We See Wrong Being Done And We Simply Look Away; Thai Opinion

webfact

EDITORIAL

We see wrong being done and we simply look away

By The Nation

Thai society has itself to blame for political violence and corruption and nepotism in all walks of life

Why is it that the police only know of 112 professional killers when locals hanging out at just about every teashop or corner eatery in residential districts can identify the hitman in their neighbourhood.

It is often said that every fourth-grader knows where the brothels and gambling dens are located in their local community. Today, the illegal gambling dens are still there and the brothels have evolved into various types of shopfronts - cocktail lounges, music bars, coffee shops, karaoke bars, massage parlours, barber shops. And let's not forget the plain old street hookers soliciting foreign and local clients along the busiest stretches of Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok.

It is not certain how many brothels or gambling dens - some of which are owned or named after local godfathers, who are usually politically-connected - the police are aware of. But it was made clear a few days ago that the police are aware of just 112 professional assassins nationwide. Perhaps the police should solicit the advice of fourth-graders in their precincts - who have probably got a better idea of the true numbers and identities.

Still, at the least the police are not saying they are completely clueless. Among the 112 known killers are police sergeants Panya Srihera and Somchai Boonnak. The two are wanted for the assassination attempt on People's Alliance for Democracy leader Sondhi Limthongkul. They are, apparently, numbers 13 and 14 on the list.

Deputy national police chief General Panupong Singhara na Ayutthaya said a couple of days ago that the blacklist update was part of the "proactive measures" being taken against political violence ahead of the general election in July. Police also want to catch 126 other "rising stars", although it isn't clear if these 126 are future hitmen or people who haven't quite made it in the entertainment industry.

For operational purposes, the police always have some sort of blacklist hidden away in their offices. But they have gone public with the known hitman list after an attempt on the life of Pheu Thai politician Pracha Prasobdee. He is the first politician or canvasser to be shot as Thailand prepares for a tense election.

If we are to believe that the idea of naming alleged professional killers and "rising stars" is because our law enforcement officials want to put candidates in the upcoming general election on the spot, then we have to ask why they didn't do so a long time ago. After all, violence and murder is not a new phenomenon in Thai politics. Or are the police simply covering their hides to show the public that they are not sleeping on duty?

Police motives aside, the development reflects the sorry state of our nation's politics. The fact that a "naming-and-shaming" tactic has to be used in the poll run-up reflects how indifferent our society and politicians have become toward what constitutes what is appropriate or what is not.

Many people watch political candidates on television and openly admit that their stomachs churn at what they see and hear. Normally it's because the same corrupt people get elected over and over again. Sadly, national politics has become a business venture for these politicians and their families and cronies, and the very notion of public service and accountability is the furthest thing from their minds.

One can't help but feel sad for Thai society. We must ask the question: How has our social and political culture arrived at this state of being? It's easy for all of us to blame the police and mock some of the things they do and say. But essentially, it is us - the people in the tea and coffee shops and neighbourhood eateries - who have allowed things to evolve the way they have.

Violence ahead of a national election is not uncommon in Thailand, but the saddest fact is that we choose to treat it as something that is given. We tolerate these things until they become the norm. But this is not a healthy attitude, especially if we really want to strive for a stronger and more democratic society. But being indifferent to the world we live in seems to have become one of our national traits. We see the law being broken and injustice being carried out and we simply look the other way.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-17

that's REALLY one of the things i lurve about living here ; people mind their OWN business

Corruption, murder, rape, the list goes on ad infinitum.

Perhaps is someone witnessed your house being ransacked, your partner and children being brutally assaulted and that witness walked on by you would indeed feel so gratified that that person decided to ''mind their own business, and not summon help ? ''

Why is it that the police only know of 112 professional killers when locals hanging out at just about every teashop or corner eatery in residential districts can identify the hitman in their neighbourhood.

Cause most of those locals are full of it

Well written article, for once BUT I ask you all this - what do you do when you hear a car alarm go off? either here in LOS or in your home country? And what is it they teach women, certainly in Australia & the UK, to shout when they are being attacked?? rape? help? NO the most common taught cry is FIRE why???? so although in LOS, where science & magic is one and the same i wonder how much different it is 'back home' for many of us.

One of the biggest problems facing Thailand as a nation at the moment is the insurgency in the deep south which has claimed so many lives in the past 10 years. Neither the Democrats nor Peua Thai appear to much emphasis on the problem, other than going around in the same circles of blame and leaving the inept armed forces to do what they think might work.

The I.R.A. were an evil bunch of terrorists, but can anyone imagine the increased level of outrage had the I.R.A. deliberately targetted teachers or religious figures in years gone by to the level to which insurgents in Thailand seem to do so?

It seems that both those in government and the Thai populace at large don't really care enough about important issues.

One of the biggest problems facing Thailand as a nation at the moment is the insurgency in the deep south which has claimed so many lives in the past 10 years. Neither the Democrats nor Peua Thai appear to much emphasis on the problem, other than going around in the same circles of blame and leaving the inept armed forces to do what they think might work.

The I.R.A. were an evil bunch of terrorists, but can anyone imagine the increased level of outrage had the I.R.A. deliberately targetted teachers or religious figures in years gone by to the level to which insurgents in Thailand seem to do so?

It seems that both those in government and the Thai populace at large don't really care enough about important issues.

Hmmm they did target a few schools! and are threatening to do so again! but back to LOS - i agree the problems in the south are significant, BUT i believe the cultural indignation in this region will provide an almost impossible task to solve! again a direct parallel can be made with these people from NI

that's REALLY one of the things i lurve about living here ; people mind their OWN business

Mind their own business. I don't know where you live but all I hear is gossip and everything but minding their own business.

Mind their own business. I don't know where you live but all I hear is gossip and everything but minding their own business.

Well said; certainly in village life here people seem to spend most of their time talking about OTHER peoples business, normally concerning sexual gossip or other folks money.

Well said; certainly in village life here people seem to spend most of their time talking about OTHER peoples business, normally concerning sexual gossip or other folks money.

I assure you that it is not only village life. In Bangkok, walking down any soi and overhearing what people are talking about....

it is most definitely not minding their business. Thai society is one of the most nosy and gossipy that I have ever encountered.

My Thai friends even remark on their perceptions of these runaway qualities.

In truth, I consider this to be the chief DISADVANTAGE to learning Thai language.

It is the same here on T V forum nine days ago six people were murdered , there was a report on this forum and only 13 replies, today another two monks have been killed and that will get agout the same attention bot if a couple of girls go topless there would be hundreds of replies. The priorities people show is disturbing to say the least!

Corruption is not the sole territory of Thai Politicians or the Police. Sadly it is rife throughout the Country and at all levels and appears to be an accepted way of life. A few examples that I experienced further down the food chain:

Before Thaksin was deposed, I was discussing with my Brother-in-Law (Thai National) what I understood to be an incredibly high level of corruption and abuse by the Prime Minister and his Ministers and through their illegal practices, they were denying the Country Billions of Baht. His response was that that was okay, because it happened at all levels, but Khun T had been very good to the Farmers, of which he was one. This Gentleman is in his late 30s with an Engineering Degree, so an experienced and educated man. Clearly his view is "I'm alright Jack, sod the rest".

My Wife bought two houses for rent and persuaded a Friend to buy a third, which we would manage as she lived some distance away. All went well until one of our houses became empty, but the Friend's House was rented. She said we would take the rent because we were not getting any for our empty house. I was completely dumb founded and asked how she could swindle a so called Friend out of her just dues. She said if the shoe had been on the other foot, that is what her Friend would have done to her. Whilst I am no paragon of virtue, I explained that I could not abide that sort of ethic and persuaded my Wife to pay the money to her Friend.

Sister-in-Law has two Daughters, one highly intelligent, one average intelligence. The first Daughter was accepted by one of the foremost Schools in Thailand for Secondary Education having passed the entrance exam. The Second Daughter failed the Exam, but was accepted after payment of 200,000 baht tea money. The second Daughter was fully aware of this transaction.

I dearly love the Country and the majority of the people, but I do at times struggle with the ethics, but put the blame to a large extent on the Country and the people still developing in many ways, socially, academically, financially and of course it would appear most Thais cherry pick the parts of the teachings of Buddha that they believe apply at the time.

When you see wrong being done, who you gonna call? The BIB? 5555555555.

Well that's the problem isn't it.. The police are behind most of Thailand's crime and calling them can unexpectedly create a chance of you being personally victimised... Vicious circle.

And those that say it's the same in the west? seriously, is it? Wake up.. Try and bribe a UK bobby while slobbering out of your car drunk.. And how many police are selling drugs, DVD/software piracy racketeering, running brothels, clubs and gambling dens? How many assassins are running around at election times in Europe, Aus or US?

Sure we have corruption in some aspects of law and order but don't ever compare it with Thailand's total joke of a legal system.

When you see wrong being done, who you gonna call? The BIB? 5555555555.

Well that's the problem isn't it.. The police are behind most of Thailand's crime and calling them can unexpectedly create a chance of you being personally victimised... Vicious circle.

And those that say it's the same in the west? seriously, is it? Wake up.. Try and bribe a UK bobby while slobbering out of your car drunk.. And how many police are selling drugs, DVD/software piracy racketeering, running brothels, clubs and gambling dens? How many assassins are running around at election times in Europe, Aus or US?

Sure we have corruption in some aspects of law and order but don't ever compare it with Thailand's total joke of a legal system.

Agree 100%. Easy answer for people is to say 'It's the same everywhere', but it's not. I believe this is one of the top five countries in the world for corruption and it's hard to see how it's going to change when the kids are brought up on a diet of dishonesty from their parents and being told that they can never be 'blamed' for anything they do wrong.

Corruption is not the sole territory of Thai Politicians or the Police. Sadly it is rife throughout the Country and at all levels and appears to be an accepted way of life. A few examples that I experienced further down the food chain:

Before Thaksin was deposed, I was discussing with my Brother-in-Law (Thai National) what I understood to be an incredibly high level of corruption and abuse by the Prime Minister and his Ministers and through their illegal practices, they were denying the Country Billions of Baht. His response was that that was okay, because it happened at all levels, but Khun T had been very good to the Farmers, of which he was one. This Gentleman is in his late 30s with an Engineering Degree, so an experienced and educated man. Clearly his view is "I'm alright Jack, sod the rest".

My Wife bought two houses for rent and persuaded a Friend to buy a third, which we would manage as she lived some distance away. All went well until one of our houses became empty, but the Friend's House was rented. She said we would take the rent because we were not getting any for our empty house. I was completely dumb founded and asked how she could swindle a so called Friend out of her just dues. She said if the shoe had been on the other foot, that is what her Friend would have done to her. Whilst I am no paragon of virtue, I explained that I could not abide that sort of ethic and persuaded my Wife to pay the money to her Friend.

Sister-in-Law has two Daughters, one highly intelligent, one average intelligence. The first Daughter was accepted by one of the foremost Schools in Thailand for Secondary Education having passed the entrance exam. The Second Daughter failed the Exam, but was accepted after payment of 200,000 baht tea money. The second Daughter was fully aware of this transaction.

I dearly love the Country and the majority of the people, but I do at times struggle with the ethics, but put the blame to a large extent on the Country and the people still developing in many ways, socially, academically, financially and of course it would appear most Thais cherry pick the parts of the teachings of Buddha that they believe apply at the time.

Conventional wisdom would suggest that the rent money never made it to your wife's friend despite what you may choose to believe. Imagine having somebody that close to you with a key to the cookie jar and knowing that she thought it perfectly normal to steal from a friend. Must be some sleepless nights, although not for her or her friend. As for the 2nd daughter; daughter 1 will typically do her assignments. That and tea money installments should guarantee that daughter 2 gets her diploma and that is what it's all about, getting the cert not the education. This is why you hear about so many Thais with advanced degrees but when you examine the graduating classes in the sciences at major western universities you never see Thais. You see a lot of Vietnamese but no Thais.

It is the same here on T V forum nine days ago six people were murdered , there was a report on this forum and only 13 replies, today another two monks have been killed and that will get agout the same attention bot if a couple of girls go topless there would be hundreds of replies. The priorities people show is disturbing to say the least!

Well said. I've posted today in response to an article I'd read in a UK newspaper regarding the depletion and endangerment of local flora/fauna. I'd posted the link to this article the day before on a thread regarding (successive) governments' lack of concern for this country's environment, and buried after just one day on page 4 or 5.

However, anything with the word 'sex' in it receives hundreds of views. So it must be that the majority of expats here did not leave their prurience at home then.

Well said. I've posted today in response to an article I'd read in a UK newspaper regarding the depletion and endangerment of local flora/fauna. I'd posted the link to this article the day before on a thread regarding (successive) governments' lack of concern for this country's environment, and buried after just one day on page 4 or 5.

However, anything with the word 'sex' in it receives hundreds of views. So it must be that the majority of expats here did not leave their prurience at home then.

Back in the West there are newspapers with really 'intelligent' contents, like the one with the page-3 lady. Lots of forums with equally interesting subjects. Not better, not worse than topics we find in this forum. Just for the fun of it Google or Yahoo for DSK IMF NewYork ;)