China Garden No Way

Yenoormit

Hmmm. Well, I'd rather have a small portion of something excellent to a large portion of something crappy, but what's the problem with a large portion of something excellent? Diet concerns, I guess, but personally if I'm still hungry I'll eat something else anyway.

I was always brought up not to waste food so it's a case of half size, half price, and everyone's happy. And like you say if it's not enough you can order something else.

You're talking tapas. Anyway, traditionally Chinese food is served family style so you order lots of dishes and you share (and usually large sized items like whole fish, etc.). On the other hand if I order a noodle dish and there are about five noodles in it, this does not please. It's a complex subject, lots of cultural expectations involved in it, and of course many restaurants are understandably trying to serve as little as they can (without prompting complaints or lost business) for the highest possible price. Back to this restaurant in question, they are charging enough for the food to offer both decent quality food AND an ample portion, in my view anyway. And also some peanuts for their kung pao ...

I was talking generally, not about this particular restaurant. I always eat Asian style with diferent dishes for sharing.

Next time you go take your own nuts and make a point of adding them to the kung pao and teaching the chef how to do it.

I wasn't impressed on my first visit

I had "sweet and sour " pork but when I posted here I was trying to understand what "English style" Chinese was all about so I didn't report on the quality, in case English style was supposed to be so bland :jap:

brits gave up on bland food years ago, not many people for meat and 2 veg now, indian,thai,chinese,italain,mexican,lebonese etc. trust me i did not like groing up on the meat and 2 veg stuff. English breakfast ok now and again though. never had them at home no time to make.

only 4 traditonal english foods in UK top 10, bloody great cant beat a good ruby.

cant say as i found USA or Aussie food any more exiting than UK, exception HOOTERS chicken wings in USA

Edited by NALAK

500bhat for a few veg/rice dishes and a couple of beers is just expensive, never mind the quality, guys we are in Thailand a 3rd world country, chicken fried rice is 30baht, falangs just don't get it.

When ever I go, the chef is always absent. I see him on the street or riding his motorcycle. He complained to me of the heat in the kitchen.

The place is out of my way so I think I will pass on all future visits.

I might try lunch buffet during cool season in Nov or Dec.

Let's hear about the Lunch Buffet... any good?

Asked about buffet. Told coming soon.

I also was very disappointed with China Garden. Looks great, but the meal I had was mediocre. I won't be back until I hear things have changed. I was constantly surprised to see good reviews coming for the place--it was not my experience at all. I hope the owner works things out--he certainly needs a wake-up call.

I also was very disappointed with China Garden. Looks great, but the meal I had was mediocre. I won't be back until I hear things have changed. I was constantly surprised to see good reviews coming for the place--it was not my experience at all. I hope the owner works things out--he certainly needs a wake-up call.

Suppose all those positive reviews on the previous thread were his investors and/or drinking buddies...or just people who have no clue on Chinese food (Chinese or Western).

Suppose all those positive reviews on the previous thread were his investors and/or drinking buddies...or just people who have no clue on Chinese food (Chinese or Western).

Maybe but I doubt it. It seems more likely that the "chef" was initially doing something good and then got less involved and/or committed to making good Chinese food.

Despite what some people think, making really good Chinese food is an art form that is not easy to learn. You have to have a very good chef and he/she has to be committed to excellence.

The soap opera continues...what will tomorrow bring? Will the chef throw away the bottles and girls and start making food again? (By the way, I do not know that is the case.) Will a fantastic buffet materialize? Stay tuned :)

I praised this place in the closed thread and it was an honest opinion.

My next meal was a takeout and was pretty disappointed when I got home to see the portions were much smaller than my 1st sit down meal , brought this up on my next visit and was served very excellent food again.

Looking forward to the buffet they have in the works should be great if they offer up some the really well prepared dishes I have tried.

Quality control is key and probably the biggest hurdle here in Thailand where the standards are sh*t and the locals just don't realize it.