Where To Stay Where To Go

Hi.

I live in Bangkok but thinking of driving down to Samui for a 2 week break in July/August.

Know nothing about the place other than it is supposed to be beautiful.

Being 60 and married I am not interested in girly bars etc but enjoy good food and a laugh.

I don't want expensive resort type places to stay but equaly don't want to slum it.

Any suggestions of decent friendly places to stay and visit much appreciated.

Having a car I want to get out and about and explore a bit.

Steve

I'd suggest Ban Tai, Maenam areas, (north end) or perhaps some Chong Mong areas, (Oh except for the annoying Jet Ski's in Chong Mong)! ....

Many decent places to stay, in all price ranges, some good restaurants too.... not sure about a good laugh... !:D

For much quieter areas prehaps SW corner, of the island around Thaling Gnam area...

I doubt any thing will be busy at that time, so if you arrive early enough drive down some of the side roads especially in Ban Tai, that go to the beach areas, and check places out... generally quieter and peaceful!.. .. and find that "perfect spot", there are still some areas on the island, that are not bar after bar after bar!!!!;)

I'd book somewhere for a couple of nights (maybe in the Fishermans Village, Bophut) and i'd drive around for a day looking for the right area. From what you've said, avoid Chaweng and Lamai

one of my favorite sunday drives here is the 4171(? i think) road from the hua thanon area to namuang area. the road is in great condition with some fantastic views over to koh taen and mudsum then heading up the mountain to the magic garden to cool off in the shade. there are waterfalls to stop at however they aren't that impressive unless it's been raining recently.

i dunno but samui needs more tourist attractions. like dysney land but not dysney land cause it is shit. maybe just something with big rollar costers and some old style english pubs. also could do with a race track that people could do track days on and a proper water park. not a mikey mouse 1.

samui is hitting the news interantionally we must keep up standards with other toursit destinations. nice beaches is not enough. too many hotels need more attractions.

also we need someone to stand up for forang rights. the taxi service could die if they just were a bit more fair with their pricing.

even hotels are not advise people to take taxis. there should be more govement points were the price is pre arranged like in the airport in bangkok plus pay for service. i think the taxis would be more busier and richer if they were more fair. plenty of drunk drivers around that would rarther get a taxi if they thought they were not going to be ripped off.

i kknow this is not directly on topic just a another 2 pence worth or 2 baht. ( of gold ) :jap:

i dunno but samui needs more tourist attractions. like dysney land but not dysney land cause it is shit. maybe just something with big rollar costers and some old style english pubs. also could do with a race track that people could do track days on and a proper water park. not a mikey mouse 1.

samui is hitting the news interantionally we must keep up standards with other toursit destinations. nice beaches is not enough. too many hotels need more attractions.

also we need someone to stand up for forang rights. the taxi service could die if they just were a bit more fair with their pricing.

even hotels are not advise people to take taxis. there should be more govement points were the price is pre arranged like in the airport in bangkok plus pay for service. i think the taxis would be more busier and richer if they were more fair. plenty of drunk drivers around that would rarther get a taxi if they thought they were not going to be ripped off.

i kknow this is not directly on topic just a another 2 pence worth or 2 baht. ( of gold ) :jap:

I try to stick to the songtheuws. From Green Mango to FV at 3am for two people charged 300 Baht. I wonder what ridiculous fare would have been offered by the taxis?

Banrak has many retired Expats, good fun, good food.

Not many girlie bars.

Samui Mermaid resort is value for the money.

I'd agree with Samui Mermaid, perhaps as a starting point. I've known a few people who have stayed there & been happy.... the food is pretty good too... Beach side is a little more expensive but still very reasonable... if you want cheaper, the other bungalows are across the street are less money... if I remember correctly they start at about 450 baht a night... might be less during off season!

Choengmon is probably the best beach on Samui with quite a few good restaurants, and a great little village.

Cheaper than Fisherman's village and a better beach than Bangrak.

Cheap resorts are Choengmon Bungalows and my favorite - PS Villa. (now called PS Thani Resort I think)

PS Villa is next to the Bank of Ayudhya.

http://hegelund.com/

Tripadvisor gives it good revues

Just my personal opinion, I am sure that others will disagree B)

I am not sure now. Samui is expanding before everything used to center around chaweng and other surrounding areas though some of the other parts are building up and are less spoilt better for a family of forabgs that want to be away from all the banter like lipa noi hau thannon maenam ban po and even nathong.

Dempends on what sorte of persn u r. I seem to be moving further away from the built up areas and getting hapier with my dission u r never far away from a famiy mart 711 or a tescos for year forang snack consumotion. And there are resturents dotted everywhere even on the mountains through dirt roads

Choengmon is probably the best beach on Samui with quite a few good restaurants, and a great little village.

Cheaper than Fisherman's village and a better beach than Bangrak.

Cheap resorts are Choengmon Bungalows and my favorite - PS Villa. (now called PS Thani Resort I think)

PS Villa is next to the Bank of Ayudhya.

http://hegelund.com/

Tripadvisor gives it good revues

Just my personal opinion, I am sure that others will disagree B)

Two or three years ago I visited Choengmon beach and was reasonably impressed....

When there the other day, was not impressed at all, but not 100 % sure,( so not agreeing or disagreeing with Tropicalevo)....... that I was on the same beach I remembered, we had a useless taxi driver who did not know the area and even with google map on my Ipad, he no understand, (even thought we had one Thai with us) ..... that we should have been going in a different direction ( I think)!

The beach we visited the other day was grubby, noisy and those annoying venders walking along the beach... reminded me of Hau Hin on my first visit to Thailand, never did go back there again!

When there before I remember going through a Temple Arch way, which never seen or found since, to the right side, then down a bit of a dirt road.... That was the area I remember being not too bad!

Edited by samuijimmy

There is no temple arch on Choeng Mon, but on Menam. But then on Menam there are no vendors like Hau Hin and it's not grubby and noisy, except when Lomprayah comes.

But there is a welcoming-to-a-hotel arch on Choeng Mon and then a bit of a dirt road to the beach between the Boat House and Honey Cottages.

Anyway the best beaches are Middle to Southern Lamai or Middle to Western Menam, if you don't like Chaweng and if you don't wanna be alone like on Thongson Bay.