Thai Elections Likely To Be Held On July 3

webfact

Elections likely to be held on July 3

By Jeerapong Prasertpongkrang,

Somroutai Sapsomboon

The Nation

30154811-01.jpg

PM seeks Royal Decree for House dissolution

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has set the ball rolling for general elections by seeking a Royal Decree on House dissolution, and some believe that the date for balloting could be set for July 3.

"I will return [to Bangkok] and make a statement on Monday to explain details about the dissolution," he told the press, before leaving Government House yesterday afternoon to catch a flight to Jakarta, where he will attend the Asean Summit.

Abhisit said that His Majesty had been informed about his plan to dissolve the House and that a Royal Decree would be issued in accordance with the proper procedures. Instead of saying exactly when the decree would be issued, he said he would be back in time. Abhisit is expected to be back in Bangkok tomorrow.

It is still unclear when His Majesty, who has been receiving treatment at Siriraj Hospital for more than a year now, will sign the decree. The doctors are encouraging complete bed rest, because His Majesty has just undergone surgery to remove excess spinal fluid.

The premier, meanwhile, is urging all parties to stop speculating on the matter before Monday, when he is expected to officially announce the actual House dissolution date and election date.

According to the Constitution, elections should be held 45 to 60 days after the House is dissolved. Initially, the government had intimated that the balloting date might either be June 26 or July 3.

Assuming that the Royal Decree on House dissolution is announced in the Royal Gazette on Monday at the earliest, the 45-day countdown would begin on Tuesday. This means that the election might be set for June 26, though many observers believe that the date is too early for comfort.

However, a high-ranking government source told The Nation yesterday that the polls could be set for July 3.

"If the endorsement doesn't arrive by the beginning of next week, then elections cannot be held on June 26," the source said, adding that a 60-day wait might be too long for politicians, because they would want the polls to be held at the earliest.

"Long election campaigns cost a lot more money, that is why the poll could be held on July 3," the source said.

Meanwhile, the Election Commission is ready to start the electoral process as soon as His Majesty endorses the House dissolution, EC member Prapun Naigowit said.

The polling could either be held on June 26 or July 3 depending on the date of House dissolution, he said, hinting that it might be the later date if the decree is issued next week.

Prapun said the Constitution Court's review of the constitutionality of three electoral laws should not pose an obstacle to balloting.

Once the decree is issued next week, the EC could wait a few days for the court to complete its review, he said. Should the review not be ready in time, the EC could issue regulations sanctioning the poll in lieu of the organic laws, he said, adding that he still believed the high-court review would be finished in time.

There will be two different sets of days for the registration of candidates: five days for party-list candidates for proportionate voting, and five days for constituency candidates for direct voting.

To be eligible, all candidates need to belong to a party for no less than 30 days before the polling date. Candidates are not allowed dual party membership.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-07

What will be closed election day ?

I assume the bars and clubs ( no problem for me) but what about regular stores like Tesco etc.

And will weekend market be open as usual ?

I was planning my Summer trip right at that time and wonder if I need to change the dates till after the elections ,

right now my flights are one week before the elections and 2 weeks after.

Any thoughts ?

thanks

BK

What will be closed election day ?

I assume the bars and clubs ( no problem for me) but what about regular stores like Tesco etc.

And will weekend market be open as usual ?

I was planning my Summer trip right at that time and wonder if I need to change the dates till after the elections ,

right now my flights are one week before the elections and 2 weeks after.

Any thoughts ?

thanks

BK

The only things that are usually closed on election days are bars, clubs and stores or sections of stores selling alcohol.

Election likely on July 3

By The Nation

Published on May 9, 2011

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva says he expects the general election to be held in less than two months.

"The election should be on the third of July," Abhisit told Reuters yesterday on the sidelines of a meeting of Southeast Asian leaders in Jakarta. Earlier, the upcoming poll was expected to be held on either June 26 or July 3.

Abhisit said last Friday he would hold a press conference today on the dissolution of Parliament after he got back from Jakarta.

The PM has left this morning free but there was no confirmation when he would formally make an announcement.

The prime minister submitted a Royal Decree on dissolving the House last Friday. But it's unclear when His Majesty, who has been receiving treatment at Siriraj Hospital for more than a year, will sign the decree. Doctors for the King have encouraged him to get complete bed rest, because His Majesty has just undergone surgery to remove excess spinal fluid.

Meanwhile, the party that comes in second in the next election would still have the right alongside the top votewinning party to form a coalition government, the Parliament President Chai Chidchob said yesterday.

Chai said this practice was used in Australia and had occurred in Thailand previously. "In Australia, a woman was able to become the prime minister although her party won a lesser number of MPs because she could join smaller parties to form a coalition," Chai said.

"So, any party can form government if it can gather support from enough MPs."

Chai said late MR Kukrit Pramoj became prime minister although his Social Action Party had only 18 MPs, but he manฌaged to convince various groups of MPs to form a government.

Chai said the Pheu Thai Party also has a right to seek to form a coalition governฌment it if wins the most House seats in the next election.

Chai noted that both the Pheu Thai and Bhum Jai Thai came from the People Power Party so it was not certain that Bhum Jai Thai would be an opposition party if Pheu Thai wins the election.

Chai had said he planned to unveil a political surprise yesterday but said he was told be a senior person to change his mind.

Political observers believe the opposiฌtion Pheu Thai Party could win more MP seats than the ruling Democrat Party in the upcoming election.

Abac Poll of Assumption University said yesterday that Pheu Thai Party may beat the Democrats in proportional voting, and thus capturing more partylist MPs.

Nearly 37 per cent of respondents said they would vote for Pheu Thai while 34 per cent said they would vote for the Democrats. The percentage of support for the Democrats dropped from 39.6 per cent in the last survey while the support for Pheu Thai increased from 36.2 per cent from the previous survey.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-09

Nearly 37 per cent of respondents said they would vote for Pheu Thai while 34 per cent said they would vote for the Democrats. The percentage of support for the Democrats dropped from 39.6 per cent in the last survey while the support for Pheu Thai increased from 36.2 per cent from the previous survey.

With k. Thkasin's continued popularity in certain parts of the country and his recent hand-out of rich-making promises, no real surprise. "Thaksin = PTP = UDD", 'Thaksin thinks, PTP does'

Democracy in action? Sometimes I wonder :huh:

Hey Thailand, try something new for a change!

How about the candidates have televised debates and/or debates with live audiences? Naw, can't happen here, candidates would be too quick to slap defamation suits on anyone who said the slightest disparaging thing about them.

How about the parties stating their platforms in specific terms, including how they will get funds to pay for policies? Incidentally, most rich peoples' properties in Thailand are not taxed, but of course that's too big an issue to deal with.

How about allowing any Thai adult to be a candidate? Naw, only those appointed by the party politburo, and those who have a U degree can run for office.

How about educating the Thai public on what a fair election is (hint: no bribes). Naw, paying for votes is so ingrained in the Thai system, that no one party wants to really change the status quo.

Reports Indicating that Royal Endorsement Imminent; Election Likely Held on July 3

Thai media reports are indicating that a royal endorsement from His Majesty the King on the House Dissolution Decree is imminent. The prime minister's taped speech is expected to be aired at 8:30 PM tonight. If developments occur as scheduled, it is speculated that the most likely date for an election is July 3.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-05-09

footer_n.gif

BREAKING: His Majesty the King Endorses House Dissolution

His Majesty the King has endorsed the House Dissolution Decree which will take effect tomorrow, May 10. The general election will take place on July 3, 2011. The prime minister has finished taping a public address which will be aired tonight at 8:30 PM.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-05-09

footer_n.gif