Expat’S New Thai Vocabulary Down To 3 Words Per Year

george

SATIRE:

Expat’s New Thai Vocabulary Down To 3 Words Per Year

puzzled.jpg

Despite nine years in Thailand, knows less than 200 words

28 Apr 2011

BANGKOK – A long-time expat’s acquisition of new Thai words reached an all-time low of three per annum in 2010, according to his friends.

Sources who know Trevor Feldman, a 38-year-old American who has lived in Thailand for nine years, report that he only managed to learn three new Thai words during all of last year. Feldman’s total Thai vocabulary has now reached 187 words, most of which are related to food, taxi directions and retail transactions.

The drop in Feldman’s Thai-learning rate is, however, consistent with a steady decline that began the first year he arrived in Bangkok, during which he took a three-week basic Thai-speaking class. Since then, his vocabulary acquisition dived from 50 words a year to 30 the next year, and 16.5 the year after that.

The three words he learned in 2010 are “phrai,” during last year’s red-shirt rallies, “dek” after the birth of his daughter, and “see muang” while shopping for curtains for his high-rise condominium.

When questioned about his pathetic rate of Thai learning, as well as the generally sad state of non-fluency despite having spent nearly a decade of his adult life here, Feldman mumbled some explanation about being “bad at foreign languages” and “not having a chance to use Thai.”

Closer examination of Feldman’s lifestyle, however, revealed that not only is he married to a Thai national, but also works with dozens of them at his finance job. Additionally, he encounters approximately 30 Thai persons on a daily basis.

Most damning of all, however, is the fact that almost all of Feldman’s other expatriate friends speak Thai at either fluent or semi-fluent levels.

“Trevor’s just lazy,” said Dean Lamar, his long-time friend. “He’s like those tattooed lifers you see in Pattaya, only he’s got a respectable office job so he gets away with it.”

Analysts predict Feldman’s infant daughter, Audrey, will surpass her father’s Thai abilities in November.

-- NotTheNation 2011-05=12

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can relate to his position. I have lived here most of 5 years now. I couldnot find anyone to teach me thai on a one to one bases till this year. Every time I would inquire about getting someone to teach me they said donot need classes I can teach you . But they wouldnot commit to times or rates just teach when we talk. and when we talked they want to practice english.Well this didnot work for me. Now I have a teacher 1 hour day for conversation my Thai is improving rather quickly.

I took a course in Pitsanulok 4 years ago it was one on one learning and learnt one word.There was less than 5 minutes spent on teaching me the tones. It came with a book. Now with the help of my new teacher I can speak everything in the book .

I find learning thai very difficult because in practical use with anyone other than friends I run into everything from shock that a falang is speaking thai and all communication is lost or if I make a small mistake all conversation is lost trying to sort what was meant. I have met people and said sawdee krap and their reply was "I donot speak english". Then a freind of theirs would tell them I said sawdee krap and they would reply and smile.

I can relate to his position. I have lived here most of 5 years now. I couldnot find anyone to teach me thai on a one to one bases till this year. Every time I would inquire about getting someone to teach me they said donot need classes I can teach you . But they wouldnot commit to times or rates just teach when we talk. and when we talked they want to practice english.Well this didnot work for me. Now I have a teacher 1 hour day for conversation my Thai is improving rather quickly.

I took a course in Pitsanulok 4 years ago it was one on one learning and learnt one word.There was less than 5 minutes spent on teaching me the tones. It came with a book. Now with the help of my new teacher I can speak everything in the book .

I find learning thai very difficult because in practical use with anyone other than friends I run into everything from shock that a falang is speaking thai and all communication is lost or if I make a small mistake all conversation is lost trying to sort what was meant. I have met people and said sawdee krap and their reply was "I donot speak english". Then a freind of theirs would tell them I said sawdee krap and they would reply and smile.

There is more than one approach to learning to speak Thai. At the start vocabulary can be more important than perfect tone mastery. Very few can manage perfect tones, if however a person has sufficient vocabulary then a Thai will manage to understand what you are trying to convey. There are always pitfalls in learning any language. The first foreign language I ever learned was Swedish and the difficulty there was that whenever any Swede heard my first tortuous attempts they would instantly respond in effortless English. :annoyed:

Feldman’s total Thai vocabulary has now reached 187 words, most of which are related to food, taxi directions and retail transactions.

So well above average, well done

It would appear already that some are struggling with the English word "satire". Another language might be a tall order for them.

Satire, or not, if he is learning 3 new Thai words a year, he is doing better than me. I studied Thai for 3 years - 20 years ago - and have been forgetting much of it and going backwards ever since. :ermm:

Edited by Ulysses G.

It would appear already that some are struggling with the English word "satire". Another language might be a tall order for them.

Satire, or not, if he is learning 3 new Thai words a year, he is doing better than me. I studied Thai for 3 years - 20 years ago - and have been forgetting much of it and going backwards ever since. :ermm:

I'm the same actually U.G.

I used to be able to speak Thai much better than I can now.

I'm the same actually U.G.

I used to be able to speak Thai much better than I can now.

I was at my best when I used to teach English grammar in Thai - which you are not supposed to do - but it has been steadily downhill after that. :D

Some of us just aren't that gifted. :jap:

One would think after 20 years of every day interaction and absorption, something would rub off.

Some of us just aren't that gifted

One would think after 20 years of every day interaction and absorption, something would rub off.

Don't worry. Your English is not really that bad, but just keep trying, drop the pretentious act and try to have some actual point when you post. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

I have been here nearly 6 years now..... I have never had lessons or anything formal like that. I do have a Thai wife but she doesn't need to teach me. I'm out and about all day and whether it be work of shopping i just listen interact and put into practice everything i hear...... Now i'm well understood, may not be 100% but i can hold a perfectly decent conversation on my own without helpjap.gif

Don't worry. Your English is not really that bad, but just keep trying, drop the pretentious act and try to have some actual point when you post. :)

...which really has nothing to do with those long-time residents that are rather thicko when stumbling over their Thai. ;)

I have been here nearly 6 years now..... I have never had lessons or anything formal like that. I do have a Thai wife but she doesn't need to teach me. I'm out and about all day and whether it be work of shopping i just listen interact and put into practice everything i hear...... Now i'm well understood, may not be 100% but i can hold a perfectly decent conversation on my own without helpjap.gif

Perfectly good way of learning Thai. Formal lessons can often deter people as they struggle believing they have to be perfect. I'm a great believer that you should never be afraid to be misunderstood. :rolleyes:

Speaking good Thai, bad Thai or no Thai at all can be due to many factors.

Age can be a draw back. It is true what the wise man says; that old dogs can’t be taught new tricks. The older we get the more difficult it becomes to pick up the language.

And it is a fact that some people have better abilities to learn new languages than others. Some just have a knack I guess.

It is of course just plain laziness with some people. They take it for granted that where ever they go, there will always be Thais that speak some English, so one way or another the farang will be able to make himself understood, then why bother learning to speak Thai is the attitude.

In my case I speak about 20% Thai. Enough to ask for something but could never hold proper conversation in Thai and I have been here since the Stone Age. I have no problems with the words, but just cannot get my tongue around the tones. Sometimes because of the tones I find it difficult to identify the words clearly.

Also that if ever I thought I was in with a chance to become a real Thai citizen, I would then have much more enthusiasm and interest in learning the language because I would feel more like a part of this society rather than the present situation where I could be thrown out on 7 days notice. For many years with me the incentives to turn native have not been there for these reasons.

That’s my excuse, anyway, and will not admit to being just a dumbass.

Don't worry. Your English is not really that bad, but just keep trying, drop the pretentious act and try to have some actual point when you post.

...which really has nothing to do with those long-time residents that are rather thicko when stumbling over their Thai.

Well, don't feel bad about that either. You have plenty of company. :)

Also that if ever I thought I was in with a chance to become a real Thai citizen, I would then have much more enthusiasm and interest in learning the language because I would feel more like a part of this society rather than the present situation where I could be thrown out on 7 days notice. For many years with me the incentives to turn native have not been there for these reasons.

You could become a citizen, people here have even posted about it. You'd have to learn Thai first though.

I'd been here just under 2 years and thought I was getting the hang of the language. Went to a local shop for the first time and the girl behind the counter asked the usual " Do you speak Thai? "

Wishing to show her and the rest of the customers that I hadn't just got off the boat I replied " Yes "

She then proceeded to rattle off a question of which I understood not one single word.

Not wishing to appear a complete bullshitting <deleted> I answered " Chai "

Thankfully she seemed content with the answer without a horrified or confused look on her face because she could have been asking " Do you eat doi dog shit and suck winos off for fun? " for all I knew.

Edited by mca

Some of us just aren't that gifted. :jap:

I like ' cdnvic ' post, kids are the only ones I can speak to as long as they are not more than three.:)

I have come to the conclusion I am ' tone deaf ' an it ain't my fault, nuffin to do wid me, can't even speak English proper like.:huh:

I know satire is derived from Latin, I can speak some Latin but not many understand that either. :whistling:

I suggest he contemplate suicide; there are many ways to do it; each with it's own merits and drawbacks.

He's half way there being farang and lives in a high-rise. Hope those purple curtains came with matching cords so he can tie his hands behind his back before jumping. :whistling:

That, and the Thai end of things trying a bit harder as well. I've tried to learn Thai for years, but regardless of how I pronounce something I just get a blank stare until suddenly they light up and repeat exactly the same as I've been saying for 15 minutes already.

You could become a citizen, people here have even posted about it. You'd have to learn Thai first though.

Yeah in the same way you could win 50M in the lottery. Possible, but not likely.

Edited by WyattEarp

I've tried to learn Thai for years, but regardless of how I pronounce something I just get a blank stare until suddenly they light up and repeat exactly the same as I've been saying for 15 minutes already.

lol, it is annoying, isn't it?

:annoyed:

I suggest he contemplate suicide; there are many ways to do it; each with it's own merits and drawbacks.

He's half way there being farang and lives in a high-rise. Hope those purple curtains came with matching cords so he can tie his hands behind his back before jumping. :whistling:

You do realise its a made up name and article??, anyway here is another story from the same scource. :ph34r:

Here

You do realise its a made up name and article??, anyway here is another story from the same scource. :ph34r:

Here

Nah, can't be made-up, I know Trevor personally. I've met him in several places around LOS. ;)