Insurance On A Rented Condo

This questions comes from a active discussion here called "fire in a rented house". Link below for future reference.

Not talking so much about this chaps problems, he was very lucky for his life but unlucky for it to happen, I would like idea's about covering this situation in the future. Are you required in Thailand to insure the building you are renting. I have personally never meet a Thai that has their bike or car insured, I doubt the house would be as well unless the bank insist on it as most would be financed.

I remember about 3 years ago, a young western couple, rented a place in Phuket I think it was by memory. That house, the neighbors and some other buildings were gutted. It was accepted it was no fault of the western couple at the time. On their next trip to Thailand, they found them selves put into the monkey house, picked up on arrival with charges against them to build a new home for the land lord who had no insurance.

The last rental I did, I made a note that I was not responsible for insurance of the condo or it's contense own by the owner and I am responsible for my goods. The owner, a Japanese fellow had actually forgotten about insurance as it turns out, and 3 weeks later proudly gave me a copy of his new insurance cover letter. (Best landlord I have ever had actually).

What are other ways to cover your butt in Thailand on this subject?

I have heard other similar horror stories, it clearly is not black and white like in most western countries.

Link to 'Fire in a rented house" TV forum chat below.

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry4419728

Edited by haveaniceday

The bottom line is if you rent a property in Thailand then you are liable for any damage that happens e.g. rain comes through the roof and destroys the furniture, a fire etc etc. This is more so in a condo where you are liable for damage to (say) the unit below if your pipe has a leak,

Insurance for property is not expensive but to go without may be extremely expensive !

For all you insurance needs use Thai Visa Brokers and ask for an on-line quote HERE

The bottom line is if you rent a property in Thailand then you are liable for any damage that happens e.g. rain comes through the roof and destroys the furniture, a fire etc etc. This is more so in a condo where you are liable for damage to (say) the unit below if your pipe has a leak,

Insurance for property is not expensive but to go without may be extremely expensive !

For all you insurance needs use Thai Visa Brokers and ask for an on-line quote HERE

so a tenant can insure the building he rents ? i was always under the impresion this could not be done as it belongs to someone else.

so a tenant can insure the building he rents ? i was always under the impresion this could not be done as it belongs to someone else.

A tenant is only liable when damages arise from his negligence, through an act or absence of an act of the tenant. Eg. failure to close a window and rain water damages the floor and furnishing. Left a kettle on the stove and resulting in a fire...etc.

A tenant should not be liable when damages are not his doing. Eg. pipe burst or short circuit of internal wiring.

A wise tenant should insist on renting only premises that owners have covered by insurance, and to understand the excess amount should mishaps occur.

A tenant is only liable when damages arise from his negligence, through an act or absence of an act of the tenant. Eg. failure to close a window and rain water damages the floor and furnishing. Left a kettle on the stove and resulting in a fire...etc.

A tenant should not be liable when damages are not his doing. Eg. pipe burst or short circuit of internal wiring.

A wise tenant should insist on renting only premises that owners have covered by insurance, and to understand the excess amount should mishaps occur.

And by what great authority are we getting this information from?

My gut feeling is that this is one of those "Amazing Thailand" subjects, that particularly as a farlang, you can easily be screwed.

So it's easily on the cards, that a house is built by very substandard methods, a wall and roof falls in, or very easily dodgy wiring that seems to be the normal standard here, and the tenet has to build a new home !!!, what a crock of buffalo feaces if this is the case. If you make a comment that the builder built a substandard building, then her can have you arrested for slander, and win while he extorts an outrageous amount out of you.

So, I wonder how many renters in Thailand know they also have to pay the insurance for fire or shoddy construction ? whistling.gif

And by what great authority are we getting this information from?

The Civil and Commercial Code sections 1012 to 1273 (Book II, Title V)

Yes he can - and probably the most sensible way to go - understand what trogers is trying to say but in practice forget it, we are in Thailand