Cnx Travel Agents Vs Online Airline Tx Purchase

CMMCB

Hi all,

On another thread, several people seem to think that buying airline tickets online is cheaper than buying them through local travel agents, but this is definitely not my experience. Of course many budget airlines deal exclusively online, but for the traditional airlines I find agents often have access to fares which I cannot match via their websites or via the supposed cheap fares websites.

What's your experience?

CMMCB

I think that it can be true however I doubt that if you spend a bit of time online, you can't match or better any agents price either through online agents like zuji, travelocity, expedia etc... As you also pointed out, many discount airlines only sell on their websites and most airlines nowadays have their specials on their sites too. I am even finding that hotels are matching agents prices more and more too. I'd hate to be the owner of a travel agency nowadays, you have to pull your hair out to try to provide added value to get customers.

The other thing that I find is that very few agents are prepared to take the time to research different possibilities for more complicated itineraries. I saved about 35% by making my own arrangements for a trip from Hong Kong to the Dominican Republic and Colombia. That was from the best quote I got from 3 different agents...

Traditional air ticket agents have seen better days. The Airlines with savvy have all developed online marketing.

I recall 4-5 years ago the online price index from airlines was much higher than an agents, now it is reversed and with better prices than I could ever expect to get from a Thai-agent. Just last month bought 3-tixs to Vancouver from CM and checked with the airlines agent at the airport,they quoted me 12,000 more than the online price and then tried to convince me about the price just going up wink.gif - I have always dislike 'the middleman/women' ,thankfully with the empowerment of the internet they get their throats cut.

Bonus - can pick your seats!

I've found it best to do your own research on both airline sites as well as online discounters. Google "Matrix Airfares" for another good option - this site has routing for about 75% of the worlds airlines on one site, and will search and give you ALL of the options for a particular routing, one-way or round-trip, but you cannot book through the site.

After I have put together what I think is a good itinerary, I take it to the travel agent to see if they have anything better.

Well pass on the good agent, then! 555

I booked with exploretrip getting here from the USA, but there were some hurdles and problems just before our flight took off. We DID, however, wind up in much nicer seats on a much nicer airline with a more desirable itinerary, even though it left about ten hours later than my originally booked flight.

I also know of hipmunk, which was developed by a man who doesn't want to take a cut - he just wants searching for affordable airfare to be easier.

I have used kayak.com for cheap air flights for the past 2 years....after my first trip to Thailand last year I had a 70 day layover in Hawaii before heading back to Seattle...after being in Thailand 6 months I was in shock at the prices which aren't much better in Seattle...

Well pass on the good agent, then! 555

I also know of hipmunk, which was developed by a man who doesn't want to take a cut - he just wants searching for affordable airfare to be easier.

The agent is P&P, which many on TV CM forum seem to recommend too.

Will check out hipmunk. Thanks.

CMMCB

Thanks Yelly: I've just spent half an hour on the Hipmunk site and it is really great for visualising many different timing options and sorting according to price, 'agony', etc. I haven't found a better deal than my travel agent found yet but it's certainly thrown up more possibilities and made comparisons MUCH easier than trawling through other sites I've used. Excellent!

CMMCB

Does anyone know what airlines fly out of CNX with a final destination of LAX? I know China Airlines used to as I did that route in 2008 (booked through an agent here) but they don't anymore. I'd like to check out what the fares are advertised directly from the airlines.

Thanks for anyone's help.

Thanks Yelly: I've just spent half an hour on the Hipmunk site and it is really great for visualising many different timing options and sorting according to price, 'agony', etc. I haven't found a better deal than my travel agent found yet but it's certainly thrown up more possibilities and made comparisons MUCH easier than trawling through other sites I've used. Excellent!

CMMCB

I agree that Hipmunk is an interesting place to start. I just plugged in my usual route (JFK-CNX-JFK) and I was given a choice of 21 different flights with 17 different airline combinations. However, I have no problem booking a flight on an airline they didn't even mention, $400 cheaper than the cheapest option they gave me. I can also get hipmunk's first choice for about $400 less by going direct to the airlines' websites.

I agree that Hipmunk is an interesting place to start. I just plugged in my usual route (JFK-CNX-JFK) and I was given a choice of 21 different flights with 17 different airline combinations. However, I have no problem booking a flight on an airline they didn't even mention, $400 cheaper than the cheapest option they gave me. I can also get hipmunk's first choice for about $400 less by going direct to the airlines' websites.

Too late for me to "edit" so I have to reply to my own post ...

I figured out part of my problem with hipmunk. I changed the dates and got the missing flights. Still cheaper to do it directly on the airline's own site though.

From Thailand, I have found consistently I can almost always save A LOT of money using travel agents in Thailand. When I used to travel from the US, I had great luck online. Originating in Thailand just seems totally different. I am talking long haul trips, not hops to Singapore.

P&P are good as many retail travel agencies in hotels, small shops, GHs, most retails, etc go through them. They can beat most online pricing on serious distances and save you a lot of time\money if multi legs. Yet request wholesale pricing by giving a comparison and they will come down. Even if you have not, knock 5% off and see what they say. Generally I cannot see them making much over 4-5% myself. Having owned one back a few years ago... Pricing was often far better going through them than being a direct agent for the airlines- what tha.... they are in the know....

For shorter trips cannot beat Asia Asia deals and Jetstar I have found. Direct on their websites... Friday deal day especially- also even moreso in bargain low season rates now.

Cheers JAY

I have just booked my next trip to Johannesburg at the THAI office in town & saved THB 11000 on the fare quoted on their website, which is saving of over 20%.biggrin.gif It pays to shop around even though I often use the internet. Of course there are conditions on super cheap tickets but so long as you make sure that you understand what you are buying you are fine. I am afraid that travel agents are not 'a long term career prospect' though.