too.

:o 

Flats....... I personally think it's partly related to the size of the bike. The bigger the bike, the bigger and thicker the tyre usually is. Also, riding bigger bikes usually means not having to ride so much in the left hand lanes all the time where alot of the debris is.

I should of stated since driving motorbikes in Thailand. Back home I had a Kawasaki KZ400 and 3 years driving it never had a flat.

So I figure with flats, it's to do with riding habits and tyre sizes.

And enviornment.

Back in England I'd ridden bikes for about 12 years on and off, mostly on. All bikes were Triumphs and Harleys and only ever got one puncture. :o

By 'riding habits', I mean that by having to ride in the left hand lane all the time as smaller bikes have to do here, it thereby increases the odds of picking up debris. So I suppose this also incorporates the environment issue.

Also, not many people realise that inner tubes do suffer ocassionally from rubbing against the tyre walls and rims. I've also noticed alot of rotting of the tube near the valve when replacing my tyres. So this may possibly explain why some flats don't have any outside visible evidence of puncturing ie. nails, glass etc.

I had the same problem for a while. The solution was to keep between 30 to 40 PSI of air in the tires. When the pressure gets low, as you are riding the motorbike, it pinches the Tube.

cOUPLE OF THINGS tyre fitters will do their utmost to f..k up faranf esp if they have hot lady in tow. And spoked wheels are supposed to have tape between the inner-tube and wheel rim, rare in Thailand.

Worst thing that ever happened to me was lorries hurtling along blowing off sharpnel that tore the back wheel to pieces going from Bangkok to Pattaya - twice in the same day!