United Airlines Booking Online

tilac01

I want to book BKK-SFO-BKK via UA online. I have enough miles to upgrade to business class. I don't see how this can be done on the UA website. Does anyone out there have any experience booking an upgrade online with UA or do you need to go through a travel agent or with UA directly? Many thanks.

You need to pay a full fare economy ticket first. Best way is by phone. If you book online you can only request an upgrade, so theres no guarantee you'll get it for the flight. By phone they can guarantee the business class seat.

Best way is to fork out for an international call to their customer 'service' people as UA have loads of fare codes for the same flight and Murphy's Law dictates that whatever superb airfare you get for your SFO r/t, it won't qualify for an upgrade by miles.

Best way is to fork out for an international call to their customer 'service' people as UA have loads of fare codes for the same flight and Murphy's Law dictates that whatever superb airfare you get for your SFO r/t, it won't qualify for an upgrade by miles.

Why would you do that? Why wouldn't you call or email the customer service office in Bangkok? I have always gotten excellent service there.

http://www.unitedairlines.co.th/local/english/customerservice/index.html

Why would you do that? Why wouldn't you call or email the customer service office in Bangkok? I have always gotten excellent service there.

http://www.unitedairlines.co.th/local/english/customerservice/index.html

Because my experience from their side of the Pacific, dealing with their US Customer Service (which is actually in Bangalore), they are the worst of a bad bunch.

Reassuring to hear that they have the 'human touch' if dealing with customer purchases from this side and since the OP is looking at initiating his r/t travel from Bangkok, then based on your experience, it will all be good. Probably cost more too but at least the voice on the telephone will be sweet and helpful.

First, you need to book the ticket. Only once a ticket it paid for will it appear in "my itineraries" where you can upgrade, select seats, change, ect. A few cautions here:

· Upgrades are in short supply, especially after the UA conversion to lay flat seats reduced the number of business class seats available. These upgrades are prioritized on a wait list by fare class and STATUS. Some clear immediately and some will clear only at the gate, it depends on how full the flight is.

· You can request your upgrade by phone or on-line, it all works the same and you can monitor your upgrades status on-line. Personally, I only call if I need to do something odd like upgrade certain segments.

· If you do not clear, your miles are returned automatically.

· The sooner you book and request the upgrade the better, especially if you do not have status. Book as far out as possible as business travellers with status will book close to the date and be put ahead of you on the list.

· With upgrades in short supply, your route and day of travel will be important to avoid the business travellers. You can check how full a flight is during on-line booking or have a look at the flyertalk forum where people spend much time speculating on these matters.

You can call their Bangkok office directly at 02 353 3900/3939.

If you want to do it online, you have to do an advanced booking which will give you an option for getting an upgrade-eligible fare. Then you purchase the ticket and request the upgrade.

For me, both the miles needed and the upgrade fee make upgrading an economy ticket a bad deal. I would rather pay the extra miles and get a completely free business class ticket. I recently did this with my mother (giving her a first class ticket to come out here) rather than buying a ticket and upgrading it.

If you want to do it online, you have to do an advanced booking which will give you an option for getting an upgrade-eligible fare. Then you purchase the ticket and request the upgrade.

For me, both the miles needed and the upgrade fee make upgrading an economy ticket a bad deal. I would rather pay the extra miles and get a completely free business class ticket. I recently did this with my mother (giving her a first class ticket to come out here) rather than buying a ticket and upgrading it.

Bonobo,

Thanks for your reply. How many extra miles are necessary to get a free business class ticket?

The number of miles/cash needed to upgrade varies according to fare class. It ranges from no co-pay required for full fair (Y or B ) to 500-600 USD for discounted fares. You would not know for certain until you find out what your booking class would be. Though the upgrade co-pay prices are high for the discounted fares, before the co-pay you could not upgrade discounted fares at all.

Please note that the system is changing as well for late May bookings and flights after June 15th

Google "united" "upgrades" and I am sure all you questions can be answered.

If you have a discount booking class my advice is to accumulate miles for free tickets as I do not think the miles + high co-pay is a good deal.

Edited by KLExpat

Maybe have a read through here...

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1150,00.html

An itinerary must be ticketed before an upgrade can be requested. Perhaps owing to the crises in Japan XC/NC (business class award space and business class upgrade space) has been open. My most recent BKK-NRT-SFO and IAD-NRT-BKK all had open C (business) seats.

I use Systemwide upgrades on cheap (Q/V/W) fares, and haven't missed a free upgrade since Jan. 2001 (300-ish segments).

For paid upgrades, miles, miles+copay, you'll have to balance ticket price and upgrade cost. In some cases you may be able to find NC space prior to ticketing, which means the upgrade can be confirmed. Otherwise you'll go on a wait-list which clears by status, fare bucket and time added.

If your looking for an award ticket then have a read here:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1140,00.html?navSource=UseCarousel&linkTitle=Flying_with_United

If you have further questions fire away.

Edited by lomatopo