Change Owners / Green Book

The easiest way will be to go to the Land Transportation Office together and take the bike with you. The officers will be helpful (if you are polite to them) and you will do the procedure in a (quite) short time. While you are waiting in the queue, look for some people who are willing to act as witnesses, because you will need two of them to sign the transfer document. I did the whole procedure in about one hour in Phuket, it CAN be done. Oh yes, there will be a "check-up" of the vehicle, too. Emissions are measured (kind of), and the engine number is checked against the Green Book.

Good luck!

if the owners not thai, don't they have to get a residence certificate from immigration to effect a transfer?

you can take it to a Government agent to do the transfer for you to avoid queues

they do the vehicle checking too

they charge a fee for the service but it will save you many hours waiting

present owner needs to bring passport with valid permit to stay

buyer needs to bring passport with valid permit to stay and a certificate of resident issued by Immigration or your Embassy.

Bring bike and above to DLT, if bike inspection reveals no problems, transfer to new owner is accepted within an hour.

Thank you for your help.

Questions:

"buyer needs to bring passport with valid permit to stay and a certificate of resident issued by Immigration or your Embassy"

- I have my Non O Visa, how can i get a certificate or residency? I presume that i cannot get one from Immigration....

"present owner needs to bring passport with valid permit to stay"

- He will provide me with a photocopy, is this ok?

Thank you for your help.

Questions:

"buyer needs to bring passport with valid permit to stay and a certificate of resident issued by Immigration or your Embassy"

- I have my Non O Visa, how can i get a certificate or residency? I presume that i cannot get one from Immigration....

"present owner needs to bring passport with valid permit to stay"

- He will provide me with a photocopy, is this ok?

if present owner does not go to DLT he needs to sign a proxy and a transfer form, both witnessed, in addition to signed passport copies. I would not pay present owner before bike has been accepted for transfer by DLT

different Immigration have different requirements to issue certificat of resident, Phuket presently accepts rentalagreement or Tabien Baan without residents or tabien baan supported by house masters id card and a statement. Most Embassyes require no documents at all.

Most Embassyes require no documents at all.

Mine said: Bring your passport , an adress and 530b and we help you! biggrin.gif

Sounds great but how can they have a clue about where i live in Thailand and do "transportation" belive them? Soon i will know ... ermm.gif

I must admit, that I purchased a bike, that I took an instant shine to! Paid the cash, took the bike away (out of province) and then spent 6 months chasing the 'farang' seller for copies of passports/ visas/ work permits/ more copies of the same stuff again and again! Not his fault - he had a bike to sell, I wanted to buy it! Getting it registered in my name in my province was not that simple! I could scan and photocopy all my documents, but getting the 'sellers' documents may be harder (not because they're dodgy', just because they normally don't need to produce copies of passports and visas to sell a bike in their home country!

Buy it, but don't expect to 'ride it away' (at least not legally)!

Most Embassyes require no documents at all.

Mine said: Bring your passport , an adress and 530b and we help you! biggrin.gif

Sounds great but how can they have a clue about where i live in Thailand and do "transportation" belive them? Soon i will know ... ermm.gif

yepp, DLT believes them

Thai staff at your Embassy may want to see a businesscard with adress from the hotel you live at. ask hotel to write proper adress, Thanon/Soi, Moo, Tambor, Amphur

I must admit, that I purchased a bike, that I took an instant shine to! Paid the cash, took the bike away (out of province) and then spent 6 months chasing the 'farang' seller for copies of passports/ visas/ work permits/ more copies of the same stuff again and again! Not his fault - he had a bike to sell, I wanted to buy it! Getting it registered in my name in my province was not that simple! I could scan and photocopy all my documents, but getting the 'sellers' documents may be harder (not because they're dodgy', just because they normally don't need to produce copies of passports and visas to sell a bike in their home country!

pay the cash when DLT has accepted the bike and seller docs. hazzlefree way to become the owner

yepp, DLT believes them

Thai staff at your Embassy may want to see a businesscard with adress from the hotel you live at. ask hotel to write proper adress, Thanon/Soi, Moo, Tambor, Amphur

Great , I will use my wifes´ familys adress in BKK unt´ll we have our own and i think i have all the "Thanon/Soi, Moo, Tambor, Amphur" on a pcs. of paper here! jap.gif

pay the cash when DLT has accepted the bike and seller docs. hazzlefree way to become the owner

Hindsight! And a 320km each way interprovince drive, whilst simple, does not guarantee hassle free! And there was no way that I could get this bike within the province!:jap:

Hindsight! And a 320km each way interprovince drive, whilst simple, does not guarantee hassle free! And there was no way that I could get this bike within the province!:jap:

then one usually completes transfer in Province of purchase to avoid later hazzle. Unless one preferes hazzle

then one usually completes transfer in Province of purchase to avoid later hazzle. Unless one preferes hazzle

You are so right! I don't mind a bit of hassle - I'd love to try some hazzle though!:rolleyes: