Rubber Trees

You need to take an average throughout the whole season.remember beginning and end of year r less flow.He is not offering u thiss price because its good for u but because its good for him.If the time comes its not good for him he will ask for more.Also Who is paying for fertilizer?If the rate of share was 60% 40%for the worker then pui fertilizer is also shared at same rate.Worker pays 40% of that.

Be very carefull.Thais are smart

Good luck with it

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You need to take an average throughout the whole season.remember beginning and end of year r less flow.He is not offering u thiss price because its good for u but because its good for him.If the time comes its not good for him he will ask for more.Also Who is paying for fertilizer?If the rate of share was 60% 40%for the worker then pui fertilizer is also shared at same rate.Worker pays 40% of that.

Be very carefull.Thais are smart

Good luck with it

I am paying for all the costs - fertilizer, fuel etc. Not sure whether that 500b a day is only for the days they are tapping (ie 20 out of 30 days hopefully) or all month. Talking with him and the missus' mum we were thinking that we should find them somewhere nearby to live. Not on the farm as we are worried about them stealing the yang. Her younger brother can stay a lot of the time and we will be up there a third of the time to watch over it. Have to build a strong lockup for the pumps, generator etc as well as the last pump and all the fertilizer was stolen from our other farm when no-one was there. Big bolts and chains into the concrete as well I think!

Ok.if u will b running pumps to water 4000 trees this will cost u..If you pay for any day they dont tap.I can guarantee you will make a loss.Forget it dont start.

They didnt offer to work for you for 60% for you and 40% for them because they know 500 bart per day is much better for them.So this meens you are going to be making much less than 60% .

Also you will have days when it may rain and they only tap half or a third of the trees.Sometimes rain will wash it all away.Not there problem they still get paid.This is all your loss.

If theft is a problem in your area .Dont start if you are not going to be there.

Remember Im trying to help u not abuse you and good luck.

Edited by cobbler

Ok.if u will b running pumps to water 4000 trees this will cost u..If you pay for any day they dont tap.I can guarantee you will make a loss.Forget it dont start. They didnt offer to work for you for 60% for you and 40% for them because they know 500 bart per day is much better for them.So this meens you are going to be making much less than 60% . Also you will have days when it may rain and they only tap half or a third of the trees.Sometimes rain will wash it all away.Not there problem they still get paid.This is all your loss. If theft is a problem in your area .Dont start if you are not going to be there. Remember Im trying to help u not abuse you and good luck. Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thnx cobbler. Not pumping water for these trees, just for us. Wish I knew of an area in LOS where theft isn't a problem. Can always run with the 40/60 scenario. At your leisure, do you know what they are getting for fresh in your area?

Cheers

Mr 69er

No sorry mate.dont know wat liquid is here.We lookef at it 2 years ago.It ended up we would have got less than the same amount of sheets..I know this because I measured it all out.Nobody in this area does it much.Mostly just a few owner cutters who r too tired to make sheet,because they work most of the day and night.different areas are different though.If your workers are wanting to sell liquid.I can see why.Because they still get 500 bart in th hand .So not there problem.Might be different if it was 60% 40%.

Good you dont need to pump water onto your trees as it all eats into your proffit..

If getting workers looks like being a problem.Be careful they dont start working for you then hold you over a barell knowing you cant find other workers.Not to mention good tappers not butchers.

Do you own land in this area already?If not maybe you could look at an area that has plenty myanma or mon workers.We hav mon and they r excellent.Have many down here but they dont venture up your way much for many reasons.

I hope this waffle is of some help to you.

Regards Cobbler

If you pay workers 500 Bath and you have 4,000 trees and they are cut every 3 night, you need 3 good cutters. you will end up paying 15,000 from your own pocket per month. according to what I've seen here in Loie .. with next week's price yang pala...

If you pay workers 500 Bath and you have 4,000 trees and they are cut every 3 night, you need 3 good cutters. you will end up paying 15,000 from your own pocket per month. according to what I've seen here in Loie .. with next week's price yang pala...

to b continued right?

Tappers need to be on-site. Nobody seen living on-site will guarantee theft, especially with cup. Can't trust the tappers; don't hire them. There has to be mutual trust (even better - friendship) between employee and employer.

Mike.

Tappers need to be on-site. Nobody seen living on-site will guarantee theft, especially with cup. Can't trust the tappers; don't hire them. There has to be mutual trust (even better - friendship) between employee and employer.

Mike.

Better to have a (responsible) family member as a manager as it's his profit loss if there is theft.....

Tappers need to be on-site. Nobody seen living on-site will guarantee theft, especially with cup.  Can't trust the tappers; don't hire them. There has to be mutual trust (even better - friendship) between employee and employer.

Mike.

Better to have a (responsible) family member as a manager as it's his profit loss if there is theft.....
100% agree with that.but not too friendly.or they can l lose respect.Its a balance.korkdee

Mike.

100% agree with that.but not too friendly.or they can l lose respect.Its a balance.korkdee

Indeed Cobbler.... keep the nose up in the air just a couple of degrees only..... (and give out a bonus if the profit is good....)

Tappers need to be on-site. Nobody seen living on-site will guarantee theft, especially with cup.  Can't trust the tappers; don't hire them. There has to be mutual trust (even better - friendship) between employee and employer.

Mike.

Indeed Cobbler.... keep the nose up in the air just a couple of degrees only..... (and give out a bonus if the profit is good....)
thats what the lao kow is for I think.loo but not too much or ute wan .No tapping tonite because mow leow lol

Mosha, I hope things don't get washed away.

Are you receiving above season rains?.

Locals are saying it was the wettest day in a generation.

post-104736-0-97291400-1374965631.jpg

Mate ... excuse my pun ... but in the end ... how did things wash up for you?

I hope everything was saved, including your crop?

We hav had awsome rain ever since b4 songkla.Songkla was raining.ever since then its been great.Had a closed period of 4 weeks.Had so much rain most of Bangsaphan area opened.Bananas r growing like mushrooms..Hope everybody is gowing well now.

Edited by cobbler

There was talk on thai news last night rubber bieng 60 per kilo but oil is due to rise so should increase prices.Hmmm dont hold your breath.Not surprised if next year it drops further.60 per kilo will make it difficult for some farms with less output to keep a worker.40% will just not enough for them to survive on.

Time will tell.Brest of luck to all in this difficult time.

Did it mention what type of rubber? RSS, USS, Fresh? Maybe Kee Yang! Just about to buy another 60 rai but not feeling very confident about the income.

Greg

You are right to be concerned about the ability of a new investment in a Thai Rubber plantation delivering a good level of income in the future.

Rubber prices will be depressed for many years to come.

Modern clones with double the latex yield & the massive expansion of planting in non traditional rubber areas of SE Asia are game changers.

People may say that the rubber price moves with the price of oil.

However the price of rubber could easily decouple from the price of oil, due to the game changers mentioned above.

This decoupling has already happened to Natural gas in the US, due to the invention of shale gas hydraulic fracking, which changed the game.

If you add in the recent inflation in land and labour costs in Thailand, you would be wise to rethink your idea.

There was talk on thai news last night rubber bieng 60 per kilo but oil is due to rise so should increase prices.Hmmm dont hold your breath.Not surprised if next year it drops further.60 per kilo will make it difficult for some farms with less output to keep a worker.40% will just not enough for them to survive on.

Did it mention what type of rubber? RSS, USS, Fresh? Maybe Kee Yang! Just about to buy another 60 rai but not feeling very confident about the income.

Greg

You are right to be concerned about the ability of a new investment in a Thai Rubber plantation delivering a good level of income in the future.

Modern clones with double the latex yield & the massive expansion of planting in non traditional rubber areas of SE Asia are game changers.

However the price of rubber could easily decouple from the price of oil, due to the game changers mentioned above.

This decoupling has already happened to Natural gas in the US, due to the invention of shale gas hydraulic fracking, which changed the game.

If you add in the recent inflation in land and labour costs in Thailand, you would be wise to rethink your idea.

Greg

Greg

Hi folks. U[date from last week. Stream quickly went back, our tappers suffered the worst as they live downstairs. Trees are up on the hill, so no worries there, just palm oil in the flooded area. Thx to all comcerned and sorry for not getting back. Computer problems, and I've had flu.

• Like 2

Hi folks. U[date from last week. Stream quickly went back, our tappers suffered the worst as they live downstairs. Trees are up on the hill, so no worries there, just palm oil in the flooded area. Thx to all comcerned and sorry for not getting back. Computer problems, and I've had flu.

Hi Mosha.Good to hear things are ok down there.Hope u feel better.U should b getting some good flo down your way.Our weight per sheet has increased this year.Put it down to better pui.and better rain.Also its been lovely and cool too.

Cheers Cobbler

Greg

+1 i'm afraid. Possibly time to sell a plantation or two, before the locals (who are still planting) wise up. I'm serious.

Mike.

Greg

+1 i'm afraid. Possibly time to sell a plantation or two, before the locals (who are still planting) wise up. I'm serious.

Mike.

When there is oversupply of a product, the price will be forced down until the supply is reduced to balance demand.

The supply of rubber will only be reduced when economics force plantation owners to stop production, go out of business, or change to other crops.

This has already happened in Malaysia, as their rubber plantations struggled to compete with the lower wages in Thailand.

It is important to look at the economics of your plantation, compared to others.

A local family who own 20 Rai, are debt free & tap their own rubber trees will still do OK, long after a farang plantation owner who employs tappers has gone out of business.

Greg

Mike.

When there is oversupply of a product, the price will be forced down until the supply is reduced to balance demand.

The supply of rubber will only be reduced when economics force plantation owners to stop production, go out of business, or change to other crops.

This has already happened in Malaysia, as their rubber plantations struggled to compete with the lower wages in Thailand.

It is important to look at the economics of your plantation, compared to others.

A local family who own 20 Rai, are debt free & tap their own rubber trees will still do OK, long after a farang plantation owner who employs tappers has gone out of business.

Absolutely agree.If u r sharing 50 50 not 60 40. Or maybe even worse than 50 50.U r being conned..Will not survive difficult times ahead.Unless u have a hell of a lot of rai.I came to the conclusdion.If I was going to hav 200 rai of rubber trees here.I could have a great life in oz with that much money..Be very careful. Good luck.

Wife told me in bangsaphan sheet price was 64 per kilo.

Edited by cobbler

well after the seven plus years finally ready to open them up and then the price goes south. talked with the family that are going to cut, around the 30 baht level is just to low for them too work, not even cutting their own trees at this price.

when we planted the trees i was thinking about 50 pence to sell cup (uk pound) a kg. still looks like that too me, but thinking in pounds just dont work for local people. gotta feel for the workers, not even worth the bother. still will just wait and maybe wait so more..........

over the years have bought and sold land with rubber on it, mainly buy with trees that are 1 or 2 years old, that are not in that good nick, then sell on when nearly ready to tap. what with the falling pound and the land getting more expensive can/ have made ok money back. around udon thani you always hear of rubber plantations for sale, good or bad who knows? at the present i would not consider selling the rubber trees we have, its been long wait to get this far and can wait longer to get somethings back from what we have planted.

if someone said to me would i plant more trees the answer would be no. lands too expensive and too long a wait for a return.

Greg

Mike.

Absolutely agree.If u r sharing 50 50 not 60 40. Or maybe even worse than 50 50.U r being conned..Will not survive difficult times ahead.Unless u have a hell of a lot of rai.I came to the conclusdion.If I was going to hav 200 rai of rubber trees here.I could have a great life in oz with that much money..Be very careful. Good luck.

Cobbler and others,

I concur with the general tone and direction in which this thread and rubber are going. If one has, say, 150 rai of rubber plantations and the land prices are decent around one's particular area, I suggest to sell 50 rai out of the 150. You will still make a fair wage with the 100 rai of rubber. I decided to do just this and give my farm manager a bonus after the land sale (B-I-L is manager and rubber profit/costs are 50:50). I'm not as optimistic as I was a year ago.....

Greg

Mike.

Cobbler and others,

I concur with the general tone and direction in which this thread and rubber are going. If one has, say, 150 rai of rubber plantations and the land prices are decent around one's particular area, I suggest to sell 50 rai out of the 150. You will still make a fair wage with the 100 rai of rubber. I decided to do just this and give my farm manager a bonus after the land sale (B-I-L is manager and rubber profit/costs are 50:50). I'm not as optimistic as I was a year ago.....

hmmmm I hear u and agree

Hi, I am pretty new to this forum. I am now living Myanmar after living in Canada for a decade or so. I am planting about 100 rai in Mon state( lower part of Myanmar). I am planting BP 24 this Year and plan to do rrit 251 next year.I get lot of info by reading this forum and really glad you folks are sharing your experience on the Internet.Here people are planting rubber mostly in traditional way. I try to follow how you farangs :) are doing it.

Hi, I am pretty new to this forum. I am now living Myanmar after living in Canada for a decade or so. I am planting about 100 rai in Mon state( lower part of Myanmar). I am planting BP 24 this Year and plan to do rrit 251 next year.I get lot of info by reading this forum and really glad you folks are sharing your experience on the Internet.Here people are planting rubber mostly in traditional way. I try to follow how you farangs :) are doing it.

Hi mr Hancho.and a big welcome from all of us.

Mate what can I say.Youv got some big kahoonas there.Especially in the nomans land area of mon.Awsome people the mon.We have only mon.So loyal and honest.My wifes aunty who have more than 1000 rai of rubber also has only mon.They seem to really apreciate a job.Most of them have some land back home however ,because they are mon.They r neither Thai or myanmar citizens .Although they consider themselves Thai.Therefor cant own land in either country.The rubber that they do get is patially taken by the local police and gov officials so not enough for themselves.So they end up coming to tap in thailand.

Maybe u r aware of this or not I dont know.My meaning is.Careful how much money u sink into the project.Only sink in what u can afford to lose.

Things may improve in the future.But dont hold ur breast.

Severe poverty makes people do many things.As u often hear our posters talk about here in Thai.Especially in certain areas.

Think myanmar would be a fascinating place.

Look forward to your future postings.

Regards cobbler

Edited by cobbler