Yingluck: Amnesty Involving Ex-PM Thaksin Not Priority

webfact

Sorry, I use English as a language, not a mathematical formula. If it fits your agenda, fine.

Do you still think "denying that the amnesty issue is not her priority" is correct and "denying that the amnesty issue is her priority" is incorrect (based on what the writer was trying to say)? You may be a failure at mathematics, but this is a matter of really basic English language usage and comprehension.

Edited by hyperdimension

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will first tackle problems related to peoples lively hood, she said? Ok so that will take up five minuets.

Then she can get on with the Important business?

jb1

You think that it will take 5 minutes to adress my peoples issues? Why don't all you ignorant farangs just leave my country if you do not like us???????

Im not even farang and I don't like you. .'you alone'.

OK, so back to the OP, anybody who thinks her #1 priority is anything other than getting her brother back is dreaming. Thaksin has made several statements that he wants to return home. Can't blame him, but the only way he will do it is if he doesn't have to go to jail. So, in comes Yingluck to his (hopeful) rescue.

denying that the amnesty issue is not her priority

She is denying that it is not her priority. Logically, this means that amnesty may be a priority to her.

In logical terms, maybe, but I'm not an IT geek who thinks in terms of off and on states. In reality and the English Language, when you deny that something is not your priority, it means exactly that, it is not a priority to you. It's not that hard, Buchholz had a similar difficulty with the English Language and used a similar argument, and he was wrong as well.

Pedantic semantics,

She could have said either: "Amnesty is not my priority" OR "I deny that amnesty is my priority"

Denying something is NOT your priority means that actually it IS a priority. IMHO! :blink:

Of course you are absolutely correct, as was I previously, but that somehow get's morphed, in phiphidon's world, to you, hyperdimension, and I being "wrong". :blink:

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter though, because the whole thread is nonsense as its predicated on the notion that amnesty for Thaksin isn't a priority, which is absurd.

There's no shortage of evidence going all the way back to Samak's days that show it has been a priority and that it still is.

It continues to the present day with news that Chalerm has already drafted an Executive Decree (2 months before the elections) for that amnesty and that it will be ready for Yingluck to sign off on just as soon as she she makes it to the premiership.

There's no other decree, on any other issue, that has similarly been prepared by the Party that I've read of.

Yingluck is just spinning nonsense in the OP... and not very well.

Edited by Buchholz

First Thaksin's brother in law runs for office now his sister.

Its not like Thaksin has anything to do with it or anything.

To believe that his amnesty is not his priority is a lie. Out of all the people in the country there just happens to be 2 family members that run for office.

Edited by KRS1

The model political speech, Indeed I am sure Thasksin and his acolytes have learnt this style of rhetoric and how to effectively deliver their orations by heart as have all politicians around the world.

Listen and enjoy, the truth is there. whistling.gif

Edited by siampolee

The model political speech, Indeed I am sure Thasksin and his acolytes have learnt this style of rhetoric and how to effectively deliver their orations by heart as have all politicians around the world.

Listen and enjoy, the truth is there. whistling.gif

It reminds me of the brilliant classic movie "Being There", (starring Peter Sellers), about a simple man ending up leading an entire country. Here's the IMDB page: Being There (1979)

related topic:

Yingluck: Amnesty Will Restore Peace In Thailand

Follow this link:

:blink: hypocrisy within its own thread.

In essence, "It's not a priority, but it will restore peace."

Any way it's spun, it comes out as gobbledygook.

Yingluck is off and running.... at the mouth.

Edited by Buchholz

related topic:

Yingluck: Amnesty Will Restore Peace In Thailand

Follow this link:

:blink: hypocrisy within its own thread.

In essence, "It's not a priority, but it will restore peace."

Any way it's spun, it comes out as gobbledygook.

Yingluck is off and running.... at the mouth.

My dear buchholz, you've got it all wrong!

Obviously it should be "Amnesty will restore peace, but it's not a priority"

I will first tackle problems related to peoples lively hood, she said? Ok so that will take up five minuets.

Then she can get on with the Important business?

jb1

You think that it will take 5 minutes to adress my peoples issues? Why don't all you ignorant farangs just leave my country if you do not like us???????

:rolleyes:

I think you are missing the point of the poster. Maybe lost in translation - not a statement bashing Thais, more about the shallowness of politicians.

First Thaksin's brother in law runs for office now his sister.

Its not like Thaksin has anything to do with it or anything.

To believe that his amnesty is not his priority is a lie. Out of all the people in the country there just happens to be 2 family members that run for office.

And for 40-something percent of Thai voters (or the vast majority thereof), amnesty being on the cards would not be a big surprise.

If only Knowledge Reigned Supreme Over Nearly Everyone....(hip-hop quote)

Edited by hanuman1

quote 'hyperdimension' timestamp='1305816281' post='4434950'

denying that the amnesty issue is not her priority

She is denying that it is not her priority. Logically, this means that amnesty may be a priority to her.

when you deny that something is not your priority, it means exactly that, it is not a priority to you.

You are absolutely incorrect.

Let x = "amnesty issue is her priority".

Consider the following statements:

1. "Admit that x is true" means x is true

2. "Admit that x is not true" means x is not true

3. "Deny that x is true" means x may not be true

4. "Deny that x is not true" means x may be true

The article uses the 4th statement (a double negative), which means the amnesty issue may be her priority, or is her priority to some degree.

It's like saying "I am not unsatisfied", which means I may be satisfied, or I am satisfied to some degree.

It's not that hard.

Anyway, we know what the writer was actually trying to say. He or she should have omitted the "not" and said "denying that the amnesty issue is her priority". The Nation needs better writers.

The important thing to note though is that she did not outright state something like "amnesty will not at all be sought". Using the word "priority" suggests that it is somewhere on the agenda.

Sorry, I use English as a language, not a mathematical formula. If it fits your agenda, fine.

It is a logic formula not strictly related to mathematics.

Language is the logical formulation of ideas into a communication system. His analysis is perfectly accurate, and usable in language semantics discussions.

Edited by animatic

It is a logic formula not strictly related to mathematics.

Language is the logical formulation of ideas into a communication system. His analysis is perfectly accurate, and usable in language semantics discussions.

Well, out in the real world, sans linguistic academics, I am quite happy with my viewpoint that Yingluck said what she said without any hidden meanings as proposed by Hyperdimension et al. Your (and others) logical analysis of a Thai persons conversation (was the english language even used?) leaves me cold.

Next time Suthep comes up with another "foot in mouth" statement, I'll look forward to you all leaping to his defence using your "logical formulation of ideas into a communication system" method.

Yingluck: Amnesty Involving Ex-PM Thaksin Not Priority. It is a MUST.

Actually it is standard Thaksin practice to deny exactly what is on his mind.

Yingluck is keeping to the clone programme and so far so good. Lying with a straight face is a family skill.

Yingluck: Amnesty Involving Ex-PM Thaksin Not Priority. It is a MUST.

Actually it is standard Thaksin practice to deny exactly what is on his mind.

Yingluck is keeping to the clone programme and so far so good. Lying with a straight face is a family skill.

I guess that's one area where political and business skills overlap well...

Yingluck puts Chalerm in charge of amnesty move

Abhisit Vejjajiva and Yingluck Shinawatra, the country's top candidates for prime minister in the July 3 election, yesterday gave voters two contrasting messages.

The incumbent premier said he would start working on his existing and new policies from day one, while Yingluck pledged that her party would grant an amnesty to convicted politicians to pave the way for national reconciliation.

Yingluck said the Pheu Thai Party, backed by fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra and the red shirts, would draft an amnesty bill under the stewardship of Party-list MP candidate Chalerm Yoobamrung.

A neutral committee would be set up to oversee the process to ensure that it was based on the rule of law and the principles of equality.

Pheu Thai Party-list No. 1 Yingluck yesterday expressed confidence the Party would win more than half of the 500 House seats and it would be ready to form the next coalition government with other parties.

Speaking in Chiang Mai, the Pheu Thai's stronghold, Yingluck said the Party would not discriminate against any Party and would select those who have ideologies and solutions that could solve national problems.

Prime Minister Abhisit, meanwhile, told supporters in Bangkok that the Democrats were more experienced than their rivals in running the country.

Over the past two years, the Party had implemented many policies, such as free education, allowances for senior people, subsidies for farmers, regulating motorcycle taxis, incentives for first-home buyers, and refinancing credit-card debts and high-interest private loans.

If voters choose the Democrats, the Party could continue and improve these policies from the very first day it takes office, but if the Pheu Thai Party wins the election, these policies might be scrapped.

If re-elected, the Party would also introduce four policies - increase the minimum wage by 25 per cent within two years, crack down on drugs, increase subsidies for farmers by 25 per cent, and increase education loans for an additional 250,000 students.

Yingluck also rejected criticism that having many red-shirt leaders on the Pheu Thai Party-list would adversely affect national reconciliation efforts, saying problems were inevitable but the Party was willing to work for the public so she hoped people would understand.

The red shirts gathered to welcome Yingluck at all places she dropped by to visit, chanting and asking her to bring Thaksin home. After paying her respect at Chiang Mai's Doi Suthep Temple, and a few other places, Yingluck took to the campaign stage at a sports stadium, where up to 5,000 people were expected to attend. She cancelled a visit to Lamphun and opted for Warorot market, where Thaksin believed the Party had strong support.

Yingluck said that of Chiang Mai's 10 constituencies, the Party felt it had a tough fight for two.

She urged local people to vote for Pheu Thai. Party Leader Yongyuth Wichaidit, Chalerm, and red-shirt leader Natthawut Saikua also took to the stage.

They said voters could help bring Thaksin home and ensure Yingluck became Thailand's first woman PM.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-22

With PTP not discriminating against any Party and selecting to work with those who have ideologies and solutions that could solve national problems, we have discussed the important parts of the PTP policies (amnesty for all deserving, bring Thaksin home, etc.).

Can we now start with the more mundane, simple things like economy, social improvements, entitlement of the poor, educational system and the like ?

Well actually Rubl Abhisit appears to be saying just that, what will define the vote I suspect is how receptive the people are to the packages he has delivered, and the perception in his ability to deliver on his future promises. I like the education push I suspect he will do more in that direction, after all the young vote is the vote of the future.

Speaking in Chiang Mai, the Pheu Thai's stronghold, Yingluck said the Party would not discriminate against any Party and would select those who have ideologies and solutions that could solve national problems.

I think she's said this to alleviate the fears that some people in power now would feel if Thaksin ever did make a comeback.

Possibly futile in today's political climate, but it's just traditional old-style Thai politics the type of which has been observed in the aftermath of many political upheavals over the years.

Edited by hanuman1

I think she's said this to alleviate the fears that some people in power now would feel if Thaksin ever did make a comeback.

Possibly futile in today's political climate, but it's just traditional old-style Thai politics the type of which has been observed in the aftermath of many political upheavals over the years.

Maybe this is the way forward to reconciliation, the Thai way.....othewise we just have a continuation of the blame game

I do not understand the need to 'alleviate the fears'. K. Thaksin had said repeatedly

2010-09-10

"Me? Plot revenge? No way, says Thaksin"

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/09/12/politics/Me-Plot-revenge-No-way-says-Thaksin-30137794.html

2011-05-16

""If Pheu Thai wins the elections, it will not seek any revenge," Thaksin said"

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/05/16/2218700/ousted-thai-leaders-sister-named.html

2011 May

"Thaksin said the party's supporters, backed by the red shirt movement, will have to forgive and forget. The Abhisit government and the administration which supports it should have no reason to fear.

"Pheu Thai Party, and in particular our red shirt supporters, have suffered the most [from the political unrest].

"If those who have suffered the most can accept things and let things be, and not think about retribution, then achieving resolution will be easier," Thaksin said.

"After the election, after Pheu Thai wins, it has to be clear that there will be no retribution taken.

"Those who have suffered, forgive and forget and look forward together to the future.""

http://www.cambodiatodayz.com/2011/05/thaksin-rejects-revenge-supporters-will.html

I do not understand the need to 'alleviate the fears'. K. Thaksin had said repeatedly

2010-09-10

"Me? Plot revenge? No way, says Thaksin"

http://www.nationmul...n-30137794.html

2011-05-16

""If Pheu Thai wins the elections, it will not seek any revenge," Thaksin said"

http://www.miamihera...ster-named.html

2011 May

"Thaksin said the party's supporters, backed by the red shirt movement, will have to forgive and forget. The Abhisit government and the administration which supports it should have no reason to fear.

"Pheu Thai Party, and in particular our red shirt supporters, have suffered the most [from the political unrest].

"If those who have suffered the most can accept things and let things be, and not think about retribution, then achieving resolution will be easier," Thaksin said.

"After the election, after Pheu Thai wins, it has to be clear that there will be no retribution taken.

"Those who have suffered, forgive and forget and look forward together to the future.""

http://www.cambodiat...rters-will.html

How can you tell when a politician is lying? Their lips are moving. :lol:

Asian dynasties in need of deeper gene pools

THAILAND'S Red Shirts have chosen fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's youngest sister, Yingluck, to lead them into the country's next election on July 3 -- the latest round of their slugfest with the royalist Yellow Shirts. Yingluck is a 43-year-old property developer. Previously, she was managing director of a mobile phone firm controlled by her brother. Her husband works for a different mobile phone company, which is owned by her sister. Thaksin calls Yingluck "my clone". Nice.

Asia is replete with such clones. After the colonial era, dictators installed themselves in much of the region, mostly with military backing. Since then, Asia has steadily democratised. But the process has got stuck. In so many countries, the lists of candidates at elections bear an uncanny resemblance to those at the last few polls. That's because, of course, the names are the same. They're family.

Trust, not just at the level of party powerbrokers but even among voters, doesn't seem to have extended beyond blood relationships. People are looking for reliable leadership form, but are only really convinced by family resemblance, even if - as in the case of Yingluck Shinawatra - the candidates have no experience at all of public or administrative life. In Cambodia the Prime Minister of 17 years, Hun Sen, earlier this year promoted his son, Hun Manet, to a major general, aged just 32. He's clearly on his way.

Continues:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/asian-dynasties-in-need-of-deeper-gene-pools/story-e6frg6so-1226060641510

The Australian - May 23, 2011