Things To Bring To Koh Samui/Thailand

Based upon what time I have spent in Thailand, I agree with the many posters who think bringing good, cookware to Thailand is worth the effort. If you enjoy cooking you really need to have the proper pots and pans. Bringing torches (flashlights) is probably a reall idea as well.

Since my wife also has a Thai ID, I guess we'll ship over a couple thousand pounds of stuff. My MIL really needs various medical hardware (walkers, etc), so I'll make sure and bring them over.

Again thanks for all the ideas.

Rick

could u bring me a copy of the dvd sexy beast the gangster film so my misses can understand me when i take the piss of the artist formerly known as ghandi. No No no no no no no no.....yes yes yes yes !!! B)

i amm sorry but u r just going to have to turn this opitunity ..yes

No offense intended, but I have absolutely NO IDEA what your post means.

CLASSIC :lol:

could u bring me a copy of the dvd sexy beast the gangster film so my misses can understand me when i take the piss of the artist formerly known as ghandi. No No no no no no no no.....yes yes yes yes !!! B)

Is it a contender for the top 3 though......farking not Dr Zhivago <deleted>...:lol:

Thai Rick..... After reading the beginning of your original post again, you say you are thinking of coming only for a year and a half... I'd really wonder if all the effort and cost is worth it for a relatively "short time" .... ???? Then ship the stuff back?

Except for a few things, plus the items people have ordered,;).... you might be better leaving most of your stuff in storage in your home country... then should you decide to stay longer then ship it ..... ???

That would also give to time to find a "perfect house"... Some of the "higher end houses" have some pretty decent furniture in them already.... many hardly lived in... if at all... I can think of several around me... they get looked after by maintenance contractors...

Just a thought!

Bring an ATM machine u will have many friends.

Also bring some young female midgets in liear tards for wrestling comptitions. That is something I would like to see

Thanks

:cheesy:

Its OK RickThai - nor do those of us who live here

All of the things you want to ship here you can buy on the island or on your way down from Bangkok.

I would think that the idea would be to bring things that are particularly hard to get here.

The only things that really you need to think about are expensive items (cameras for example) that would be taxed and subject to duties if you had them send over. Then again, if you ship the, they might be subject anyway, I am not sure.

I think the big question is, particularly for those who have been here for a long time, why Samui?

All of the things you want to ship here you can buy on the island or on your way down from Bangkok.

I would think that the idea would be to bring things that are particularly hard to get here.

The only things that really you need to think about are expensive items (cameras for example) that would be taxed and subject to duties if you had them send over. Then again, if you ship the, they might be subject anyway, I am not sure.

I think the big question is, particularly for those who have been here for a long time, why Samui?

True, you could buy most of what I intend to bring, but as other Posters have pointed out, the quality of many of the local items (excluding BGs of course), is not all that great.

I've spent enough time in Thailand to know that the mattresses are horrible, The pots and pans (and knives as was pointed out), are cheap aluminum (I think on a bad day, you could bite right through some of them). That was the reason for this post.

Also, some items like Generators, lawnmowers, etc, are either poorly made, or ridiculously expensive, from what I've seen.

Also, if it turns out that Thailand loses its charm (remember I am married), it would be nice to leave some of these things with my wife's family members. I've know them for over 35 years and they are basically good, honest people.

RickThai

Well on my second cup of coffee... so hope not to screw up again! :D

Quality does vary, say with a lawn mower, or weed whacker, generators etc..... I happened to notice yesterday, that Honda Generators seem to start at 23,000 baht at Home Mart Maenam... larger ones are more... obviously....

But power outages on Samui can depend on area you live.... my power over the last 6 months hardly down at all, during the rainy season (s) We've had two this last six months!

Brand names like Honda are generally good.... but it depends on the quality / price point you buy.... But the "higher end" models you do find in the "west" are not as easily available, but can usually be ordered... If something as a three month warranty, don't buy it!

Some items you might bring, you may have problems finding parts, although World wide Brand names should be easier... Shipping from BKK does not take too long usually, from my experience... The larger shops are good at doing that... usually within two or three days... if they have in stock at the warehouses....

You can buy better quality Knives and forks etc at two shops in Nanthon.. but I'd bring what you have, plus your good pots and pans!!!!:) !....

have u seeen the film prosoner. i shouldn't say this but once u come u can never leave.

we are all her because we know too much.

if u come here then this is your destiny

hope that helps

True, you could buy most of what I intend to bring, but as other Posters have pointed out, the quality of many of the local items (excluding BGs of course), is not all that great.

I've spent enough time in Thailand to know that the mattresses are horrible, The pots and pans (and knives as was pointed out), are cheap aluminum (I think on a bad day, you could bite right through some of them). That was the reason for this post.

Also, some items like Generators, lawnmowers, etc, are either poorly made, or ridiculously expensive, from what I've seen.

Also, if it turns out that Thailand loses its charm (remember I am married), it would be nice to leave some of these things with my wife's family members. I've know them for over 35 years and they are basically good, honest people.

RickThai

RickThai

electric stuff is so much more expensive here. more than back int the uk and i imagine the US. cause they are even cheaper there.

also why does thailand the only country that i have been to does not give u cover on warrentee on LCD screens.

Other countries do.

I can sort of understand why small shops do nnot do it but place ike apple who ae world wide firm. for example my mate sat oon his Ipad and broke the screen and thgey replaced it. if he done that here then they would not.

i wonder if they do replace it for free but what we get told is driferent story. bascaly the salesman ot woman pockets the money with not record of any transaction taking place.

if that is the case then from now on once they have fixed my phone i'll do a bankk transfer.

Austhorised apple dealers are world wide brand so i think something fishy is going on. i think i am going to contact Apple HQ and ask them.

one time i asked for an LCD screen to be fixed. they wanted 3/4 of the pice of what the phone was origonally