Marriage Process In Thailand

hello,

im an australian citizen, 25 years old wanting to get married to a thai national (same age) and have a few questions about the process.

so in my understanding i need to go to my embassy and sign an affidavit regarding my martial status and have that affidavit translated from thai to english or vice versa before i can register my marriage at a district office or amphur. is that right?

questions before i go to embassy:

- what requirements do i need to meet to be eligible to marry?

- and what are the requirements for my girlfriend (if any)

- what documents will i need to bring to the australian embassy?

- do i need to make a formal apointment?

- how long does the process take

also i should say that i want to bring her over to live in australia and was wondering what the visa situation would be if we were to get married?

does she apply for citizenship? or is there just a marriage visa.

appreciate any help,

kind regards

Mike

Edited by mike404045

Am sure that everything you asked could be answered by looking on your Embassy's website.

Your girlfriend does not need any documents at your Embassy, when I did it (British Embassy) I needed the Affirmation to Marry and my Passport. After receiving it duly stamped I got it translated into Thai, then you go to the MFA on Chaeng Wattana to get it Certified by them, after you have received it back you can to to the Amphur and get married.

3 days for all if lucky

The doc from Oz embassy has to be translated from English to Thai and signed off at the ministry of 'whatever it is'.

Think you need to take passport obviously, payment in baht and if married before you need proof of divorce...at 25yo one would hope that is not relevant.

As for going to oz....i believe the process from here is slow now, but no idea really as to what is current......but as for citizenship....no, she does that in Oz after she has been there for so many years and qualifies I believe.

What your girlfriend needs is to bring her ID card. If she was married before, she needs to bring her divorce certificate.

You need the letter from your embassy. The embassy decides what proof they need, so do have a look at their webiste. Their webiste will also give you some details about the visa application for her.

thanks for the input guys! should of mentioned in my post that both of us have not been previously married.

the australian embassy's website doesn't mention anything about marriage however i found a few bits of info from 'australia.gov.au'

so most of my questions are answered now.

thanks again

The doc from Oz embassy has to be translated from English to Thai and signed off at the ministry of 'whatever it is'.

Think you need to take passport obviously, payment in baht and if married before you need proof of divorce...at 25yo one would hope that is not relevant.

As for going to oz....i believe the process from here is slow now, but no idea really as to what is current......but as for citizenship....no, she does that in Oz after she has been there for so many years and qualifies I believe.

My divorce was over 20 years ago and I have no decree or paperwork. Then what, deny being married before or,,, ?

well this morning i went to the australian embassy with my statutory declaration already filed out, was the only person there so i was in and out within 5 minutes. i think i paid 650 baht.

then jumped in a taxi and went a few soi's down to a travel agency (that a lady at the embassy recommended me to go to) had my declaration translated into thai in less than 30 minutes, paid 600 baht (if memory serves me right)

then went to the ministry of foreign affairs, took about 15 minutes to fill out the form, have it checked and then handed in. paid 800 baht and was told it would take 3-4 hours.

went to central shopping centre, had some lunch, did a bit of window shopping.

got back to the MFA in the arvo, picked up the document now im ready to go to bang rak and get married.

not alot of waiting around, actually a pretty easy process. hopefully bang rak goes just as smoothly!

My divorce was over 20 years ago and I have no decree or paperwork. Then what, deny being married before or,,, ?

Yes,let them prove you were if its that important.Thay asked me for the Original, i had only a coppy so they said just put Single.

Yes,let them prove you were if its that important.Thay asked me for the Original, i had only a coppy so they said just put Single.

thanks Wandrin

I did this mariage 6 months ago.

The documentsfrom the embassey have to authenticated by thai authorities before you go to amphur.

You have to go to a thai gov office out near the old airport to have it authenicated.

It will take 1 day if you pay express.

If you go to an amphur authentication you will not get married.

If you need to know where to go get back to me and i will look in my files about where to go

Edited by raymp

He has clearly stated he has done everything required (in one easy day) and is ready to visit a District Office to register the marriage. There is no reason for any legal firm for this simple process which any Embassy is fully aware of and will advise free of charge.

The attached file is exactly how to marry in Thailand.

As i said before the documents must be autheticated by the thai government dept of consular affairs.

The address of where to do this is in the file.

The best way to get to the thai consular is to go BTS to MO CHIT then get a taxi for about 180 baht to the consular.

Go in the front door up the escalator you will find the office on the left. They speak english enough to know what you want.

If you go to an amphur without authentication you will not get married. Take 2 photo copies of everything or they will send you outside to a copy shop.

Go early like 9 am and be prepared to wait a long time. We went at 1 pm and left at 6 pm.

MARRY TO THAI CITIZEN.pdf

:rolleyes:

I'm an American...but some years ago I went through the process to marry my Thai wife. I'm sure that your embessy has handled the same request, many times, so they know the procedure you will have to follow, and can give you all the details.

Just a couple of points, from my experience at th U.S. embessy...obviously some details and regulations will be different with the Australian embessy.

1. You will have to sign a LEGAL document that states you have never been married...or if you have... you will need a divorce decree or some legal document showing the legal "termination of marriage" as they call it. They will emphasise that this is a LEGAL document and any false statement can make your marriage application void.

In my case her husabnd never divorced her...he just left. That turned out to be a problem, because the U.S. embessy and the Thai authorities wanted proof of either a divorce or as they call it "legal termination of the marriage". Fortuneately (at least for me)he went to Australia after he left my wife, was killed in a traffic accident 3 years later (he was drunk at the time), and his record of death was available. That solved the problem of "legal termination of marriage" very neatly for me, if not for him.

2. Not sure about the Australian embessy....but the U.S. embessy had a list of approved Thai translators. It is wise, but not required, to use one of those approved translators for the Thai translation...because when the Thai ministry looks at the translation, they will recognise that approved translation and the stamp...so they usually don't ask any questions about the translation.

:rolleyes:

If you want to come to Australia with here you have to proove that you are min 1 year together.(with same adress, bankaccount, loveletters, etc) Then she will get a 2 years temporary visa so she can work here.

After 2 years you have again to proove that you are still in the same household and then she will get a permanent visa.

I went trough that and it was a hard way to get there. The imigrations office wants to know when she is born and why!!!!

Then after 2-5 years she can applay for citizenship.

Just because you are married to a non-Australian citizen does not mean that she (he) will automatically get a spouse visa.

Once the spouse visa holder arrives in Australia they must wait for 2 years before applying for citizenship.

If the relationship breaks down within those 2 years the visa holder must show cause why they should remain in Australia.

Sometimes a fiance visa is a better option. This , I think, gives your and your fiance 12 months to decide if you are happy living in Australia together. After 12 months then you must get married or your fiance must return to her (his) own country.

www.siam-legal.com - here is a company that specializes in doing this...no hassles...I have used them in our marriage and I was completely satisfied.

Well, I guess before I'd go to a law firm, I'd rather do it by myself. Hope you're still completely satisfied with being married. (Joking!) :jap:

Is the marriage visa the same requirements for support of thai kids.....either 400k in bank or 40k a month income ??

The extension based on marriage is the same as for based on kids. Officially it is an extenson based on being a family member of a Thai antional.

I am thinking of marrying my Chinese fiance in Thailand in the future. All the information I have read regarding marriage in Thailand always refer to going to your embassy. I live in Chiang Mai where there is a US and Chinese Consulate. Can I assume my GF and I can get all relevant documents at our respective consulates and get approved translations (English to Thai and Chinese to Thai) in CM as well?

Thanks

normally you would need the following to bring to your embassy:

gf's birth certificate

gf's passport

gf's certificate of celibacy

your passport

your birth certificate

they will then issue you with a paper ( after a couple weeks) to be translated in Thai and certified at the ministry of foreign affairs consular section in Cheng Wattana ( 200 baht per page)

then you can go directly to Laksi city hall with the certified copy and get married in 30 minutes ( they provide the witnesses) , then go back to the ministry to certify the marriage certificate and then to your ambassy to regularize the marriage in the eyes of your country's regulations.