Don'T Speak Pidgin Thai To My Kids

saraburioz

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

:lol:

Well its no worse than addressing a kid in pidgeon English. Off topic here but I once received a toy gun from an uncle for Xmas. Yeah came in handy that did when I left for Uni the following Autumn....poor old folks just can't help themselves I reckon....or they just do it for laughs.

When they do this do they know your kids speak English or do they assume they speak only Thai?

Not all know but even the ones I tell, still do it. One of my best friends who is an English teacher still does it from time to time.

If I meet half-caste kids, i always start off speaking english with them.

When they do this do they know your kids speak English or do they assume they speak only Thai?

Not all know but even the ones I tell, still do it. One of my best friends who is an English teacher still does it from time to time.

" get really pissed of with Western guys(who usually can't speak thai well) meeting my kids and speaking simple Thai to them."

you gave the answer yourself. They dont speak Thai well, so they're speaking simple Thai to them.

" get really pissed of with Western guys(who usually can't speak thai well) meeting my kids and speaking simple Thai to them."

you gave the answer yourself. They dont speak Thai well, so they're speaking simple Thai to them.

:D

What pisses me off, is people using "half-caste" as a way of describing mixed race children. :whistling: They sound like a plonker. :ph34r:

Edited by mrtoad

What pisses me off, is people using "half-caste" as a way of describing mixed race children. :whistling: They sound like a plonker. :ph34r:

Yes what an extraordinary term to use from someone complaining about how people speak to their kids!

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! Ugh!

Friends of ours with mixed race childern tend to have the same unwritten rule. Non Thais speak English to the kids regardless of their Thai language abilities, Thais speak Thai to them regardless of their English language abilities.

Over the years it seems to have worked very well.

I think this was more a post for the OP to suggest that his language skills are better than his mate's more than anything else though...

Yes what an extraordinary term to use from someone complaining about how people speak to their kids!

Indeed. Caste means 'pure'. So which half does the OP consider the pure half?

At what level of Thai is someone allowed to talk to your kids? Fluent as a native, half fluent, quarter fluent? Bizarre to get upset when someone is trying to make an effort to speak Thai.

I think it best if people just ignore you and your pesky half cast kids altogether.

Problem solved!

+1. You have my permission to communicate with my daughter any way that makes you feel comfortable and I hope she does not grow up to be judgemental about the way you do it. :rolleyes:

Edited by SantiSuk

At what level of Thai is someone allowed to talk to your kids? Fluent as a native, half fluent, quarter fluent? Bizarre to get upset when someone is trying to make an effort to speak Thai.

Is there anything wrong with the term, half-caste. I'm sorry if you don't like it.

:) I'll let the OP do the research on "half-caste" on his own ...

OP --- don't worry about me speaking pidgin English of Thai with your kids ... I won't be speaking to them at all :)

Is there anything wrong with the term, half-caste. I'm sorry if you don't like it.

Half-caste is a very derogatory and quite racist term.

No it doesn't.

Half-caste is a very derogatory and quite racist term.

Just like 'farang' - do you use that?

OP --- don't worry about me speaking pidgin English of Thai with your kids ... I won't be speaking to them at all :)

Fine with me. What is "pidgin English of Thai"?

Just like 'farang' - do you use that?

No, it's nothing like the term farang

You know what, you really could save yourself a whole lot of hassle by just putting the term into a search engine and reading what comes up. I suggest you do before you go any further.

Edited by Moonrakers

Why do you assume all half-caste kids speak English?

If their mother or father is a European Expat, it's a fair assumption.

Assumptions, over-generalizations - pretty much standard fare for a plonker. :)

People who will not recognise that Thai is the language to be spoken in Thailand if possible and then call people who do plonkers should take their kids to wherever they came from.

Edited by harrry

Fine with me. What is "pidgin English of Thai"?

pardon my typo --- "or" (with the implication of it being pidgin Thai )

You are in a tough row to how, sara .... :)

Pepel who will not recognise that Thai is the langiage to be spoken in Thailoand if possible asnd then call people who do plonkers should take their kids to wherever they came from.

Still on the sauce harry?

lol - worse than me

Friends of ours with mixed race childern tend to have the same unwritten rule. Non Thais speak English to the kids regardless of their Thai language abilities, Thais speak Thai to them regardless of their English language abilities.

Over the years it seems to have worked very well.

I think this was more a post for the OP to suggest that his language skills are better than his mate's more than anything else though...

Your last sentence 100%...

jb1