Salad Concept Gave Me A Heartache

MangoAndCo

A Salad Concept vent

Salad Concept is very popular and I shouldn't say anything negative about this place, but what happened this week absolutely made me

itchy...

I arrived at 9:30PM and asked if the kitchen was still open (they close at 10PM)

I chose a table outside in the back of the restaurant and after 5 minutes I was served a great looking plate. But then they started to clean: sweeping and using this terrible smelling cleaning agent. I had to move inside to avoid this, but it was OK, I was hungry and the food looked inviting so I was excited and took a first bite. But then... my heart broke... I expected the fish to be warm and crunchy, but mine was old, cold and soggy...

I told this to the waitress, and she said the (battered) fish had been warmed in the microwave... Ah! that explained the sogginess...

The manager(ess) suggested me to choose a salad and eat it at home, which was not an option for me. And then she suggested me to pay 50% of the order, ouch... the rest of my heart crumbled.. I told her I just couldn't pay for this old cold fish ... The pretty macquillaged manager tried again and used her charm, but I said I really couldn't pay for something that is not right. I told her that it was not a problem and I'd come back, but earlier in the day.

Problem solved, but I was sooooo disappointed...

Edited by MangoAndCo

Don't go to a salad bar at night it's common sense It's salad it had been sitting there most of the day.

Yeah mom... ;-)

Btw that's why didn't order a salad.

Venturalaw, I really need to go to Meechok Plaza again soon, there are too many new eateries I haven't tried yet.

The salad bar at Meechok/Ruamchok is so much better. The staff are nicer, its not as busy but best of all they are not tight on the portions.

One thing I would recommend is there chicken, oh my is it good.

The salad bar at Meechok/Ruamchok is so much better. The staff are nicer, its not as busy but best of all they are not tight on the portions.

That's the one I was talking about - Coco Salad. The chicken is excellent - I always have it on the salad. The 'balsamic-creamy' dressing is so good!

Edited by venturalaw

Who would go and order a fish at Salad Concept? It's a salad restaurant!

Salad Concept is great. So is Cocos. But they are salad restaurants. I would never order spaghetti at Cocos even though they sell it there. Just like I would never order a fish at Salad Concept. Remember....salad...salad...no heartaches, headaches, heartburn or whatever...just salad.

Edited by elektrified

Don't salads at the Salad Concept cost something like 50 baht? They probably can not afford to be too generous with the quantities of ingredients. unsure.gif

They're around 80-100 baht, and are generous enough. We nearly always go for the ceasar, think its's 80 baht-ish. My wife ordered that fish dish once, she won't be having that again. They're cakes are pretty good too, can't be too healthy now.

That's the one I was talking about - Coco Salad. The chicken is excellent - I always have it on the salad. The 'balsamic-creamy' dressing is so good!

I am not sure if Coco Salad bar is better... the spicy salmon salad wasn't filling. But it was a good entree and I went to Kelly's for fish and chips.

They're around 80-100 baht, and are generous enough. We nearly always go for the ceasar, think its's 80 baht-ish. My wife ordered that fish dish once, she won't be having that again.

Agreed. Salads are nice, avoid the fish. Also avoid going in their last hour of opening; they are happy enough to take your order, but not so keen on letting you finish your meal in peace.

Edited by Contractor

If i see a place about to close, i dont eat - out of respect for the workers, they've had a long hard day and its time to go home, why make them all wait for your own satisfaction.

move on.

If i see a place about to close, i dont eat - out of respect for the workers, they've had a long hard day and its time to go home, why make them all wait for your own satisfaction.

move on.

Spraying with cleaning agent and sweeping for my satisfaction? ;-)

Just say: sorry, the kitchen is closed. Salad Concept's staff is young, dynamic and schooled, they are not from the lower social class.

And they have been selling 'no's' before to me, so that can't be it. If I'd had a business I'd choose for quality and wouldn't give the customer a mushy product, I wouldn't mind saying "sorry sir, kitchen is closed"

What you say sounds noble,but I I don't agree. I can't imagine you not going to a shop 30 min. before closing time just to spare the workers...

move on.

Spraying with cleaning agent and sweeping for my satisfaction? ;-)

Just say: sorry, the kitchen is closed. Salad Concept's staff is young, dynamic and schooled, they are not from the lower social class.

And they have been selling 'no's' before to me, so that can't be it. If I'd had a business I'd choose for quality and wouldn't give the customer a mushy product, I wouldn't mind saying "sorry sir, kitchen is closed"

What you say sounds noble,but I I don't agree. I can't imagine you not going to a shop 30 min. before closing time just to spare the workers...

I agree mango. Too often is evidence of the desire to do whatever can be done to lesson the workload rather than provide quality, cut corners, basically outright laziness, in favor of attending to customers. This is pervasive throughout the country. It's one of the negatives. It also makes a place that goes out of the way for the customers a real find. They do exist, and they are greatly appreciated.

move on.

It was not "about to close" when I and others went there.

I also had the cleaning fluid treatment that Mango describes, as well as chairs being put on tables all around remaining customers for added effect (later taken down again as we left as they had not wiped the tables!)

If staff do not want to serve a customer and let him have his meal in peace, then don't take his order! Or, have a policy of "Last orders by ...." Simple really.

Edited by Contractor

I tried Salad Concept when it first opened. I ordered, and asked for the salad dressing to be put on the side. When I was tossing my salad, I noticed a long black hair in it and called the server over. She smiled when I showed it to her. I then asked for the manager, who said "sorry". I wasn't offered a different choice, left the uneaten salad, paid the bill, and vowed not to return.

I guess that they have thrived with their concept and expanded. But, with the lack of customer service and satisfaction they gave me, I vowed never to return, as there are many hundreds of restaurants who would appreciate my business.

You chaps must be retired and rather bored, or how can it be explained that you find the time to discuss cold fish and hairs in soups at length? :D

Cheers, CMX

How do you find time to read about it, and then post a comment?

Haha... Venturalaw had a good night of sleep!

Going off the salad subject for the moment, I went to the new Vietnamese place in Meechok the other day. Found the food was good, but felt that there was more choice and equally as good quality to be found at the Vietnamese restaurant down past Kellys. Before anyone asks, I have no connection to either restaurant, just offering my opinion.

Sawasdee Khrup, CM TV Friends,

Well, speaking of heartache's salad and cold fish, we can relive our experience of having a relationship exterminated when we ran out of green.

We'd like to say to Khun MangoAndCo, in a brotherly elder-primate way, that, yes: this will pass.

It soothed us to think about what Jorge Borges said: "In the River of Delights, Panic has not failed me."

best, ~o:37;