Mother Inlaw Always Has Somthing New.

happydaze

My Thai wife's mother seems to come up with somthing new every month just to make life even more complicated.

I would like to know in Thailand is it true that once a loan is paid out on a property, is it then required for the new owner (mother) to pay the government some sort of large fee or tax, possibly transfur tax?? If so is it a very very large sum of money.

Or is this another tall story?

Never heard of that myself. It's interesting that you start your topic with "My Thai wife's mother seems to come up with somthing new every month just to make life even more complicated ", seems to me that in your heart, you know she is trying various methods to scam you. Once you start helping out your wife's family, you'll never stop, until the pot is empty. A tactic I used, early on in my marriage, was to tell my wife about all the scams I was reading about on ThaiVisa, how terrible some Thai families were, using the daughter to trick the farang husbands out of money for all kinds of spurious reasons. They've never asked me for anything, may be worth a try. ;)

New one on me, but ive only purchased half of a propery off a Deceased Estate. Gran left it 50/50 to 2 Grandkids.I Purchased the half off the Wifes Cousin, went to Land Office together,but before i did i got the 30 Year Lease thing sorted out.. O.K. it was 30 Years ago, but i would remember any big fees,and there were non, just a small Drinks Party for the Land Office Chaps who checked the Cement Boundry Markers.Without those Markers you have purchesed FRESH AIR. As an aside,you get very unpopular with the Newbie Crowds Wives if you advise them to ask a Bank how much they would lend you against it after you have bought it..Buyer Beware more so overhere.:jap:

Happydaze

There is definately a transfer fee required when buying land / property. Although the amount varies based on the transaction value.

In your case not sure when it would apply given you have stated that you are paying the property off.

Craighj

We bought with a mortgage from Siam Commercial Bank; the transfer fees were paid at that time. When the mortgage was paid off, we simply got it removed from the chanot; no transfer fees required.

My wife's mother bought my wife a car on credit, the loan finished last month and we had to pay a transfer fee from the loan company to my mother as she was the person who took the loan, so yes a transfer fee is required (ours was 1500baht), and we have to transfer it again from my MIL to my wife, another 1500baht.

My wife's mother bought my wife a car on credit, the loan finished last month and we had to pay a transfer fee from the loan company to my mother as she was the person who took the loan, so yes a transfer fee is required (ours was 1500baht), and we have to transfer it again from my MIL to my wife, another 1500baht.

Why didnt you buy it in the First Place, and save 3K,?. You most likely did anyway.B)

Why didnt you buy it in the First Place, and save 3K,?. You most likely did anyway.B)

My wife got it before we met, I paid the maintenance costs on it and my wife gave her Mum money every month.

Depending on how long the house was owned by the same person taxes vary when you transfer the property. However, when a property is transferred you have some taxes (land, government) to pay which represent 3.3% and 2% of the value of the house and the land combined (the government inspectors will decide on the value).

Otherwise, when you own a property that is not being used (no one lives inside for a long time) you have to pay taxes to the government.

Hi, out of interest could you clarify what you mean 'once a loan is paid out'? Do you mean approved by a financial institution?

There is a tax, a transfer fee, when you buy property in Thailand.

Hi, it was a loan my wifes mother has had for years for a double story building, shop at the bottom and living/ bedrooms at the top. Its said she has now paid the bank out and the reason she needs my wife to send her a lot more money is that there are some sort of tranaction fee'e to the gov or somthing..

Never heard of that myself. It's interesting that you start your topic with "My Thai wife's mother seems to come up with somthing new every month just to make life even more complicated ", seems to me that in your heart, you know she is trying various methods to scam you. Once you start helping out your wife's family, you'll never stop, until the pot is empty. A tactic I used, early on in my marriage, was to tell my wife about all the scams I was reading about on ThaiVisa, how terrible some Thai families were, using the daughter to trick the farang husbands out of money for all kinds of spurious reasons. They've never asked me for anything, may be worth a try. ;)

That is a great idea... might try it on. She has got a fair idea though that i am done even careing about her mum, but its seems like her mum just wont let up on her. How do you stop that for my wifes sake.

Happydaze

There is definately a transfer fee required when buying land / property. Although the amount varies based on the transaction value.

In your case not sure when it would apply given you have stated that you are paying the property off.

Craighj

Its her mums that has been paying of one of those double story buildings for years now and apperantly she has finnished.. But my wife says thats not where the costs stop. fee's ect... but how much and to who is never really clear. Its not me directly that is being hit up but its the stress that my wife is under being a new mum as well the upsets me.. so its probably a round about way to have me send money..

Depending on how long the house was owned by the same person taxes vary when you transfer the property. However, when a property is transferred you have some taxes (land, government) to pay which represent 3.3% and 2% of the value of the house and the land combined (the government inspectors will decide on the value).

Otherwise, when you own a property that is not being used (no one lives inside for a long time) you have to pay taxes to the government.

Thanks, that does not seem much (3.3%). I suppose if your right then it is just another tall story.

This is a popular sport, for many Thai MiLs who have farang sons-in-law, but you don't have to play ! B)

Yeah , I found out the hard way about thai mums after the eposide I had over the sin sod. 200000 baht with no return even though there was a baby on the way already.. Love my wife but I know now the mother will always be on our backs .

I was under the impression that tax is paid on the difference between the previous sale value and the present sale value i.e. the profit made by the vendor after inflation has been taken into account..

After a pretentious bitch at Lomsak amphur insulted my wife and said in front of an audience that she thought the money being paid for a property had been stolen, and that the transfer would not be officially recorded. I went to the amphur the following day and spoke with the phu yai. I asked for the name of the bitch and said that my wife would be filing a complaint of deformation of character with the police and also taking civil action. I confirmed that I had willingly supplied the wherewithal and would have no interest in the property. One item amid the reparation offered was the reduction of tax payable from 17,500 baht to 8000 baht. Maybe they just think up a number and pocket a percentage?