Ultra High Speed Internet Coming To Pattaya

Rimmer

Ultra High Speed Internet coming to Pattaya

PATTAYA: -- The True Corporation is set to bring ultra high speed internet to 70,000 households and businesses here in Pattaya by September this year. On Thursday at Pattaya City Hall a Memorandum of Understanding was signed between Pattaya City Hall, represented by Pattaya Mayor Khun Itipon and Khun Vichaow, the President of True Group Subsidiary,rue Universal Convergence Co Ltd who are set to spend 350 Million Baht to ensure their new Ultra High Speed 100mb Internet Service will be ready for launch later this year.

Full story HERE

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2011-05-13

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Hutch now True are offering a 7.2 MBS package from the 15th of this month, using their 'dongle' I am going to upgrade to this package at 590 Baht a month and will post the results.

Don't hold your hopes up!

It will likely be better then what the Hutch EV-DO dongle gives you, but not by much, and definitely nowhere near 7.2 Mbps. Your Hutch dongle (if it is EV-DO) should give 3.1 Mbps, and I also doubt you'll get close :)

1295098653.png

The above is what I get currently on True with their new dongle, and this is pretty good. During peak times it can go down a fair bit, last night on a 15 MB download it averaged 400 kbps...

Hutch now True are offering a 7.2 MBS package from the 15th of this month, using their 'dongle' I am going to upgrade to this package at 590 Baht a month and will post the results.

Don't hold your hopes up!

It will likely be better then what the Hutch EV-DO dongle gives you, but not by much, and definitely nowhere near 7.2 Mbps. Your Hutch dongle (if it is EV-DO) should give 3.1 Mbps, and I also doubt you'll get close :)

1295098653.png

The above is what I get currently on True with their new dongle, and this is pretty good. During peak times it can go down a fair bit, last night on a 15 MB download it averaged 400 kbps...

I think that you are correct Monty but we live in hope. Here are my Hutch dongle results, should get 3.1 as you say.

1295123313.png

The article doesn't exactly say so, but I'm assuming what they're talking about for Pattaya is True's relatively new cable internet service, which is already being offered in selected areas of BKK and elsewhere. Several different "rated speed" plans ranging from 10 Mbps to 100 Mbps. I have the 10 Mbps plan priced at 699b per month, which is a couple hundred less than I had been paying for 8 Mbps DSL service from True prior.

Here's the correct web site for info about this True service:

http://www.trueonline.com/en/ultrahispeed.aspx

The bottom line is... you don't have to subscribe to TrueVisions TV in order to subscribe to True's cable internet. But at least in BKK, you do have to have TrueVisions cable available (wired) to your home in order for them to use the same wiring to deliver their internet service.

In the couple months I've had it, I've been very satisfied... Faster and less expensive than its DSL predecessor. More stable connection speeds as well. Had a simple installation done, cable modem provided for free, at no cost other than the basic monthly service fee. Kept my DSL for an extra month just in case, then ditched it after the cable internet proved to be very good value and service.

I live in pattaya and have True dsl internet and here are my results. Think I pay like 890thb a month for this. Of course slower packages are available for 590 a month. I live on the East side (FWIW)

1297182322.png

AFAIK the cable service is not avail in my area yet. Once it becomes avail (some saying the 15th of May??) I will be sure to sign up for it. Cable is usually more stable than DSL but also beware that cable BW is more shared between those in your neighborhood. So, it might start out great but the more folks that join in your area the slower it will become. We'll see.

Edited by Jayman

So far, everyone posting a speed test has shown results to a server in Bangkok -- Since 99% of what most Expats do on the Internet is outside Thailand, how about posting some speed tests to servers in places like Los Angeles, London, New York, etc.?

Thanks JFC -- I was referring more to tests run from Pattaya -- seems to be a whole different Internet world down here compared to the big city . . .:)

I can't recall ever seeing anyone here getting anywhere near the 10 Mbps that you report, but it would be nice. I know people here who switched from 4 Mbps to 10 Mbps Cable because the slower service didn't deliver -- even with 10 Mbps, they're lucky to get half of that to servers outside Thailand.

SR, I've seen few if any posts anywhere on TV from Pattaya residents with True cable internet, though I gather it's been available there, in at least some areas, for quite some time...

Until the past few months, True had their cable internet service as almost invisible, with no reference on their web site and no marketing that I ever saw.... Now they have a full-fledged web site.... but their customer service in the True shops re cable internet is terrible...

Most of the time here in BKK, the store staff spend their time telling people that they're homes aren't in served areas for cable internet, when in fact, often times they are in served areas. That's exactly what happened in my case originally.

As for the speeds, no one on a 10 Mbps cable plan should expect to get a regular, single stream 10 Mbps international connection. The international, single stream speeds I've seen typically range from 2 or 3 Mbps on the low end to 6 or 7 Mbps on the high end, depending on the location and time of day, etc etc..

However, those kinds of speeds are a marked improvement over the typical 1.5 to 2 Mbps single stream international connections I had previously been getting via True's 8 Mbps DSL service...

Of course, how True has and/or will implement the cable internet service in Pattaya compared to BKK, I don't know.

I had 6 years with CAT DSL, advertised at 2 Mbps. Quite expensive and averaged around 1.2 to 1.7

In Pattaya, the local cable company, Sophon, recently started offering Fiber Optic Cable. I switched to their 4 Mbps service - they still use CAT as an ISP, but the Fiber comes direct from the CAT Internet Gateway in BKK, avoiding all the infrastructure that CAT has between here and BKK. It's about 1/3 the cost of CAT DSL and speed is adequate, but not setting any world records. The biggest advantage is that it avoids all the local deteriorating DSL infrastructure, which frequently had problems.