Mobile Phone With Gps Map (Not Gprs)

Hi, I am thinking of buying a new phone with Thailand map, I heard some people saying that Nokia phones have Thailand map which are using GPS, which is free of charge as compared to other brands which does not have GPS built in and have to rely on GPRS, has anyone tried the Nokia N 8 GPS Navigation? And I just called Nokia today and they confirm that it has a built in GPS and there is a new Thailand map downloadable for use as a navigable GPS, it will speak just like Garmin gps, has anyone try out yet.

What about Samsung Galaxy S, can it use gps? Does it have built in GPS system? What other mobile phones have the GPS system.

P/S: Please note that I am refering to GPS, which does not charge for air time, and NOT to be confused it with GPRS, which charges for airtime.

Android phones use google maps for navigation. Nokia top models have Navteq maps for free which is much superior.

The N8 is a great phone and also has the best mobile camera in the market. Offline navigation works very well in Thailand.

I'm using a Nokia 5230 with free OVI-maps.

Last week I updated to v3.0611wk... Since then it seems that the phone is connecting to the internet everytime I open the map.

This happens even the map is locally stored on sd-card. It is only a small amount of bytes which is loaded. I have a 20-hours-package so I don't have to pay extra.

But: with the old map version there was no internet acccess unless I was searching some POI by internet.

A quick google search displays a lot of posters in some forums who go back to the old map version because there are too many bugs in the new one. The posts I have seen in detail were not specifically related to my phone.

So if you buy a nokia be sure the shop can show you how to operate the phone without internet access when using the map. In my case a small symbol with the required amount of data in KB appears in the right bottom corner when moving the map to another location.

BTW: I have also installed Google maps ( I know it needs online accesswink.gif). But the quality of the map is better, e.g. in Chiang Mai or Nakhon Si Thammarat area. Maybe because Google is using Teleatlas; Nokia is using Navteq. Something I don't understand: my Garmin is also using Navteq. In both devices I have the latest map version. Sometimes some roads I can only find on my Nokia, in other cases vice versa.

The phone itself has not a very powerful battery, one day walking with activated GPS needs charging in the evening. Use a charger in the car better.

Showing your position after starting is sometimes slow especially when you moved to another location and GPS is not activated all the time.

When taking the wrong way the system don't tell me to turn and go back instead it is sending me around the "block" with a 3 or 4 km deviation

Sometimes the navigation system directed me to tracks you can only walk - or drive by mountain bikes. Of course I did choose "car modus"

But after all I never got really lost - and it is for free.

In Germany I paid about Eur 120 for the phone 9 months ago

Good luck

I'm using a Nokia E71. The OS is Symbian so I'm using Garmin Mobile XT with Thailand Street Map V11.1 on it.

Besides that I have OVI-Maps and Google Maps. I used OVI-Maps to get great satellite impressions but that uses telephone minutes for data transfer.

For more about GPS go here: http://www.thaivisa....gps-placemarks/

So Ovi map requires to go online? Do you have the original nokia map, which works offline? By the way, how much to get the map V11.1, is it the latest? And where can I get it downloaded, and how much? Does V11.1 works off line, just like gps? Will it work for Nokia N8?

Edited by Cobrabiker

I also have OVI maps and Garmin XT on my Nokia C5-03. I looked at many phones and for the price of this one which is about 6,500 Baht it was by far the best priced phone I came across for the money and what I wanted it mainly for which was GPS and Skype which you can download from the OVI store free.

Garmim you can install free if you are PC savvy send me a PM for details as your not allowed to discuss here.

Thanks.

I've used HTC android phones and downloaded an app called MapDroyd. Once you've downloaded the map for the country that you want (via Wifi), it's all offline.

The Thailand maps aren't as complete as google maps, but they're not bad.

I also have OVI maps and Garmin XT on my Nokia C5-03. I looked at many phones and for the price of this one which is about 6,500 Baht it was by far the best priced phone I came across for the money and what I wanted it mainly for which was GPS and Skype which you can download from the OVI store free.

Garmim you can install free if you are PC savvy send me a PM for details as your not allowed to discuss here.

Thanks.

Hi Insisongkram, Can Ovi map work off line? Does Garmin map works for Andriod too?

I'm using a Nokia E71. The OS is Symbian so I'm using Garmin Mobile XT with Thailand Street Map V11.1 on it.

Besides that I have OVI-Maps and Google Maps. I used OVI-Maps to get great satellite impressions but that uses telephone minutes for data transfer.

For more about GPS go here: http://www.thaivisa....gps-placemarks/

So Ovi map requires to go online? Do you have the original nokia map, which works offline? By the way, how much to get the map V11.1, is it the latest? And where can I get it downloaded, and how much? Does V11.1 works off line, just like gps? Will it work for Nokia N8?

Ive had no luck in installing Garmin on my N8.

Garmin works offline its connects to the net if you want to check the local weather or airport flight status. Its not too easy to install though that`s the only downside. If your moving around Thailand this is a must have though its an amazing piece of kit.

Thanks all for your replies so far.

If nokia C5 can be installed, I am assuming n8 should not have any problem, btw InSiSongkram, do you have any clue why it is not working for spoonman?

Can the Garmin map works for android too? I am thinking of Galaxy S, does it have built in GPS?

Thanks all for your replies so far.

If nokia C5 can be installed, I am assuming n8 should not have any problem, btw InSiSongkram, do you have any clue why it is not working for spoonman?

Can the Garmin map works for android too? I am thinking of Galaxy S, does it have built in GPS?

Yeah, it turns out I had an older version that was not compatible with the Symbian ^3 os on the N8.

Edited by Spoonman

My HTC WM6.5 phone comes with Garmin XT and has latest 11.1 Thailand map installed. Can also download any map from any country off the net for foreign trips and free offline street to street voice nav. Been using it and updating the maps to latest Garmin for a couple of years.

My HTC WM6.5 phone comes with Garmin XT and has latest 11.1 Thailand map installed. Can also download any map from any country off the net for foreign trips and free offline street to street voice nav. Been using it and updating the maps to latest Garmin for a couple of years.

Can you tell me how much is your HTC? Is it android? For updating garmin map, do you have to pay? Any good deals with preloaded V11.1 that you are aware?

Cobrabiker, you can use OVI maps without connecting to GPRS.

You just need to turn off "Assisted GPS" and have the maps downloaded locally.

I used this just recently on my Nokia N8, with OVI maps, on a trip to Malaysia.

Great phone bythe way... ;)

Like all real GPS software and maps, OVI works offline but if you want to display satellite maps, you need a data connection as your mobile phone has to download them from the server.

Garmin Mobile XT and TSM V11.1 is far better than OVI and is considered as one of the best GPS maps for Thailand. Google to find the map including install instructions for symbian mobile phones.

A word about A-GPS. Assisted GPS is a feature to transmit data to and from your operator to help locking onto satellites. Enabling this feature speeds up the locking time dramatically. Locking onto satellite happens in general only once per GPS-session. This feature has nothing to do with downloading maps or satellite images.

A lot of good and some confusing and wrong answers.

Here is my 5 cents:

- a lot of phones (Android, or not) have a build in GPS (google for specific model specs to find out)

- it depends on a software if you need internet access or not

- google maps doesn't store maps in the phone memory so internet access is required all the time

- ovi maps (software name is ovi maps, uses Navteq maps) stores maps in the phone, no internet access is required. If it goes online after the update, it's most likely you need to change the internet settings in the program. Go to settings/ internet settings/ go online at start-up - set to NO

- there is other software for a wide variety of phones and platform (android, symbian, WM, iPhone, etc) that once installed on the phone, will not need to go to internet to upload maps (unless you failed to upload that country map on the phone in the first place).

Can you tell me how much is your HTC? Is it android? For updating garmin map, do you have to pay? Any good deals with preloaded V11.1 that you are aware?

They are not marketed now but sell in Bangkok for 10,000THB boxed. As my post said it is Windows Mobile 6.5 so not Android if that is your o/s of choice. Garmin doesn't do Android (someone can update/correct me if I am wrong!). Garmin XT runs on any WM phone, but not sure on WM7. Wish they did run on Android then I'd buy one!

There are many posts on this forum about Garmin map updates for Thailand, they come out about once a year (?). You can pay for them if you like, but many they are also easily found/copied on the internet for any country to just download and overwrite the old file.

Hi Digitalbanana, I didn't know what wm6.5 was, now I know what it is when you write it in full, I checked the internet too, and seems what you said is right, Garmin is only availvable for symbian and windows OS only, got it cleared up, thanks.

Hi Shurup & aidena, thanks for the info, btw, after much thought, I bought Nokia N8 at 13,900 baht, promotion price for blue color. And I am a bit confused about A-GPS, so for this N8, does it have a built in GPS and A- GPS too?

Hi MTH, I will try to download TSM v11.1 for Thailand navigation, as considered too be much superior by this forum, and use the OVI map for Malaysia & Singapore too, are they good? Any Voice? Ovi map is free to download right?

Congratulations on your Nokia N8.

The Nokia N8 has GPS and A-GPS. Note that A-GPS is for locking onto satellites.

Assisted GPS, generally abbreviated as A-GPS or aGPS, is a system which can, under certain conditions, improve the startup performance, or time-to-first-fix (TTFF) of a GPS satellite-based positioning system. It is used extensively with GPS-capable cellular phones as its development was accelerated by the U.S. FCC's 911 mandate making the location of a cell phone available to emergency call dispatchers.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

Garmin has also great maps for Malaysia and Singapore. Together with the Malsing Maps they are considered as one of the best for those areas. Downloading these maps and TSM V11.1 is one thing. Installing the maps and Garmin Mobile XT on your Nokia N8 is another thing.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS#cite_note-0][/url]

Hi Cobrabiker, congrats on the new phone.

Yes the Nokia N8 has built in GPS and A-GPS (Assisted GPS).

If you're traveling abroad, or just don't want the phone to connect to the internet, turn this off.

(Settings -> Application Settings -> Positioning -> Positioning methods -> Assisted GPS)

OVI maps do have voice guidance. Lots of choices for languages and even some specialty voices. And yes, maps and voice are all free downloads.

I've only used OVI maps, haven't tried TSM. OVI works pretty well, took us straight to our hotel in Sonkhla on the way back from Kuala Lumpur.

However around BKK I've got less than preferred directions a few times. And in Pattaya, the map still don't have the "new" on/off ramp from Sukhumvit to Highway 7.

Hi aidena & MTH, thanks for clearing up, especially for the tip about turning off the A-gps to prevent internet charges. Well I think the ovi map not so good, as compared to my ver 9 map on my garmin 60csx, will try to download ver 11.1 for my n8. Have a direct link for Nokia N8, pls PM me, thanks. Instead of going thru the whole web.

will try to download ver 11.1 for my n8. Have a direct link for Nokia N8, pls PM me, thanks. Instead of going thru the whole web.

Don't be lazy, mate. You also have to get Garmin Mobile XT and unlocking software to let TSM V11.1 work on your N8. Edited by aidenai

To the OP nobody seems to have addressed your needs here.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S and it does indeed have a built in GPS.

Garmin is not supporting Android as far as I am aware however there is a program called Aura GPS which you download from the Marketplace free of charge. Download the maps you want on a trial to make sure your happy.

You then go to their website www.cygic.com and unlock the maps. Thailand was 25 Euros I think but I have a 20% off code for my next map which is going to be Western Europe and UK.

They use Tom Tom maps and are pretty well complete. I can get around Thailand fine with it. And having used Tomtom in the UK before I know their maps cover UK well as well.