Best Wifi Connection

I have a place in Bophut that I visit 3 times a year (not long for the next visit)

I work via the internet whilst in Samui using a Sony Net Book with wireless

I connect to our main computer via Cisco and Putty and wonder if anyone could let me know answers to:

1. The best place for Wifi connection on the Island (preferably near Bophut)

2. Is it possible to connect via a 'dongle' to the systems above

I do not wish to put an internet connection to my home as I do not stay there enough at the moment (one day!)

Thank you in anticipation

A dongle is possible but is relatively slow.

Not neccessarily so :D

I have just upgraded to the CAT CDMA dongle and it is very quick. I can average nearly 2MBS most places. Even with the mobile EDGE system as long as you don't need to down load large files then it is fine. It is also a pay as you go system which would be better if you are only here occasionally. Most places that have Wi-Fi tend to have cheap routers that tend to limit the transmission to 54kbs though I have been in a couple that have 1MB.

If you need to down load a big file just go to a high speed internet shop with your laptop and plug the ethernet cable directly into your computer. :D

A dongle is possible but is relatively slow.

Not neccessarily so :D

I have just upgraded to the CAT CDMA dongle and it is very quick. I can average nearly 2MBS most places. Even with the mobile EDGE system as long as you don't need to down load large files then it is fine. It is also a pay as you go system which would be better if you are only here occasionally. Most places that have Wi-Fi tend to have cheap routers that tend to limit the transmission to 54kbs though I have been in a couple that have 1MB.

If you need to down load a big file just go to a high speed internet shop with your laptop and plug the ethernet cable directly into your computer. :D

Thank you very much H20Dunc - very usefull information

I use a AIS Aircard dongle... I was lucky to get a package 10 months 60 HR a month for THB about 3000 but you can get a pay as you go PREPAID (for 109 THB you get 20 Hrs, about 200THB will get about 50 Hrs)

and DTAC has a similiar dongle that you have to pay about 1300THB for the dongle and PREPAID .. However the speeds are slow they are using EDGE which is about 150 - 200 Kbs.. OK for email, forum and general web surfing..NOT good for YOUTUBE or downloading or uploading large files so maybe take ol mates advice and look into CAT CDMA? or whatever was suggested..

Keep in mind the AIS aircard even slow works most places including some areas of Koh Phangnan and if you are in BKK you will probably get up near the 3 Mbs ( it has 7mbs written on dongle) so you might get that up near BKK not sure.

Hope that helps.. Faranglaw

I use a AIS Aircard dongle... I was lucky to get a package 10 months 60 HR a month for THB about 3000 but you can get a pay as you go PREPAID (for 109 THB you get 20 Hrs, about 200THB will get about 50 Hrs)

and DTAC has a similiar dongle that you have to pay about 1300THB for the dongle and PREPAID .. However the speeds are slow they are using EDGE which is about 150 - 200 Kbs.. OK for email, forum and general web surfing..NOT good for YOUTUBE or downloading or uploading large files so maybe take ol mates advice and look into CAT CDMA? or whatever was suggested..

Keep in mind the AIS aircard even slow works most places including some areas of Koh Phangnan and if you are in BKK you will probably get up near the 3 Mbs ( it has 7mbs written on dongle) so you might get that up near BKK not sure.

Thank you also for your reply

Where did you purchase the AIS Aircard. I could you this at home and for more 'heavy duty' stuff may head down to the IT Complex in Lamai

Where did you purchase the AIS Aircard. I could you this at home and for more 'heavy duty' stuff may head down to the IT Complex in Lamai

You can buy these in Tesco. I reckon the DTAC service is quicker and a bit cheaper though. Still ended up with an AIS card as the staff at DTAC were hopeless! :blink:

You can buy these in Tesco. I reckon the DTAC service is quicker and a bit cheaper though. Still ended up with an AIS card as the staff at DTAC were hopeless! :blink:

I bought the AIS from "Telewiz" in the Tesco mall Chaweng (on the main road)..the staff are good and will help you register it..in fact it is better to take your laptop with you so they can set it up for you..remember the SIM card goes into the dongle...and DTAC is in the BIG C mall just up the road from Tesco... but because I got a special package if I use up the 60 free Hrs a month I can just duck into Telewiz-Tesco mall throw THB 109 at them and get an extra 20 Hrs, if you go in there look for the short haired tomboy.. her english is OK and she knows what she's doing... good luck