Junk Shop/2Nd Hand Bangkok

simongajewski

There is a place above One Shop, opposite Ramkhamhaeng 2. Prawet District, near Bang-Na. Run by a Chinese guy. can be interesting to take a look round sometimes, if you are in the area. I bought a Xmas tree from him last year 300bt similar in Big C 1000+

jb1

Overly negative, unhelpful, and inflammatory post removed and response to that post.

If you don't have anything to contribute sometimes its best not to post

I was looking for similar stuff up in Ubon - old LP's in particular - any info for a fellow womble ?

Hard to find. cassette tape was the favourite media type in the past. Old vinyl is really are rare item and you are not the first collector searching for it. So there are not really established stores for it, but maybe a lucky find in some kind of garage sale or any other kind of second hand sales.

Consider also the population size and how many people could afford a record player back these days.

Keep your eyes open, my dream is to spot an old dusty music box loaded with 7inches and top hits of the 50's/60's in the backside of some roadside restaurant and the owner more than happy that someone offers to take that finally away.

"Fortune Tower... pawn your stuffs..." ironic.

How is that ironic?

Isn't it? Is it fortunate?

Ironic is when the actual outcome is the complete opposite of the expected outcome.

Did you expect to come into a fortune by going to "Fortune Tower?" :blink:

The best, actually , the only place for real 2nd hand goods is called The Thieves Market. It is many years since I have been there, but is pretty famous, I hope I am not wrong , but I think it is in a Soi off Luang Road, Near The Central Hospital.It operates in the evening and has Or had an amazing variety of stuff.

I was looking for similar stuff up in Ubon - old LP's in particular - any info for a fellow womble ?

Hard to find. cassette tape was the favourite media type in the past. Old vinyl is really are rare item and you are not the first collector searching for it. So there are not really established stores for it, but maybe a lucky find in some kind of garage sale or any other kind of second hand sales.

Consider also the population size and how many people could afford a record player back these days.

Keep your eyes open, my dream is to spot an old dusty music box loaded with 7inches and top hits of the 50's/60's in the backside of some roadside restaurant and the owner more than happy that someone offers to take that finally away.

:thumbsup: That's the one . I hope there is enough to go around . I will be working in HK later this year and there are some good stalls at Sham Shui Po market . I would like to find some Thai music - country or whatever really . There was a thread about old juke boxes , I remember one I used to chuck money into in Samsen soi 2 in Banglampu ,it was just a hole in the wall across from the restaurant where the guy used to wistle at passers buy to come eat . I don't know what medim the songs were on . I would be interested in one that could play 45's .

Luke

walk around klong tom (chinatown) on sundays, the entire area many square blocks have things laid out. Don't expect to find a goldmine though, everyone knows the value of things already.

I found as close to your dream as you'd ever get; not in Bangkok but in Seoul. I had a full day layover there and took a free city tour from the Airport that dropped me of at the Downtown shopping/restaurant area called MYEONG DONG. A sudden rainstorm hit and I sought shelter in what was labeled as an underground shopping center but what looked more like a subway entrance. I wasn't expecting much but as I wandered around it's corridors, I was astounded at what I saw: more than a dozen camera shops selling old Leicas, Hassleblads, Canon's, Nikons ect, ect.

Even more amazing; eight or nine dealers selling the most incredible array of old vinyl record albums I have ever seen, and that includes New York City and London.

One had an inventory of at least eight or nine thousand European classical recordings. Another specialized in Jazz with many covers I hadn't seen in 30 years. The one covering R&B and R&R had the original first "COASTERS" release, along with many beautiful old Atlantic, Decca and Verve recordings. If you're an old vinyl nut, you'ld have needed an oxygen tank!

I wasn't in any position to buy so I didn't ask prices but if you ever do get a chance to stop off in Seoul, do make a stop at Myeong Dong Underground shopping center; just be sure to bring money and heart medication.