Recalling The May 19 Govt Crackdown On Red-Shirt Protests

webfact

Recalling the May 19 Govt Crackdown on Red-shirt Protests

It is hard to believe it has been exactly one year since the government's crackdown on red-shirt protesters which plunged the capital into pandemonium.

But it seems not long ago that the red-shirt leaders took the stage at the Ratchaprasong Intersection to announce protest dispersal and surrender which sparked the violence turning Bangkok into an urban battleground.

On the morning of May 19, 2010, just minutes after the red-shirt leaders announced the protest dispersal on the Ratchaprasong rally stage due to pressure from military forces attempting to reclaim the area, uncontrollable violence quickly erupted among displeased protesters.

Although some red-shirt core leaders walked to the National Police Office to turn themselves in, sounds of continuous M-79 gunfire filled the streets, believed to be fired by hardline red-shirt protesters who were angered by their leaders' surrender, or perhaps, was simply an orchestrated plan to plunge the city into chaos and violence.

Violence and mayhem were prevalent and spread like wildfire to more than 40 spots, including the Central World Shopping Complex, Centara Hotel, Siam Center, Siam Theater, the Klong Toey Electricity Authority substation, 17 branches of various commercial banks and Big C Ratchadamri, along with other small convenience stores and businesses.

Smoke from the burning buildings billowed into the sky and sounds of gunfire and explosion echoed off buildings as clashes between military forces and protesters were rampant on the streets.

With the violent riots and clashes showing no signs of subsiding, the government decided to impose a curfew from 8 PM to 6 AM which was prolonged for more than a week before government forces were confident the violence was under control.

The red-shirt protesters made Phanfa Leelad bridge and Ratchaprasong Intersection their main protest sites prior to the violence, refusing to budge until the government would meet their demands and pressured Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva to announce House dissolution.

Red-shirt members were gathered from March 12 onwards, half a month after the Supreme Court ruled to seize 46 billion baht worth of assets of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The rallies quickly gathered pace as protesters set up large tents, projectors and mobile toilets in preparation for what was to become one of the biggest political demonstrations in Bangkok.

Protesters gradually intensified their demonstration with incidents like disrupting and storming the Cabinet meeting that was held at the 11th Infantry Division and splashing buckets of blood in front of Government House, the Democrat Party headquarters and the premier's private residence.

They also continuously threatened to incite violence in the city if necessary.

Constant hounding by the demonstrators on the government eventually led to red-shirt leaders and the prime minister agreeing to hold talks to try and resolve the political and social rift on live TV.

However, the televised two rounds of talks ended in a stalemate as the red-shirt leaders only wanted the premier to dissolve the House immediately.

From there, the protesters further intensified demonstration with threats to stir chaos and violence as well as stormed the Election Commission office, demanding answers to the case involving the Democrat Party and the donations of 258 million baht.

On April 7, Abhisit announced emergency rule over Bangkok and three days later on April 10, troops were instructed to surround and reclaim the Phanfa Leelad Bridge protest site, sparking clashes between the two sides.

Amidst the chaos, unknown individuals lurking in the red-shirt crowd were seen opening fire on military forces using war weapons.

The April 10 clash killed a total of 27 protesters and military men and injured more 1,400 people.

One of the casualties was Second Infantry Division deputy chief Colonel Romklao Thuwatham while Second Infantry Division Commander Major General Walit Rojanapakdee was shot in the leg.

Fighting between protesters and military forces erupted again on April 28 near the National Memorial Monument on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road as red-shirt protesters were making their way to the 11th Infantry Division.

A soldier was killed in the clash and more than 16 others were injured.

With the red-shirt protesters remaining encamped at their fortified Phanfa Leelad Bridge protest site for more than a month, red-shirt hardliners were becoming more and more prevalent.

In one incident, suspected red-shirt hardliners stormed Chulalongkorn Hospital claiming soldiers were hiding in one of the buildings waiting to attack the demonstrators.

The protesters halted traffic in front of the hospital causing fear and panic amongst patients and their relatives.

Reports of attacks continually made the headlines on an almost day-to-day basis.

Incidents like the shooting at the Saladaeng BTS station and Silom Road and the fatal M-79 grenade attack near Lumpini Park showed that violence was rapidly spiraling out of control.

On May 12, the Center for the Resolution of Emergency Situation announced it will take more drastic measures and threatened to cut off electricity, water supply and communications at the protest sites.

However, the measures were not fully implemented and became mere threats which the red-shirt leaders used to fuel their cause.

Tensions immediately flared after Major General Kattiya Sawasdipol, widely known as Seh Daeng, was assassinated with a sniper shot to the head while being interviewed by a foreign correspondent in front of Lumpini Park in the evening of May 13.

Kattiya's death immediately sparked an outrage amongst the red-shirt protesters.

Stacks of tires were placed to bar the BTS train routes and the protesters fired flares at a helicopter hovering above the Ratchaprasong rally site as well as burned tires to impair aerial vision.

Tires were also stacked and burned at Saladaeng Intersection, the Thai-Japanese Bridge, Bon Kai area and Rama IV Road.

Demonstrators fortified their positions at the Din Daeng and Ratchaprarop intersections, exchanging gunfire with military troops under thick black smoke as many cars and ATM machines were burned.

Miilitary forces maneuvered armored vehicles through the blackened streets and clashed with demonstrators resulting in dozens of casualties.

The unknown men in black were found again among the red-shirt protesters using war weapons and causing the death toll and injuries to rise.

On May 19, the government made the decision to “secure” the protest sites and sent military forces, armored vehicles and helicopters to carry out the operations at the break of dawn, taking the red-shirt stronghold at Lumpini Park later on that day and going on to “secure” other protest sites.

The red-shirt leaders eventually waved the white flag and were forced to announce the protest dispersal and gave themselves in to authorities.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-05-20

footer_n.gif

May I predict that this thread will eventually resemble some sort of poll with hordes of posters agreeing with this opinion piece and also themselves?

Am sure contrasting accounts are welcomed also...

May I predict that this thread will eventually resemble some sort of poll with hordes of posters agreeing with this opinion piece and also themselves?

Nothing much to disagree about.

not limited to Thailand, it is ultimately always the responsibilty of the government to not use lethal force against its own citizens. Had the Thai government kept to that responsibility, the events last year would have unfolded differently.

Speculating how the events would have developed is at this time is useless. The point is, the use of lethal force by a government against its citizens is never the right thing to do.

not limited to Thailand, it is ultimately always the responsibilty of the government to not use lethal force against its own citizens. Had the Thai government kept to that responsibility, the events last year would have unfolded differently.

Speculating how the events would have developed is at this time is useless. The point is, the use of lethal force by a government against its citizens is never the right thing to do.

Sorry, but I disagree .....

Whilst every attempt NOT to use lethal force against its own citizens should be the very top priority of any state. The use of such force is justified in the presence of an armed insurrection. In this case the reds escalated the violence every time. in an attempt to re-create Thai history. In the past when the military fired on protesters in BKK, the government fell very quickly. This time the protesters were armed and were the ones escalating violence, which is the only reason this government survived.

Sorry, but I disagree .....

Whilst every attempt NOT to use lethal force against its own citizens should be the very top priority of any state. The use of such force is justified in the presence of an armed insurrection. In this case the reds escalated the violence every time. in an attempt to re-create Thai history. In the past when the military fired on protesters in BKK, the government fell very quickly. This time the protesters were armed and were the ones escalating violence, which is the only reason this government survived.

This fits the scenario perfectly.

This was a large scale organized attempt to bring down the government, either by intimidation, which didn't work, or 'recreating history' with the aim of making the government fall via wide spread disgusted public cries for it to fall. NEITHER worked.

Now they are trying to use those attempts, yet again, as spin to sway voters a year later. They were trying to sway public opinion then, so this is just a continuation of those two, '09 + 10, despicable attempts at a coup from the street.

So even with Yinglucks pretty face, why do they expect a voter uprising, when the voters turned their backs on them a year ago and didn't rise up in anger against army and yellows? Maybe because 'the people' were getting enough true news, and accurate enough information, to SEE for themselves the sham that was the reds attempt to bring low the country via violence for Thaksins own ends. And the double sham of Thaksins political machine masquerading as a democratic entity working for the poor.

Edited by animatic

The unknown men in black were found again among the red-shirt protesters using war weapons and causing the death toll and injuries to rise

Devils advocate: Men placed by opposition forces to dispel popular public opinion and cause unrest.

Not the first time that a group, that has vast support, has been infiltrated and violent actions started to ensure that the popularity is instantly axed. With a group this large you cannot be sure who is standing next to you, they may chant the same slogans but their real agenda is the opposite. There is too much at stake politically in this situation for me to take what was written in the press (with it's own political agenda) as gospel.

Not for discussion, just food for thought before the ranting starts .........

The unknown men in black were found again among the red-shirt protesters using war weapons and causing the death toll and injuries to rise Devils advocate: Men placed by opposition forces to dispel popular public opinion and cause unrest.

Not the first time that a group, that has vast support, has been infiltrated and violent actions started to ensure that the popularity is instantly axed. With a group this large you cannot be sure who is standing next to you, they may chant the same slogans but their real agenda is the opposite. There is too much at stake politically in this situation for me to take what was written in the press (with it's own political agenda) as gospel.

Except that those men were claimed by various leaders of the redshirts including Seh Daeng and others .... in live broadcasts and in interviews. --- a nice try to deflect from the truth .. but it doesn't address any facts.

What ever happened to the red-shirt leader who they have on tape announcing "Burn everything... I will take responsibility..."

:jap:

That was Natthawut Saikua, now ranked 8th in Pheu Thai's list of candidates for the party proportional election. i.e. there's a chance that this terrorist may become one of the leaders of the country, and if not, then in the opposition.

Edited by hyperdimension

What ever happened to the red-shirt leader who they have on tape announcing "Burn everything... I will take responsibility..."

That was Natthawut Saikua, now ranked 8th in Pheu Thai's list of candidates for the party proportional election. i.e. there's a chance that this terrorist may become one of the leaders of the country, and if not, then in the opposition.

There is also a chance he will get "the needle" for inciting terrorism.

The unknown men in black were found again among the red-shirt protesters using war weapons and causing the death toll and injuries to rise Devils advocate: Men placed by opposition forces to dispel popular public opinion and cause unrest.

Except that those men were claimed by various leaders of the redshirts including Seh Daeng and others .... in live broadcasts and in interviews. --- a nice try to deflect from the truth .. but it doesn't address any facts.

MrChangers, please see the video I posted above. The last scene is where Arisman announces "the unknown armed elements which we have been waiting for as the third crystal ball, is ready to protect and help Red Shirt people."

Here is the entire media conference from which the excerpts were taken, in which there is plenty of other evidence of violence against soldiers:

Thailand Crisis May 2010 Subtitles (1/3):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogA_OctR2MM

Thailand Crisis May 2010 Subtitles (2/3):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmNNqCLfZ04

Edited by hyperdimension

That paints a pretty little picture, but it's only an opinion, and one far removed from the events that unfolded, as well as the facts in which we know.

Is it ok though if armed mobs seize a city, hold it under seige, attempt to kill and bomb other innocent civilians as well as soldiers? Is it acceptable to put up stakes, pertrol bombs at the BTS and so on? How would you peacefully stop that?

Abhisit is really the only leader anywhere who I can think of who showed so much restraint and in the end, outsmarted the mobs, as the only PM to still be in power after such events.

I think you are also confusing powers and decisions made by the army with the decisions and powers delegated to the PM and the gov't.

I was not trying to deflect anything but add to the mix that giving your opposition ideas can only create a self fulfilling prophecy.

My only hope is that during the run up to and post election days my family and friends can live safely and in peace.

My only hope is that during the run up to and post election days my family and friends can live safely and in peace.

That what I, and I assume many others who are against the UDD, Pheu Thai and Thaksin, want.

Edited by hyperdimension

That what I, and I assume many others who are against the UDD, Pheu Thai and Thaksin, want.

I think you will find that for most people, whatever side of the political divide they stand. Joe, or in this case, Somchai Public only want to live life in peace and get on with their own personal problems.

I shall be cheering for the sky-blue pink, green polka dotted shirt party rolleyes.gif

May I predict that this post will draw a few members who will say something against other posters here who happen to agree with the OP; and at the same time those members will keep quiet on the issue raised in the OP.

Natthawut threatens to sue each time Democrats say terrorism

Pheu Thai candidate Natthawut Saikua on Wednesday threatened to launch the legal proceedings each time the Democrats link him and other red-shirt leaders to violence and terrorism.

If the Democrats don't stop to insinuate a linkage between the red shirts and the last year's riots, then he will carry on taking the legal action treating each comment as a separate case, Natthawut said.

He said for each case, he would petition the Election Commission to look into the smear, a campaign offence punishable by party dissolution. He would also file a police complaint on libel.

In the morning, the Pheu Thai Party lodged the complaint calling for the investigation on campaign offence involving Democrat Party secretary general Suthep Thaugsuban.

In the afternoon, Pheu Thai candidate Weng Tojirakarn filed a police complaint at the Crime Suppression Division calling for the arrest of Suthep on defamation charge.

As evidence, Weng cited Suthep's remarks branding the red shirts as terrorists in coonection with the last year's riots.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-25

I have never understood how a government could let such a large group of people enter the city and take over the center of the town. As I watched the situation developed, it seemed obvious it was going to end badly.

The biggest mistake made was to allow it to get to the point that it did. It should have been stopped when the first lane of traffic was stopped.

Very irresponsible of the government.

Hmmmm Suthep may have to change what he says to " and the XXX Number of PTP candidates that have been charged with terrorism for the armed redshirt insurrection in Bangkok in 2010 who include ______" as he lists the names :)

Natthawut threatens to sue each time Democrats say terrorism

Pheu Thai candidate Natthawut Saikua on Wednesday threatened to launch the legal proceedings each time the Democrats link him and other red-shirt leaders to violence and terrorism.

If the Democrats don't stop to insinuate a linkage between the red shirts and the last year's riots, then he will carry on taking the legal action treating each comment as a separate case, Natthawut said.

He said for each case, he would petition the Election Commission to look into the smear, a campaign offence punishable by party dissolution. He would also file a police complaint on libel.

In the morning, the Pheu Thai Party lodged the complaint calling for the investigation on campaign offence involving Democrat Party secretary general Suthep Thaugsuban.

In the afternoon, Pheu Thai candidate Weng Tojirakarn filed a police complaint at the Crime Suppression Division calling for the arrest of Suthep on defamation charge.

As evidence, Weng cited Suthep's remarks branding the red shirts as terrorists in coonection with the last year's riots.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-25

If PT does somehow win this election, it looks like it will be old times again with frivolous lawsuits upon frivolous lawsuits. They've learned well from their paymaster.

The democrats response:

Democrat Party secretary general Suthep Thaugsuban simply outlined the facts related to the involvement of red-shirt leaders in 2009 and 2010 riots, party spokesman Buranaj Smutharaks said, rebutting the Pheu Thai complaint on false allegations.

Suthep did not smear Pheu Thai because his remarks were a factual summation of incidents that happened, he said."The red leaders were linked to riots at the Asean Summit in 2009 and sabotage and terror incidents in 2010 and these same leaders later became Pheu Thai candidates," he said.

The criminal provisions on terrorism camed into effect under the Thaksin Shinawatra government and the violent incidents involving the red shirts in 2009 and 2010 were not fabricated, he said.

Neither Suthep nor other Democrats tried to frame or smear with false evidence, he said.

The Pheu Thai Party has accused Suthep of violating the elections law and called for the Election Commission to launch a probe.

If found guilty of spreading false allegations to sway votes, the offender faces a jail term of up to 10 years. The conviction can also be the basis to petition for a judicial review on undemocratic means to grab power by the Constitution Court. The latter offence is punishable by party disbandment and five-year ban from holding office.

Reds linked to terrorism a fact: Democrat spokesperson

As evidence, Weng cited Suthep's remarks branding the red shirts as terrorists in connection with the last year's riots.

Suthep's remarks were preceded months ago by the Attorney-General and Courts saying the same thing when they indicted and charged the Red Shirts as terrorists in connection with last year's riots.

The Red Shirts have a long list of defendants to sue, including the world-wide media, if they wish to remain consistent.

Edited by Buchholz

There was another red shirt rally in central Bangkok this week, one I wasn't aware of or I would not have found myself in that part of town when the masses in red were ranting about the ills and illegitimacy of the current government. Anyway, I ducked into a nearby 7 Eleven and while I was in there overheard a brief exchange between one of the staff and a red shirt. The red shirt was asked what this particular rally was all about, and his answer said it all to me - "Mai roo" which if you don't speak Thai means "I don't know" but the tone of the response suggested a more accurate translation might have been, "I don't have a clue!"

At the bottom of this week's Stickman weekly

(/edit - and if you click through, don't forget to pay attention to the top part of the article. Almost completely unrelated, but worthy of a read)

:)

Edited by Insight

There was another red shirt rally in central Bangkok this week, one I wasn't aware of or I would not have found myself in that part of town when the masses in red were ranting about the ills and illegitimacy of the current government. Anyway, I ducked into a nearby 7 Eleven and while I was in there overheard a brief exchange between one of the staff and a red shirt. The red shirt was asked what this particular rally was all about, and his answer said it all to me - "Mai roo" which if you don't speak Thai means "I don't know" but the tone of the response suggested a more accurate translation might have been, "I don't have a clue!"

At the bottom of this week's Stickman weekly

(/edit - and if you click through, don't forget to pay attention to the top part of the article. Almost completely unrelated, but worthy of a read)

Stickmanbangkok.com the website for the expat family man community. B)

At the very bottom, just above the Sunbelt legal advice column I found the following recommendation:

"A good, accurate article titled Why Thailand's Sexpat Community Hates Taksin upset many this week, probably because it cut a bit too close to the bone for some!"