Penang Hotel

sodown

Hello guys,

I know this may sound way off topic but I'm planning my trip to Penang soon and I will may have to stay there for 3 nights and 4 days and I wonder if you folks have any idea which hotel I can stay? I'm obviously looking for a budget/cheap hotel. The hotel doesn't have to be fancy or anything. I'm looking for anything that is around 30usd or less a night. Do you think the price is doable? Please let me know soon and thank you in advance for your help.

-sd

I know this may sound way off topic but I'm planning my trip to Penang soon and I will may have to stay there for 3 nights and 4 days and I wonder if you folks have any idea which hotel I can stay?

Hotel Continental on Jalan Penang has been recommended here in previous posts. They have singles for RM 80 or so (~$21.50). I haven't stayed there yet myself but I did look at their rooms once and will be staying there in a couple weeks.

Moved this thread to the Travel forum. Also check out this thread: Penang - Things to Do

Try Hotel Continental - Superior rooms are 90 ringit (23.8 USD) per night, and when available, Standard rooms are 80 ringit per night. They were not available when I booked, so try to book early to take advantage of the lower rate.

Simple breakfast buffet included, central location in Georgetown (in the entertainment district, 10 minutes walk from Chulia street, 10 minutes from the seafront), helpful staff. There is also a swimming pool, but I am not much of a swimmer so did not check it out.

Rock-bottom prices are to be found at Chulia Street, for example the Swiss Hotel, though I would not recommend it unless you are really looking to save cash. However, the Indian visa agent on the *right hand side* of the entrance into the Swiss hotel is good at arranging Thai visas for a 10-20 ringit fee.

Rock-bottom prices are to be found at Chulia Street, for example the Swiss Hotel, though I would not recommend it unless you are really looking to save cash. However, the Indian visa agent on the *right hand side* of the entrance into the Swiss hotel is good at arranging Thai visas for a 10-20 ringit fee.

sodown for what it's worth (in case you didn't know), Chulia Street is sorta like Penang's little version of Khao San Road. Not my scene personally but obviously many travelers do enjoy that type of atmosphere.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello guys,

I know this may sound way off topic but I'm planning my trip to Penang soon and I will may have to stay there for 3 nights and 4 days and I wonder if you folks have any idea which hotel I can stay? I'm obviously looking for a budget/cheap hotel. The hotel doesn't have to be fancy or anything. I'm looking for anything that is around 30usd or less a night. Do you think the price is doable? Please let me know soon and thank you in advance for your help.

-sd

Both of these hotels should still be under $30. For me, Penang was a lot cheaper than Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. You can try HOTEL CONTINENTAL, 5 Penang Road, (old tel. # was 04-2636388.) Also, WALDORF HOTEL, 13 Leith Street (old tel. # was 604 2626140-3.) An old e-mail address for this hotel was [email protected]. You may be able to find a more current up to date tel. number and e-mail address using Google.

Good luck.

Just returned from a few days in Penang. Stayed at the Hotel Continental. It was fine. I opted for a superior room at 98 ringgit/night. I thought this was worth the extra 18 ringgit/night over their standard rooms but a standard would have sufficed. The standard rooms are all located in the old wing of the hotel, the superior rooms are in the new wing. The only drawback to the Hotel Continental in my opinion was the absence of non-smoking rooms which I would have preferred.

This is a great area of Georgetown to stay in. Stop number 7 of the free downtown shuttle bus is just out the front door of the Hotel Continental and to the left in front of the next group of hotels (look for the marking on the pavement rather than the usual red, circular shuttle bus sign). There are a number of hotels in this neighborhood, all in a similar price range. A couple years back, I surveyed rooms in most, if not all of them. it seemed to me that for the price, the Hotel Continental was the best of the lot.

Hotel Continental contact information:

telephone +60.4.263.6388

email [email protected]