Netherlands to close cannabis coffee shops to tourists

News_Editor

Additionally, the Dutch government also decided on Friday that coffee shops will not be allowed within 350 meters (1,100 feet) of schools. This measure is aimed to stop students from visiting the coffee shops.

As if 350 meters were are a far to long distance to walk to get something to smoke. B)

It will be only to long if you are stoned. So it maybe stops coffee shops visiting students from going to school. :whistling:

Apart from the fact that coffee shop members must be at least 18 years of age. Should exclude most in primary/secondary schools ;)

I would think that it would be a violation of EU standards on discrimination and human rights. Basically, the gov't will be discriminating against foreign nationals, even though they may be members of the EU.

The membership system would negate some of this, but only to the extent that tourists or non-Dutch nationals could access the system.

Thoughts?

The proposed legislation specifically prohibits tourists and non residential non Dutch nationals from becoming a member of any of the coffee shop clubs. Also It seems that the issue of discrimination against other EEC citizens has been raised and allowed by the European courts. Thus it all hangs on the issue of enforcement of what is as yet a policy in the making.

I think what everybody is forgetting is that it is not actually legal to buy/sell cannabis in Holland it is merely tolerated.I have lived in Holland for 12 years now and after learning about the proposals to try and stop selling weed to the tourists i asked some of my friends what they thought about that>Their general reply was in agreement with the government to do so because they were sad to see what Amsterdam had become....in their eyes it had become a shi#hole controlled by mafia,H/A and North African drug dealers.Their feeling was if the tourists no longer came to Amsterdam only to get high then hopefully it would reduce the amount of 2-bit dealers on the streets.

I would think that it would be a violation of EU standards on discrimination and human rights. Basically, the gov't will be discriminating against foreign nationals, even though they may be members of the EU.

The membership system would negate some of this, but only to the extent that tourists or non-Dutch nationals could access the system.

Thoughts?

Is it now allowed to discuss the EU (Brussles) in this thread?

I don't know that a discussion of Brussels is germane to the thread. I was simply curious as to the legality of treating one group of people differently than another and which agency might legally be able to stop the move.

The discussion is about cannabis in the Netherlands, not about the EU in general.

If cannabis isn't technically legal, is it decriminalized? Does anybody know what the laws are on this issue.

I am wondering how they can sell a membership for a group of people (Dutch citizens) which allows them to use a non-quite-legal substance, but prevent others (tourists) from doing so?

I think that the Dutch are very progressive in this, but it is unfortunate that it attracts undesirables.

I figure the rest of the world will catch up in another 20 years.

Legalize drugs everywhere and the problem goes away. People have to learn how to make reasonable decisions about their lives and they sure ain't going to learn under the present system.

If cannabis isn't technically legal, is it decriminalized? Does anybody know what the laws are on this issue.

I am wondering how they can sell a membership for a group of people (Dutch citizens) which allows them to use a non-quite-legal substance, but prevent others (tourists) from doing so?

It is what you might call a gray zone,the Dutch call it looking through your fingers (tolerated basically),so i guess they are deciding only to tolerate it from members of their own country.The main problems are the borders hoppers (France,Germany and Belgium)that come over and buy it on mass and then go back to their own countries and sell it.

Not sure this is related, but rumour has it even Bill Clinton came to have a look:

"Bill Clinton enjoys applepie in Amsterdam, cafe Papeneiland"

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-614569?ref=feeds%2Flatest

"Apparently he liked the pie so much, that he took a whole pie home when he left the pub"

I know that feeling.

Edited by samurai

Scott, the legal issue was decided last December.

The European Court of Justice ruled that Dutch authorities can bar foreigners from cannabis-selling coffee shops. It all came out of a 2005 law in Maastricht which was contested. The court said the city of Maastricht was within its rights when it passed a 2005 law stopping foreigners entering cafes that sell marijuana.The law was aimed at curbing so-called drug tourists driving from Belgium and Germany to buy marijuana. The owner of a Maastricht coffee shop had challenged the 2005 law, arguing that the policy breached EU laws on free movement of goods and services. The court ruling said the restrictions complied with EU law. "That restriction is justified by the objective of combating drug tourism and the accompanying public nuisance," the court said. the court added that the governments of Belgium, Germany and France had linked drug tourism to public order problems in their own countries. (Source in part BBC)

The Dutch have been under pressure from its EU neighbors for a long time to respond to the complaints about tourists coming back with weed, In a Europe where there is a strong united government effort to curtail smoking, it seemms a bit odd that places which allow smoking would be encouraged. The EU rules allow for local laws that maintain public order and promote public health policy. I note that no EU member governments protested the Dutch law.

I don't know why anyone is going to be too distraught over the restrictions. One will still be able to source some weed and to partake in a quiet spot. It's just that the specific shops will be subject to some new rules.

I guess they still have the assisted suicide market, though I heard a rumour Thailand are looking to muscle in on that. :lol:

I think there is a list you can get on and they(Thailand) will take care of that for you!

Ganja you can get in some states in the US with a prescription from Dr. Munchie. Easily obtained i hear. As for personal consumption you can grow three plants but i dont have any of the specifics on the states. Krispy Creme stock has gone through the roof!