Another Great Day In Chaing Mai

TheFishman1

So I am like driving my scooter around comes across Carrefour store buy a few things including Shoe Polish,coconut water,fruit,nuts,and a lot of junk I really don't need the girl says here fill this out and get 50 bht back cause you spent little over 500bht I say great,now I'm riding near the WMCA turn down this little street thinking Am I lost and I look up there a green building Massage all of them are like Blind so 100 Bht later and one hour later I'm feeling good. God you have to love this place.LOL :jap:

Maybe I misunderstood, but are you saying you used the 50 baht note you got refunded at Carrefour to pay for a massage from a blind person, that should have cost 100 baht..? That's stooping pretty low..... :(

Yea Paul, he does say 100B later...so,...... With the sometimes overwhelming frustrations of living here, it just take these kind of days to remind me of why I am here, when I get frustrated, I sometimes will go to the fresh market (Gad, or dtalaat) and shop, the sights, sounds, smiles and general ambiance of shopping there is often enough to bring up my mood.

Maybe I misunderstood, but are you saying you used the 50 baht note you got refunded at Carrefour to pay for a massage from a blind person, that should have cost 100 baht..? That's stooping pretty low..... :(

The idea that receiving a 50 baht rebate at Carrefour, and then paying the stated price for a massage at another place, which happened to have blind employees, on the same day, has any correlation, or is, in any way, a reflection of the character of the OP: is among the most stupidly stooped ad hominem assaults to appear on TV CM.

Assuming you are a troll, and not just a friend of the OP who's using the forum to "josh" him, at least get some wit, or style, or hone your blade of self-righteousness, yawn.

~o:37;

Love and hate...you had a ' Love-day' :-)

Sometimes people's friendliness can be so overwhelming, that I want to give them a small something, a present. But there are so many sweethearted people, that I don't know where to start, it would be a full time job! Santitham is a great area. And today is a great sunny day!

Although it didn't happen in Chiang Mai, I'd like to mention an incident that happened to my family yesterday in a place not too far away.

My wife, son and I had lunch in a food hall and continued on to another location a km or so away to do some shopping then to another few more kms on to do some more shopping, as we were driving home from the 3rd location my wife suddenly cried out, "Where's my gold bracelet?".

I'd bought this bracelet in Bangkok only last Sunday, it was 2 baht weight of 99.6% solid gold, the cost was just under 47,000 baht.

We back-tracked to the various locations, of course I knew thought we'd never see the bracelet again, the 3rd and 2nd locations knew nothing and reluctantly my wife went back to the food hall where we'd had lunch fearing disappointment. She asked the people at the counter where we'd bought lunch and a young guy who worked there said, "Yes, we found it under your table." He'd placed it in one of their glass cabinets hoping the owner would return. My overjoyed wife was ecstatic and offered the young guy a substantial reward for his honesty, he tried to refuse the reward but my wife insisted until he accepted it. I must admit I breathed a sigh of relief also,

Incidents like this are sadly, a bit of a rarity these days but it's great when it does happen. It restores one's faith in the human race.

Edited by Blinky Bill

That is really amazing considering that was about 6 months salary for the average Thai restaurant worker. Don't know if you would have had the same experience back home. Good to hear!

Although it didn't happen in Chiang Mai, I'd like to mention an incident that happened to my family yesterday in a place not too far away.

My wife, son and I had lunch in a food hall and continued on to another location a km or so away to do some shopping then to another few more kms on to do some more shopping, as we were driving home from the 3rd location my wife suddenly cried out, "Where's my gold bracelet?".

I'd bought this bracelet in Bangkok only last Sunday, it was 2 baht weight of 99.6% solid gold, the cost was just under 47,000 baht.

We back-tracked to the various locations, of course I knew thought we'd never see the bracelet again, the 3rd and 2nd locations knew nothing and reluctantly my wife went back to the food hall where we'd had lunch fearing disappointment. She asked the people at the counter where we'd bought lunch and a young guy who worked there said, "Yes, we found it under your table." He'd placed it in one of their glass cabinets hoping the owner would return. My overjoyed wife was ecstatic and offered the young guy a substantial reward for his honesty, he tried to refuse the reward but my wife insisted until he accepted it. I must admit I breathed a sigh of relief also,

Incidents like this are sadly, a bit of a rarity these days but it's great when it does happen. It restores one's faith in the human race.

Back in Montreal, Canada, or pretty much anywhere in the west there is no way u would have got it back believe me

Last week i forgot a bag with my notebook in a mcdonald, the employer runned about 400 meter to give it back to me. Gotta luv this place

Sawasdee Khrup, Chiang Mai TV Friends,

Khun Blinky, that's a most heartening story, and reminds that twice we've had luggage forgotten that was carefully preserved, and successfully retrieved, because of the honesty of a driver: once by one the old Don Muang taxi services; and, in the case of a recent trip by air to Udon Thani, the company that runs a mini-van service from the UT airport to the Friendship Bridge.

Perhaps this world in which there is so much horror, hatred, violence, injustice, and inequity, in some mysterious way, beyond our ability to know, is salvaged by the un-seen, un-noticed virtue of small acts of kindness, which don't make the headlines ?

We examine our human's mind-soul in the context of his life, and he comes up short in so many ways: but we feel redemption is possible today, perhaps even tomorrow :)

We find wondrous that the teacher known as "The Buddha" commented, in his teaching on loving kindness, "karuna metta," to the villagers of Rajagaha, that said loving-kindness "is sixteen times more efficacious in liberating the heart than all other religious accomplishments taken together."

But, we couldn't graduate from Buddhist kindergarten even after repeating it 108 times: we're from the west, and we have lived by the sword, and may well die with it, from it, or on it.

Ah, well, best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Some years back my ex-partner from Hong Kong was on a buying trip in Thailand,while shopping at the weekend market ,didn't realize until much later that she dropped her money pouch containing a large sum of cash,something like 4-$5,000usd. Hard to believe,but she did actually get the pouch and the money back. Apparently it was found and turned into the admin. of Chatuchak where she had left her contact info.

Amazingly,the money would have had to of gone through several hands before it got to her..... she asked who found it,they said a sweeper/cleaner at the market who they said is a real Buddhist.

This country is full of contradictions and there are real people around..... having good Karma must help too jap.gif

Left my wallet on a bench at Airport Plaza, got a call a few days later, going to drop it my apartment....wow,o.k , I wait, who shows up,a family on a honda dream, Man hands the wallet over ,inside all my cards including 600 baht ! I smiled and gave the money to the guy whom I am sure could use it. moral of the stories.... the least corrupted people live at the bottom of the social ladder.

Good stories all, and a reminder that not all people are devious and scheming. I'm not superstitious or religious, but I kind of believe in good kharma. It certainly seems to have worked for me.

There are lots of stories similar to those posted but seldom do we hear about them. Happy news does not sell newspapers or raise public interest. People seem to expect the sinister nature of humans to domineer. Having expressed that opinion, I wonder what Blinky had been up to, that he would purchase such a nice gift for the better half?

Now I am not trying to insinuate anything nor being snoopy. Knowing Blinky, he may have just been in another of his frequent generous moods.

There are lots of stories similar to those posted but seldom do we hear about them. Happy news does not sell newspapers or raise public interest. People seem to expect the sinister nature of humans to domineer. Having expressed that opinion, I wonder what Blinky had been up to, that he would purchase such a nice gift for the better half?

Now I am not trying to insinuate anything nor being snoopy. Knowing Blinky, he may have just been in another of his frequent generous moods.

Good stories, bad stories. I think Thai women take the biscuit. My ex-wife, Ami, of 6 years told me she wanted to leave me. We agreed in a sophisticated and adult way. Now this is an educated woman, 2 degrees and so on. She'd spent 6 months using my money buying presents for her boyfriend (Thai). Denied it off course, but the proof was obvious. When I bought this house, she 100% agreed that it would always be mine and that she would have no claim on it, and she confirmed that many times when she left. (sick joke); When she left she asked for 250 thousand baht, I gave her close to 600k, plus a car and all her expensive designer clothes, jewellry and handbags and so on. She kept coming back, 20k for this, 40k for that. And she snicked money out of the house account, phone for her sister and so on. Like a fool (off course, she said we were good friends and would always remain so .....) I treated her well. As soon as I got a girlfriend, she wanted more money, the house and so on.

Even educated Thai women are liars and cheats and I wouldn't trust any of them. The stress was unbearable. What is so sad, that I had an ex-wife who behaved the same way and off course Ami hated her and said she would never behave like that. So now she has this happy life wearing things that I paid for, driving a car that I paid for and so on. She calls herself a buddhist. I hope she rots in buddhist hell. Such a nasty individual. Too many of them in Thailand. Scum and filth.

Good stories, bad stories. I think Thai women take the biscuit. My ex-wife, Ami, of 6 years told me she wanted to leave me. We agreed in a sophisticated and adult way. Now this is an educated woman, 2 degrees and so on. She'd spent 6 months using my money buying presents for her boyfriend (Thai). Denied it off course, but the proof was obvious. When I bought this house, she 100% agreed that it would always be mine and that she would have no claim on it, and she confirmed that many times when she left. (sick joke); When she left she asked for 250 thousand baht, I gave her close to 600k, plus a car and all her expensive designer clothes, jewellry and handbags and so on. She kept coming back, 20k for this, 40k for that. And she snicked money out of the house account, phone for her sister and so on. Like a fool (off course, she said we were good friends and would always remain so .....) I treated her well. As soon as I got a girlfriend, she wanted more money, the house and so on.

Even educated Thai women are liars and cheats and I wouldn't trust any of them. The stress was unbearable. What is so sad, that I had an ex-wife who behaved the same way and off course Ami hated her and said she would never behave like that. So now she has this happy life wearing things that I paid for, driving a car that I paid for and so on. She calls herself a buddhist. I hope she rots in buddhist hell. Such a nasty individual. Too many of them in Thailand. Scum and filth.

Consider yourself lucky, mate. A million baht is only about US$33,000, chicken feed compared to what it would have cost you in the other world. I have a mate on this forum who is a retired divorce attorney from the US. I'm sure he could tell some horror stories from which he profited over the years. Of course, no names mentioned.

And kudos to you for making the boyfriend a happy guy. :)

Ahh,... you've never been to the blind massage. they do know the difference. I guess it's something I've taken for granted, but the Thai bills/notes are different sizes and texture. The masseuse knows exactly how much you've handed them without any assistance. Pretty amazing.

He wouldn't know the difference. :D

Hi All,

As i also comming to cm in july for the first time i like reading about the place and enjoing the stories of the massage and that one can be happy around here.

I am also divorced in the netherlands, and am glad to hear from you the horror stories its a pitty that such things happen but it make my mind stonger to keep single and only enjoy the thai girls once in a while i thing it saves a big buck in the long run

thank you all

Some years back my ex-partner from Hong Kong was on a buying trip in Thailand,while shopping at the weekend market ,didn't realize until much later that she dropped her money pouch containing a large sum of cash,something like 4-$5,000usd. Hard to believe,but she did actually get the pouch and the money back. Apparently it was found and turned into the admin. of Chatuchak where she had left her contact info.

Amazingly,the money would have had to of gone through several hands before it got to her..... she asked who found it,they said a sweeper/cleaner at the market who they said is a real Buddhist.

This country is full of contradictions and there are real people around..... having good Karma must help too jap.gif

Left my wallet on a bench at Airport Plaza, got a call a few days later, going to drop it my apartment....wow,o.k , I wait, who shows up,a family on a honda dream, Man hands the wallet over ,inside all my cards including 600 baht ! I smiled and gave the money to the guy whom I am sure could use it. moral of the stories.... the least corrupted people live at the bottom of the social ladder.

:rolleyes:

..... all her expensive designer clothes, jewellry and handbags and so on.

What is so sad, that I had an ex-wife who behaved the same way .....

.....Too many of them in Thailand. Scum and filth.

Do you think maybe you have a knack for finding them or cultivating them?

As for the happy stories, they happen everywhere. Yo Yo Ma left his cello it a taxi for example. Stories abound in the US of honesty over greed.

I recall in Tijuana, of all places, a cab driver tracking a tourist down to return a $300 cell phone. It goes on.

Do you think maybe you have a knack for finding them or cultivating them?

As for the happy stories, they happen everywhere. Yo Yo Ma left his cello it a taxi for example. Stories abound in the US of honesty over greed.

I recall in Tijuana, of all places, a cab driver tracking a tourist down to return a $300 cell phone. It goes on.

How appropriate, on a thread celebrating the good and honest acts Thais have done for farangs, to have a post by a farang exemplifying the opposite of compassion for other people's real-life tragedies and difficulties !

Of course, you are absolutely right: since honest and kind acts occur everywhere, there is no need to celebrate them, relish them, or dwell on them. Why, indeed, distract yourself from the raptures of schadenfreude ?

sorrowfully, ~o:37;