Warning Hsbc Credit Cards

HSBC in Thailand DO NOT comply with the Fair Credit Billing Aet. This means that if you card is used by someone else you must pay. They do not care what the situation and will not bother to follow up - they just take your hard earned cash.

If you have a card with them then cancel it now. if you know someone with a card then let them know that basically they have placed the entire value of the credit limit on the bar in pattaya. That is too much risk for anyone.

Please pass on this message.

Chris.

i'm not sure but expect that it's HSBC Thai branch card that are an issue. i assume that in the real world they conform to the local laws. this is just a word of warning to those that have a local version or are thinking about it.

however from my recent research i can see that they are indeed complete c*#ts and not to be trustedn in any languarge

some do, but not the kind that you go to.

my point was that it's the same a leaving the same amount of cash on the bar while you go take a piss. DONT USE HSBC they will make you feel like a cheap pattaya bar girl.

I think you'll find that its excessive drinking that makes you feel like a cheap Pattaya bar girl - regardless of the price. Unfortunately, for some of us, a couple of pints makes us feel like excessive drinking. But I really don't feel that it is right to blame my bank for my feelings or desires.

SC

Is the Fair Credit Billing Act a Thai Law? If so, you would presumably have a claim against them; if not, then it is scarcely surprising. There are probably a number of elements of Shariah law that they don't comply with, as well. In my experience, HSBC provide excellent service at a price, and I assume that is one of the reasons that they are one of the most successful banks worldwide, and able to provide so much support to the rugby community in Asia. If that is at the expense of idiots who are stupid enough to leave their card behind the bar in Pattaya, one can but express one's gratitude to the idiots.

SC

EDIT: To be honest, I prefer not to leave my credit card behind any bar, and prefer to settle my bills with cash, even if it costs to get the cash. Credit and drinking really don't go together - same as credit and gambling (almost).

<deleted>??? :blink: I'm assuming there is some sort of legit complaint against a merchant that caused the HSBC protest?? What, the beer was too watered down??

Not sure how any fair credit act in any country applies to consumed products anyway :ph34r: ??

<deleted>??? :blink: I'm assuming there is some sort of legit complaint against a merchant that caused the HSBC protest?? What, the beer was too watered down??

Not sure how any fair credit act in any country applies to consumed products anyway :ph34r: ??

I'm guessing that the OP was daft enough to leave his card behind the bar, and the Black Watch put the entire regiment's Export bill on it. Presumably there was a semblance of his signature on it, or whatever, and he has been stung for something dreadful; a lesson that you always pay in the morning, no matter what.,,,,

SC

Its all part of growing up and being British; stiff upper lip, man!

If you don't have the lard, you shouldn't have the card

All very funny. But this is a legit warning.

I did not leave my card in a bar, that was an example. I had it stolen along with all of my other stuff. They ran sacked my car.

The card was used to puchase goods all over town.

This could happen to anyone. In fact you could have someone use you card for days before noticing. As HSBC don't care they will not bother to inform you that you card was maxed out in a short space in time.

Same goes for any identity theft. They don't need you card, the stub will do. And the bank will send the heavies to collect from you the minute you make them aware.

Don't have the lard? This was a company credit card, as a serious international partner to the bank this is the way that treat people.

So, if you have a card beware, if you know someone who has one then let them know and if you have an application form put it in the bin.

Stiff upper lip, easy to say on a web forum. Next time you meet someone who's just had 200,000 baht stolen you tell them that to their face - you'll be seeing stars.

I have full proof that i did not use the cards. The bank is not interested.

I had a similar thing, sposed to go shopping for funiture ect for new house, but broke a bone in big toe, gave the mrs card and number, max 20k bht, [5 years ago] she came back that night and gave me bills totalling 150k bht, <deleted>,how? who? , she said i found the things we wanted, gave them your card, told them you sick, they take my ID card and copy, and all ok,,,, grrrrr. next time we went to the store, i complained bitterly to the boss, and he gave us a microwave,

Moral is, dont let your card out of your sight, and now, even i dont know where ive hidden it,,

Edited by Lickey

I am an HSBC Thailand card holder, and my experience is 180 degrees. After shopping in Prague, my card was apparently skimmed, and my next bill had all kinds if spurious charges on it.

Those charges were reversed by HSBC with no argument whatsoever.

I could not be happier with their service, and they have given me a credit line over twice as high (over 1 million baht) as Citibank, BBL, KTB, Central, or any of the other Thai cards I hold.

I'm not asking anyone to do anything for me. I am hoping that people with HSBC credit cards will become aware of the huge liability they carry.

I mean most people buy a car or motorcycle and get insurance in case it is stolen. In the US, UK, EU or Aus that insurance is in place but in Thailand you have to pay for unauthorised purchases.

I'm not asking anyone to do anything for me. I am hoping that people with HSBC credit cards will become aware of the huge liability they carry.

I mean most people buy a car or motorcycle and get insurance in case it is stolen. In the US, UK, EU or Aus that insurance is in place but in Thailand you have to pay for unauthorised purchases.

As I say -- not in my experience.

Peersonally I dont see the need for a "credit" card, its asking for trouble as your using money you dont have, and others will happily use it for you 'cos they dont have it either.

I prefer to use debit cards, your using money you do have and the minute it is used a txt message is received, so if its not legit the whole thing is cancelled with a phone call.

What happened here, if true, and there is always more info than posted, is sad, upsetting,frustrating and probably annoying but hopefully a good lesson learned.

DONT HAVE CREDIT CARDS.

You wouldnt walk around with 200k or more in cash in your pocket anywhere in Thailand, and you certainly wouldnt leave it in a car !!! and with a credit card its the same thing !

DANGEROUS AND ASKING FOR TROUBLE.

I am an HSBC Thailand card holder, and my experience is 180 degrees. After shopping in Prague, my card was apparently skimmed, and my next bill had all kinds if spurious charges on it.

I could not be happier with their service, and they have given me a credit line over twice as high (over 1 million baht) as Citibank, BBL, KTB, Central, or any of the other Thai cards I hold.

I have an SCB credit card and every time the card has been used for "big" amounts and or in quick sucession I get an SMS from them followed up by a phone call that i have actually made these transactions...good customer service

I have an SCB credit card and every time the card has been used for "big" amounts and or in quick sucession I get an SMS from them followed up by a phone call that i have actually made these transactions...good customer service

HSBC Thailand do call me. They don't have SMS service but they call me almost instantly whenever I do something out of character or on the internet.

Indeed. I have had an SCB card for 7 years with no issues. My missus has had an HSBC card for the same time and no problems. I've got mates that have had Thai credit cards for over 15 years and no problems. Again, something fishy to this story.

All very funny. But this is a legit warning.

I did not leave my card in a bar, that was an example. I had it stolen along with all of my other stuff. They ran sacked my car.

The card was used to puchase goods all over town.

This could happen to anyone. In fact you could have someone use you card for days before noticing. As HSBC don't care they will not bother to inform you that you card was maxed out in a short space in time.

Same goes for any identity theft. They don't need you card, the stub will do. And the bank will send the heavies to collect from you the minute you make them aware.

Don't have the lard? This was a company credit card, as a serious international partner to the bank this is the way that treat people.

So, if you have a card beware, if you know someone who has one then let them know and if you have an application form put it in the bin.

Stiff upper lip, easy to say on a web forum. Next time you meet someone who's just had 200,000 baht stolen you tell them that to their face - you'll be seeing stars.

I have full proof that i did not use the cards. The bank is not interested.

Well there's a few more details in this post then the OP isn't there?? Basically what your saying is that your card, that was in your car(?) got stolen and you were getting drunk so you didn't notice soon enough and someone ran up the card and now you're trying to contest the charges.. But the question you suspiciously don't answer is how long it took you to notice and report it stolen (now comes the new details once again for justification). All you say is a "short amount of time" but I know exactly where my card is and watch it all the time and I can say thankfully that I've never had your problems. So sorry for your circumstances but I think the problem is more related to your loose control of your card then it is HSBC. Most likely because as you say it was a "corporate card" so not as big a concern as if it was your own personal card no doubt.

Going back over 8 years ago now, before my wife and I were married, we traveled to Europe and she has/had an international Visa card issued by Bangkok Bank and the first time she tried to use it there the ATM snatched it without warning. The problem was she hadn't notified them she was going to be traveling so the card was confiscated thinking it may have been stolen so they do take action but within reasonable circumstances which I don't think apply here and frankly I'm glad they don't interfere with my purchases like you're asking them to do, it's frustrating and embarrassing, just keep better track of your card and leave it home or carry on your person, check your balances often and know when you used it and how often..

It would be nice if the bank called on occasion as my banks back home have done in the past when high dollar or numerous purchases were made to make sure I was the one doing the purchasing but in the end that's a courtesy and protection for them, not a requirement to keep track of your account and on further thought maybe you should just close it and any like it as they require a responsible person to manage and monitor :whistling: .... Maybe your company should consider someone more like myself too for their employ under the circumstances B) ..

I still don't see your beef with HSBC and Thailand laws being what they are with naming and bad mouthing people and businesses and all I think you should reconsider your stance about the complaint as it doesn't have merit IMO..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Something fishy about this story. Who investigated you your case? How is it you have to ask someone on TV for assistance and contacts at HSBC rather contacting the bank directly?

Plenty fishy with it..

All credit cards carry a huge liability, how old are you and how long have you had a credit card??

Peersonally I dont see the need for a "credit" card, its asking for trouble as your using money you dont have, and others will happily use it for you 'cos they dont have it either.

I prefer to use debit cards, your using money you do have and the minute it is used a txt message is received, so if its not legit the whole thing is cancelled with a phone call.

What happened here, if true, and there is always more info than posted, is sad, upsetting,frustrating and probably annoying but hopefully a good lesson learned.

DONT HAVE CREDIT CARDS.

You wouldnt walk around with 200k or more in cash in your pocket anywhere in Thailand, and you certainly wouldnt leave it in a car !!! and with a credit card its the same thing !

DANGEROUS AND ASKING FOR TROUBLE.

Disagree completely..... For responsible people, credit cards are very safe and convenient and not necessarily used when you don't have cash to pay for something. They are more convenient and safe in the right hands without having to carry large amounts of cash...

Debit cards have far more limitations placed on them as to where you can use them..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I think the more important issue here for people to consider is ... how do Thailand's consumer protection laws for credit card mis-use compare to the comparable laws in your home country...

At least in the case of the U.S., a customer with a U.S. bank issued credit card is far better protected than a U.S. consumer with a Thai bank issued card. That's because the U.S. protections are spelled out clearly in U.S. federal law....everyone knows what they are...and the banks are required to comply with them.

In Thailand, how banks handle cases of credit card fraud seem to be wildly variable, and I've never been able to get a clear sense of just what protections Thai law (for Thai bank issued cards) does provide. Short of that, you're left to the whims and mercy of your local bank... not exactly a position I'd want to be in.

Ohh...and by the way... the standard 20% APR interest rate charged by Thai banks on their credit cards isn't much of an attraction either.

Edited by jfchandler

HSBC UK

skimmed at a well known restaurant in Pattaya

used to spend at a bogus on line Canadian pharmacy

HSBC called to ask, why in Thailand and spending on Meds in Canada ?

they stopped the card, sent another one, credited the charges

end of ...........

maybe they think the person running around town spending, was you?

i used to live in Marbella Spain in the days before electronic card readers

it was common practise there for tourists to sell the credit card to touts or friends who lived there who would then use it to buy saleable goods with 24 hours until the card was maxed out

people would report it lost after 24 hours and make a police report

the purchases would be covered and they would have had cash for the holiday

Is the Fair Credit Billing Act a Thai Law? If so, you would presumably have a claim against them; if not, then it is scarcely surprising. There are probably a number of elements of Shariah law that they don't comply with, as well. In my experience, HSBC provide excellent service at a price, and I assume that is one of the reasons that they are one of the most successful banks worldwide, and able to provide so much support to the rugby community in Asia. If that is at the expense of idiots who are stupid enough to leave their card behind the bar in Pattaya, one can but express one's gratitude to the idiots.

SC

EDIT: To be honest, I prefer not to leave my credit card behind any bar, and prefer to settle my bills with cash, even if it costs to get the cash. Credit and drinking really don't go together - same as credit and gambling (almost).

what kind of Shariah Law element a Thai credit card issuer need to comply with?