Oppo Blu-Ray Player Bdp83 Firmware Updates

delta7

Hi,

I have an Oppo BDP-83 blu-ray player bought here in Thailand. I am trying to check if there is an updated firmware available for it because I've had a few issues of the picture stopping for a while and then coming back while trying to watch disks and MKV files. The Main version of the firmware is currently: BDP83T-09-0424.

I don't normally have the player connected to a network because the router is is a different room and I haven't gotten around to buying an Access Point. When I try to access the Thai Oppo Webite detailed in the manual ( Oppo-bluray.com) the site is down and just shows the text "This account has been suspended. Either the domain has been overused, or the reseller ran out of resources.". If I take the player to the room where I have my router and connect it to the network, network access to BDLive is working and the Network connection Test is successful but attempts to download the firmware results in the message "Can not connect to the server".

The main US website ( Oppodigital.com ) is still providing updates for the player, which the last being in March 2011 but that firmware can't be loaded on a Thai player that has the BDP83T-09-0424 firmware.

Does anyone know if Oppo Thailand has a new website for their Blu-ray / DVD players or anywhere I can look for a later version of the firmware?

Thanks

Karl

I had the bdp83 SE anh had no problem updating to the latest firmware from www.oppodigital.com It didn't work via the network connection, but download the latest FW and follow the procedure updating from a memory stick. Else you should request the update from the vendor where you bought the unit. As a last resort contact www.oppodigital.com and request the update. They are very quick to respond.

I have the BDP 93 and I have no problems updating the firware. I use the wi-fi dongle as supplied with the BDP 93. Maybe it would be a good idea to just unplug the unit and move it to your Internet access point conect it there and update!.

Good luck

IW

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Sorry I forgot to update the forum with what happened.

The firmware available at www.oppodigital.com is for the US players and is not comptible with the Thai version; i.e. players that have the Thai firmware that includes the letter T e.g. BDP83T-09-0424.

When attemping to upgrade using the US firmware, it appears that the update is successful BUT when checking the firmware version, the old (pre-upgrade) versions are still present.

I tried contacting www.oppodigital.com but they were unhelpful.

You will need to to contact the reseller from whom you bought the player from. They will be able to give you a newer firmware which is designed for the Thai (T) players.

OPPO Digital, Inc only supports the North American player, so we do not have access to this firmware.

Best Regards,

Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc.

2629B Terminal Blvd.

Mountain View, CA 94043

Service(AT)oppodigital.com

Tel: 650-961-1118

Fax: 650-961-1119

Opp-bluray.com

I did eventually take the player to the room where my pc and router are situated. I then re-tried the firmware upgrade but it failed with a 'Cannot connect to server' error. Note that blu-ray online content worked so the problem was not being able to connect to oppo.

Since I bought the player at Paragon, I didn't have much faith in getting any support there so I looked around the 'net.

In the end I found thewww.htg2.net forum in google and sent an email to the admin of the forum to request a message to be posted (English and Thai translation via google) since registration seemed to require a Thai id.

It seemed that quite a few people were experiencing the same problems I had, i.e. the Thai oppo website is always down (I just checked and it is STILL down - Oppo-bluray.com/) meaning that it is impossible to get the firmware updates.

Someone posted the latest firmware which seems to have come from Soken (Thailand).

htg2 forum posts

ianwrd4 - I see that you mention the BDP-93 and I am interested in getting either a BDP-93 or BDP-95 in the future, I wonder if you bought your's in Thailand and if it has Thai firmware because I am concerned with the lack of support from Oppo if I buy in Thailand again. The Thai website always seems to be down so no firmware updates are available.

Thanks