Nissan Dealer - Sharp Practice

In April I ordered a Nissan March from our local dealer for my wife's 60th birthday, to be delivered on June 2. We agreed to pay the list price (in cash) and paid a deposit with the order and all payments made and due were listed on our receipt. However, yesterday we had a call from the dealer to say that the delivery was delayed, until at least June 25 (due to the tsumani in Japan) and they required a further Bt5,000. I went along to the showroom and pointed out that we had a contractual agreement which I expected them to honour, although I accepted that some delay may be acceptable and that if they broke the agreement I would be looking for compensation.

We then went to the Honda dealer to see what they had - they are now taking orders for November/New year delivery! They told us that Toyota et al were in the same situation.

Anyone else having problems with Nissan taking orders which they cannot fulfill?

purchasing 9 new cars here, in my experience they all take orders they cant fulfill. a month delay should be expected.

increasing you deposit may ensure you get a car the 25th. more efficient is to give sales rep 5k cash on top of agreed payment to get a car in 14 days. even more efficient is to drop sales rep and speak with sales manager and offer the same 5 k

All Japanese brands have had their production effected by the Japanese Tsunami, as all are made from at least some imported parts.

The only brands that have not had their production effected are Ford and Chev - everyone else is looking at 2-8 month waiting queues.

I've bought quite a few vehicles in Thailand too, mostly from Isuzu but one from Honda and a few agricultural vehicles from the likes of Kubota and Thai companies. I have been happy with the good service and ethical behaviour which I have always received. Which is one reason why I am so disappointed with Nissan. I certainly wouldn't countenance paying a bribe to a sales person to receive a service which I am already paying for.

I certainly wouldn't countenance paying a bribe to a sales person to receive a service which I am already paying for.

It's not just Nissan - I have friends waiting on both Toyota's and Honda's that have had the sales rep visit them at home recently, offering priority in the queue in return for some palm grease. TiT.

OP made a big mistake paying so much up front.

Do not pay the "EXTRA Tea Money" requested. Many sales reps in thailand play games and sell cars out from under you or sell to multiple buyers without delivering the goods, then tell you to wait for a new model, problem with the factory, Taunami etc.

Buy something right there in the lot, if they don't have your vehicle, bgo elsewhere where they do have it, and don't pay full asking price. Always negotiate a fair reduced price.

Edited by KimoMax

Our local dealer (Korat) had a good stock of Nissan March in various colours and models, this was around 3-4 weeks back. We saw the model my wife wanted (CVT VL) and 2 days later we drove it away. No premium paid! Some dealers do have vehicles in stock you have to dig a bit.

Tas

Have to agree with post No 6, I too would not have paid a big deposit until the vehicle was in the showroom, or perhaps thats Nissan's policy?

I ordered a new Toyota pickup in February and only put down 5000 Baht.

When they informed my wife that it was unlikely to be here this year!, I cancelled the order.

Waited two weeks to recover my 5k Baht, had to be authorised by main office!.

Have to agree with post No 6, I too would not have paid a big deposit until the vehicle was in the showroom, or perhaps thats Nissan's policy?

The Nissan March has been a pre-order ever since it was released 15 months ago. There's zero chance of acquiring one without putting down a deposit and waiting like everyone else. I can handle waiting for a new Porsche or Ferrari, but a Nissan? TiT ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

He He, Therefore i bought a Ford. I'm sick of this "high nose service" from the Japanese Car dealers. Why should wait several months for just a normal dam 4 banger sedan car. Buy Ford or Chevrolet and you don't have that kind of troubles. In my opinion they are better cars for the money anyway.

The Nissan March has been a pre-order ever since it was released 15 months ago. There's zero chance of acquiring one without putting down a deposit and waiting like everyone else. I can handle waiting for a new Porsche or Ferrari, but a Nissan? TiT ;)

10 months ago I ordered a while Nissan March, manual trans. Still waiting on it. My wife wanted one with auto so I did find the purple one at at dealer and drove off with it. Love the car so decided I want mine in white too. So I will still wait.

As a note, after the November Auto show I ordered a Honda Brio. Was told April delivery. At the end of March I want to the Bangkok International Auto show. they had many Brios but this was the first time we could sit inside. Seemed very cheep inside with poor looking plastic. Days later Honda sent a letter that the Brio was delayed 6 - 8 months. Not likeing the interior I cancelled and then was told it would be just as long to get my deposit back.

I will stick with the March, so far wonderful and roomy. As for Honda, Never again will I get a Honda Car.

Hopefully my problem is now resolved. I was preparing to sue Nissan for breach of contract when a couple of guys visited my house from Nissan and told me there would be no further charges and the vehicle will be delivered albeit a couple of weeks late. Tks for all the advice.

Hopefully my problem is now resolved. I was preparing to sue Nissan for breach of contract when a couple of guys visited my house from Nissan and told me there would be no further charges and the vehicle will be delivered albeit a couple of weeks late. Tks for all the advice.

Dont think you have Won. You sure have got youreself an Enemy.:ph34r:

Try different dealers. We would be amaze at how the real system works. To the average car buyer, we think Nissan is one, but NOT.

Nissan is a manufacturing firm in Thailand producing cars which have a variety of Nissan dealers who operate on their own. Basically dealers are the "sales" of Nissan and not controlled by Nissan.

Going to a Nissan Dealer at the west side of town and the east side of town is totally different. And dont ever try to ask the west side, if the east side one has more cars, service, availability. They compete with each other. Next thing, ALWAYS BARGAIN. You can have the West side Nissan Dealer sales telling you, the best right now discount is only 10,000 baht off sticker price and that doesn't include any extra bonuses or free accessories. Simply drive to the East side Nissan Dealer, bingo! 25,000 baht off and INCLUDES ALL accessories and your car in 1-2 weeks.

Each dealer competes with each other to get the next car off the lot from Nissan Manufacturing factories. Some bribery and connection may come between as which salesperson has better "purchasing power" with the "insides" of the manufacturing plants.

As a tip for all you buyers: Expect a 2-3% discount easily off the sticker price PLUS most available accessories. So the more expensive your car, the more discount available. Generally a 1 million baht car, you can expect 20,000-25,000 baht off sticker price MINIMUM. Play the usual scenario, "let me ask my manager". Customer: "If it's acceptable at that price, we have a deal, go ask your manager, or I'll look for another sales who will get the job done."

Also for deposit, 5,000 is enough. If they say must minimum 10,000 be assertive, 5,000 or I leave. Remember guys, the power is with the buyer. They will pressure you and make you feel weak and controlled. Be assertive.

Last I would like to add a warning to stay AWAY FROM THIS DEALER.

Nissan Motors 2000, near intersection of Petchkasem Road and Phuttamonthon sai 4.

Worst sales service, dont even expect a smile, all they do is look at you frowning and unwilling to help.

They will put a FAKE red plate license on your new car just to sell the car. And the police will catch you. I am letting them be responsible for this ticket, though it already has been 1 month since I have given to them to take care off.

The servicing department will laugh at you if you say your cars have any problem. "it's normal, it's nissan."

Try different dealers. We would be amaze at how the real system works. To the average car buyer, we think Nissan is one, but NOT.

Nissan is a manufacturing firm in Thailand producing cars which have a variety of Nissan dealers who operate on their own. Basically dealers are the "sales" of Nissan and not controlled by Nissan.

Going to a Nissan Dealer at the west side of town and the east side of town is totally different. And dont ever try to ask the west side, if the east side one has more cars, service, availability. They compete with each other. Next thing, ALWAYS BARGAIN. You can have the West side Nissan Dealer sales telling you, the best right now discount is only 10,000 baht off sticker price and that doesn't include any extra bonuses or free accessories. Simply drive to the East side Nissan Dealer, bingo! 25,000 baht off and INCLUDES ALL accessories and your car in 1-2 weeks.

Each dealer competes with each other to get the next car off the lot from Nissan Manufacturing factories. Some bribery and connection may come between as which salesperson has better "purchasing power" with the "insides" of the manufacturing plants.

As a tip for all you buyers: Expect a 2-3% discount easily off the sticker price PLUS most available accessories. So the more expensive your car, the more discount available. Generally a 1 million baht car, you can expect 20,000-25,000 baht off sticker price MINIMUM. Play the usual scenario, "let me ask my manager". Customer: "If it's acceptable at that price, we have a deal, go ask your manager, or I'll look for another sales who will get the job done."

Also for deposit, 5,000 is enough. If they say must minimum 10,000 be assertive, 5,000 or I leave. Remember guys, the power is with the buyer. They will pressure you and make you feel weak and controlled. Be assertive.

Last I would like to add a warning to stay AWAY FROM THIS DEALER.

Nissan Motors 2000, near intersection of Petchkasem Road and Phuttamonthon sai 4.

Worst sales service, dont even expect a smile, all they do is look at you frowning and unwilling to help.

They will put a FAKE red plate license on your new car just to sell the car. And the police will catch you. I am letting them be responsible for this ticket, though it already has been 1 month since I have given to them to take care off.

The servicing department will laugh at you if you say your cars have any problem. "it's normal, it's nissan."

most car dealers use fake redplates. DLT wont issue them sufficient legal ones, and fakes are used to everyone not wanting to deposit 2k baht for legal ones with book

If you need legal redplate, insist on it when signing the deal and make it part of the deal

Same thing happened to me. Went over to the Mazda dealer and picked out a Mazda 2 from many on the lot. Better car, better deal. The lower level model at 570000 including insurance is flawless. Pay 70k for the passenger airbag in the next model. 15kpl on the highway.

Same thing happened to me. Went over to the Mazda dealer and picked out a Mazda 2 from many on the lot. Better car, better deal. The lower level model at 570000 including insurance is flawless. Pay 70k for the passenger airbag in the next model. 15kpl on the highway.

Do you mean you paid 70 000 Baht to get the extra airbag

in the lower model or did you actually buy the 2nd model?

Buying the next model up seems to make more sense.

Regards

Will

• 2 weeks later...

The problem as I see it is that many people are "satisfied" with the service they get when buying things in Thailand bacause in their experience nothing has gone wrong. This would be expected in the majority of cases anyway - in any country.

What the OP has encountered is a PROBLEM and the subsequent handling of iy by a Thai business.

Two things emerge then

firstly the unscrupulous behavior of the vendor is revealed and

secondly they realize that their is virtually NO consumer protection in Thailand.

you'll find this knd of behaviour in any company big or small that deals with the public - WHY - because they can!

Coda - Not just car dealers but companies all over Thailand are looking to see how they can turn a few extra bucks out of the tsunami - Nissan's problems may be genuine but I've come across some companies that have raised prices in a way that suggests thinly disguised attempt to profit out of this disaster.

He He, Therefore i bought a Ford. I'm sick of this "high nose service" from the Japanese Car dealers. Why should wait several months for just a normal dam 4 banger sedan car. Buy Ford or Chevrolet and you don't have that kind of troubles. In my opinion they are better cars for the money anyway.

Same same...... only different badge. Ford = Mazda and Chevrolet = Izuzu, but sold via different dealers. Sources are the same as are the cars.

Edited by GamLing

Same same...... only different badge. Ford = Mazda and Chevrolet = Izuzu, but sold via different dealers. Sources are the same as are the cars.

I believe that with ford/mazda that used to be the case but no longer

present Ford Ranger and Mazda bt50 are same, made at same plant. future pu to be introduced this year too.

cars differ more, mazda3 and focus same platform, mazda2 and fiesta same platform, but not same engines and design

chev colorado, izu Dmax same, almost identical

The Isuzu D-Max has been manufactured by Chev Thailand ever since the current generation was released.

Up until a couple of years ago, Ford owned 30% of Mazda which was enough to give them controlling interest over the company. That's now been reduced to 11%, but there's no plans to stop their 40-odd years of collaboration.

In fact, collaboration between car brands is only increasing, e.g.

Volkswagen own Porsche, Seat, Skoda and Audi. Audi owns Lamborgini. The Cayenne, Touraeg and Audi Q7 all use the same platform. The Audi R8 gets the Lambo V10, the Audi R5 gets the lambo V10 with two cylinders chopped off, the Cayenne hybrid gets Audi's supercharged V6.

Then look at PSA - it started as a collaboration between Peugeot, Fiat and Citroen, but now shares engine technology with BMW, Ford, Mitsubishi and Renault, and via Renault now shares engine tech with Nissan, who also now share engine and manufacturing tech with Mitsubishi.

The Jag XK uses the old 2005 Ford Mustang Chassis, and Ford engines - which are also used by Aston Martin. Proton and Hyundai both started life using Mitsubishi engines. Daewoo started life by buying the old MKIII Opel Astra design.

The Toyota Aygo is a Peugeot. The Peugeot 4007 is a Mitsibushi Outlander, the new Mazda Hybrids are using Toyota Hybrid tech. The Perodua Myvi is a Toyota Passo which is a Daihatsu.

The new GM diesel engines are designed by VM Motori, Toyota's hot engines are largely designed by Yamaha, etc etc

The list goes on :)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

• 2 months later...
<BR>
<BR>Try different dealers. We would be amaze at how the real system works. To the average car buyer, we think Nissan is one, but NOT.<BR><BR>Nissan is a manufacturing firm in Thailand producing cars which have a variety of Nissan dealers who operate on their own. Basically dealers are the "sales" of Nissan and not controlled by Nissan.<BR><BR>Going to a Nissan Dealer at the west side of town and the east side of town is totally different. And dont ever try to ask the west side, if the east side one has more cars, service, availability. They compete with each other. Next thing, ALWAYS BARGAIN. You can have the West side Nissan Dealer sales telling you, the best right now discount is only 10,000 baht off sticker price and that doesn't include any extra bonuses or free accessories. Simply drive to the East side Nissan Dealer, bingo! 25,000 baht off and INCLUDES ALL accessories and your car in 1-2 weeks.<BR><BR>Each dealer competes with each other to get the next car off the lot from Nissan Manufacturing factories. Some bribery and connection may come between as which salesperson has better "purchasing power" with the "insides" of the manufacturing plants.<BR><BR>As a tip for all you buyers: Expect a 2-3% discount easily off the sticker price PLUS most available accessories. So the more expensive your car, the more discount available. Generally a 1 million baht car, you can expect 20,000-25,000 baht off sticker price MINIMUM. Play the usual scenario, "let me ask my manager". Customer: "If it's acceptable at that price, we have a deal, go ask your manager, or I'll look for another sales who will get the job done."<BR>Also for deposit, 5,000 is enough. If they say must minimum 10,000 be assertive, 5,000 or I leave. Remember guys, the power is with the buyer. They will pressure you and make you feel weak and controlled. Be assertive.<BR><BR><BR>Last I would like to add a warning to stay AWAY FROM THIS DEALER.<BR><BR>Nissan Motors 2000, near intersection of Petchkasem Road and Phuttamonthon sai 4.<BR>Worst sales service, dont even expect a smile, all they do is look at you frowning and unwilling to help.<BR>They will put a FAKE red plate license on your new car just to sell the car. And the police will catch you. I am letting them be responsible for this ticket, though it already has been 1 month since I have given to them to take care off.<BR>The servicing department will laugh at you if you say your cars have any problem. "it's normal, it's nissan."<BR><BR><BR>
<BR><BR><BR>most car dealers use fake redplates. DLT wont issue them sufficient legal ones, and fakes are used to everyone not wanting to deposit 2k baht for legal ones with book<BR><BR>If you need legal redplate, insist on it when signing the deal and make it part of the deal<BR>
<BR><BR><BR>Well I did paid the 2,000 baht deposit for the red plate but got the fake one. After two months they finally got back my driver's license for me, that's atleast 7 times I had to go in the dealer. The last few times, finally they made it to the supervisor's attention and something started moving. They will always lie, "our sales is off to get it now", "next week guaranteed", keep repeating the same.<BR><BR>In my opinion, dealers that we buy for, we look for good customer service WHEN there is a problem. Price, negotiation, etc. is not that important in this regard, we would be willing to pay for more at a higher price as a guarantee if we meet problems, they would help us and not try to screw us over. So I'm very discontent with "Nissan 2000". Another thing to add is, my brand new black car came with all types of swirl marks and haze, and the interior you get black finger prints and etc. I still have this ongoing problem when moving the selector gear knob from D to N, there is a huge tremendous shake, everyone in the car would wake up and your water would spill. Took it in 3 times already, on the phone, "oh the problem is fixed 100%". Pick it up. The same. "erm... try driving it a bit, and if it's there, take it in again" IT'S ALREADY THERE.<BR><BR>I should try like the other forum members who posted they can go inside the lot and choose their car and take that specific one. How does that work? Do give us some intel please.<BR>Right now, on my end, it seems like you make the best offer with one salesperson and he/she has the power to get the car from anywhere, and it's totally up to them. I've even read some people would set the deal and pick up their car by themselves direct from the factory. Not washed(not scratched by their dirty mits, or polished incorrectly), not driven aggressively by some parking lot kid, etc.