Cost Og Paint Job For Car

jayinoz

All work on cars is pretty cheap in Thai- they high cost is in buying....what does a good paint job go for... and any details of the guys would be great. As needing to put in seatbelts in back seat and paint job\little body work on a fixer up car.

I hear the cheapo paint quotes do a crap job- if no good I gather u can refuse to pay until good.

Is it true u need at least 5 layers of paint- plus old color totally removed.

Any half honest shops would be grateful to hear...

Cheers Jay

Can only answer the questions about painting the car...

If the current paint is in good condition you just need to rough it up a bit tongive the new paint something to get a purchase onto. In Aus they use the pads like a rough scotch-pad. No need to remove the paint.

If the paint isn't in good condition, you do need to remove paint until you get back to good paint. I usually keep going until you can see the undercoat. You DON'T want to go back to bare metal unless it is a show car and you intend to do a lot of work on the body.

3 coats is enough, but it isn't like a house. You just keep going, painting everything in order till you have done 3 coats (maybe more if you are putting a light colour over dark). no leaving it to dry between coats.

I was quoted 55,000 to paint my old black Toyota to go to a lighter colour. This was at a top class shop, insurance only it seemed from the cars there having partial painting done, all new vehicles. Place had full modern equipment.

However, I had not asked a Thai friend along nor did I offer to bargain, as their starting point was so high - or is that hi-so?

Edited by CMX

I was quoted 55,000 on my old black compact Corona Toyota to go to a lighter colour. This was at a top class shop, insurance only it seemed from the cars there having partial painting done, all new vehicles. However, I had not asked a Thai friend along nor did I offer to bargain, as their starting point was so high - or is that hi-so.;)

Edited by CMX

In Pattaya, for my rather large SUV, I was quoted B 40k. This was at a professional body and paint shop used by the major car insurers for accident repairs. Had a peek at their paint shop and it seemed modern enough...completely enclosed an all.

if it is a full strip down, meaning seats and interior come out as well as the engine to paint the engine bay, then strip down the old paint. 40k-55k is appropriate.

An alternative to painting might be wrapping the car. Like they wrap cars with ads, except you use the same color film. I saw a company offering this service at a car show in the Airport Plaza, but don't have a contact. I also see a car parked in our building with mate black wrap job. Looks really good. Have no idea if it's cheaper tho.

Yes, my quote was from a very professional shop with indoor facilities only (new appearance and bright and clean) with their own separate baking room. Included very rough bumper work and thick black coat to remove. One area on the door of rust to repair.

• 11 years later...

My 20-year old Suzuki Vitara has a few rust spots and both bumpers need attention and filling before painting - I was quoted 40,000 late last year by the local guy - the only issue was the roof which had been bleached almost white by the sun over the years. I decided to give it a darn good clean up instead!

Five years ago the quote was 10,000 - wish i'd gone for it then but my husband was on the last stages of his illness and I didn't want to be car-less at that time.