Oman Air - Dubai To Bangkok

Debothai

After using thai and emirates many many times, i thought of trying Oman Air, mainly because I wanted to see Muscat....What are your views on the Oman Air product? They are somewhat cheaper than Thai and a lot cheaper than emirates, etihad and qatar airways...

Oman Air are fine. Not absolutely wonderful (Etihad are better in my view), but quite acceptable, particularly if you can get a good deal on the fare. Food and service are OK, though you may have to ask for acoholic drinks.

Muscat is well worth a visit for a day or two - quite a different look and ambiance to Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Hotels tend to be more expensive than the UAE though, and generally represent poor value for money in comparison.

Bear in mind that the Capital Area is very spread out and public transportation is limited to non-existent. Taxis are also a major rip-off unless you know exactly what you are doing, and the distances involved mean that getting around can be horribly expensive. It might be worth your while hiring a car as this gives much more freedom and mobility, and the cost (about OMR 10 per day), will be the equivalent of two or three taxi fares (unless you can bargain like an Omani woman in the fish souk - preferably in Arabic).

Edited by Rumpole

Actually transport and hotels in Muscat are not a concern since i will be visitng a friend who lives and works there, and visas are also provided at the airport to those with uae visa. I was more interested to hear about the oman air experience...from those who travelled with them before...

I work in Muscat and use Omanair at least 3 times a year to travel to Thailand and have done so since they opened the route about 4 years ago. In my experiance, they have become a very good carrier in quite a short time.

In cattle class, the food is fine with a decent choice of well presented food (as good as you can expect in the class!). The service is good and the staff are polite and friendly. Alcohol is readily available (even through the holy month of Ramadan, but you do have to request it).

The aircaft are the modern A330 with a wide range of up to date movies available in seat back screens. In addition, Omanair claim they are the first carriers to allow wobile phone and internet use whilst in the air (I was worried that I would be subjected to non-stop phone chatter throughout the journey, but that does not seem to happen probably because of the cost of the calls).

For me, the direct flight is a real bonus, they stick quite well to their schedule and I really cannot say I have any complaint about the company.......NO, I dont work for them but am VERY happy to recomend them to anyone.

Enjoy!

KS

Used Oman Air once BKK/MCT/FRA/MCT/BKK in business class.

Excellent !!

The best business class seats I have ever experienced.

However Muscat airport is a let down compared to their inflight experience.

Used the internet option on board just for the thrill of it and it worked albeit slowly..

Yermanee :jap:

• 3 weeks later...

mine was 2790dh bought from dnata near the clock tower.....return dxb-mct-bkk-mct-dxb the next cheapest was with QR but you can't beat the 5h30m flight from mct to bkk, it is that short...from doha you are looking at 7 hours...

What did you have to provide / pay to get your visa at the airport?

How long does it take?

You don't need any special documentation, just your passport. The cost is OMR 20, if memory serves correctly. You will get a 30 day Tourist Visa on arrival, which can be extended for a further 30 days in-country. Omani immigration, at least at Muscat airport, is very efficient nowadays, so it shouldn't take more than a few minutes. Queues have almost disappeared since nationals and legal residents have been able to use their Omani ID cards to pass through an electronic gate system.

Additionally, there is now a 'common visa' facility between Oman, Qatar and Dubai. 59 nationalities who hold a visitor's visa stamped by any of the three can use the same visa to enter the others, subject to certain conditions. (This seems to exclude the other 6 Emirates of the UAE - not quite sure how that works).

Edited by Rumpole

• 6 months later...

Excellent !!

Used the internet option on board just for the thrill of it and it worked albeit slowly..

Yermanee :jap:

what about the business class lounge?Comparable to the business lounge in Doha?In Bangkok you must use the Sky lounge and not the Thai lounges.In Munich you can not use the Lufthansa lounges but the Atlantic Lounge is offered.But they offer chauffeur driven limousines Qatar not.

Excellent !!

Yermanee jap.gif

what about the business class lounge?Comparable to the business lounge in Doha?In Bangkok you must use the Sky lounge and not the Thai lounges.In Munich you can not use the Lufthansa lounges but the Atlantic Lounge is offered.But they offer chauffeur driven limousines Qatar not.

Oman Air have their own lounge now in Bangkok in concourse E.

Muscat lounge here : http://www.omanair.com/wy/information-services/airport/oman-air-lounges

Haven't used any of their lounges in Europe because in Europe I always check-in as late as possible. Lounges in Europe are generally very poor compared to the Middle-East and Asia.

Nothing compares to the Qatar Doha premium lounge although sometimes a little bit to crowded.

Have now used Oman Air in business class 2 times and can only confirm my previous statement i.e. the best experience ever.

Hope to have helped

Yermaneejap.gif

Excellent !!

Yermanee jap.gif

Oman Air have their own lounge now in Bangkok in concourse E.

Muscat lounge here : http://www.omanair.c...man-air-lounges

Haven't used any of their lounges in Europe because in Europe I always check-in as late as possible. Lounges in Europe are generally very poor compared to the Middle-East and Asia.

Nothing compares to the Qatar Doha premium lounge although sometimes a little bit to crowded.

Have now used Oman Air in business class 2 times and can only confirm my previous statement i.e. the best experience ever.

Hope to have helped

Yermaneejap.gif

did you use their limousine service?