New Bus Terminal For Chiang Mai

Sparkles

As frequent users of the CM Arcade Bus terminal we returned yesterday from Hua Hin and noticed a considerable amount of building activity opposite.One building,nearer to the Highway appears to be either accomodation or offices but to the right, as you stand with your back to the Terminal another large building. It was said to us ,by the taxi driver,that this was to be a new adddition to the Bus terminal complex .Anyone have any information? I think anyone who uses the current terminal would agree its well past its use by date ,dirty, crowded and during busy times,somewhat chaotic.

I think anyone who uses the current terminal would agree its well past its use by date ,dirty, crowded and during busy times,somewhat chaotic.

I don't use the bus terminal anymore since becoming filthy rich, but from what I remember from my poor days is that indeed it was a mess. Would be nice to have something like Bangkok's Mo Chit 2, but smaller of course.

The new bus terminal (third Chiang Mai Acade) by construction contact have to be finished on 31th May 2011 but now extended for 45 days , it's mean around 15th July this year will be done.

It's only another shopping complex that is being built next to the bus terminal. It has nothing to do with Arcade bus terminal.

I try to search information in English but no have, you can use google to translate.

I have some picture of building and website but in Thai I see the project will finished on 09/2011 different date from wat I found in other website (around 15 July 2011) and the company who building this project is Link Innova Properties.

The building will make 2 stories in L form, all with air condition and with LCD monitors that you can see the departure times and arrival times and the company's name is

http://sp2.tkk2555.com/sp2/ebud_province.aspx?reg=1

dscn3290.jpg

It's only another shopping complex that is being built next to the bus terminal. It has nothing to do with Arcade bus terminal.

Yes, this is what I have heard.

Just what Chiang Mai needs, that`s another shopping centre, I don`t think.

If you can ask someone to translate from Thai to English I have more informations about it such as : http://region3.prd.go.th/ct/news/showprint.php?ID=110524152412 , this website is part of The government public relations department http://thailand.prd.go.th/index.php and they have also many interesting informations about event in Chiang Mai too.

Another one is http://www.chiangmainews.co.th/page/?p=27629 posted on 25 Mei 2011 but also in Thai.

If you can ask someone to translate from Thai to English I have more informations about it such as : http://region3.prd.g...ID=110524152412 , this website is part of The government public relations department http://thailand.prd.go.th/index.php and they have also many interesting informations about event in Chiang Mai too.

Another one is http://www.chiangmai...h/page/?p=27629 posted on 25 Mei 2011 but also in Thai.

The links say that the new bus terminal is expected to be completed just before the Royal Flora Expo this year. It was designed to look and feel more like an airport than a bus terminal with fully air-conditioned ticketing areas and waiting rooms. The total cost of the construction is 160 million baht.

So I guess it would come out looking exactly like Mo Chit 2... which is a very good bus terminal :)

Thanks for the feedback. It seems,on evidence, it is to be a modern bus terminal. I must admit I thought it unlikely to be another shopping centre as that location would be in the worst possible place.

Just a word of praise for Nakonchai Bus Company. .We use them all the time and never been disappointed. They have been smart and used the airline model. Check in for your bags , labelled, reclining seat , individual screens with choice of movies, meals on board .For 605 baht ,a third of the cost of flying it has to be good value if you are not in a hurry. Very little turbulence either and you don't have to walk a km to retrieve your bags !!

Thanks for the feedback. It seems,on evidence, it is to be a modern bus terminal. I must admit I thought it unlikely to be another shopping centre as that location would be in the worst possible place.

Just a word of praise for Nakonchai Bus Company. .We use them all the time and never been disappointed. They have been smart and used the airline model. Check in for your bags , labelled, reclining seat , individual screens with choice of movies, meals on board .For 605 baht ,a third of the cost of flying it has to be good value if you are not in a hurry. Very little turbulence either and you don't have to walk a km to retrieve your bags !!

They even have a better seat for 806 Baht... just amazing. Some airlines can learn something from them.

So I guess it would come out looking exactly like Mo Chit 2... which is a very good bus terminal :)

Except for the actual platforms from where where the buses leave. There's a huge central area that's all airconditioned but essentially wasted space, but still you have to walk through a hot, grimy area with diesel fumes as you walk to the bus. It would be nicer if the aircon area extended to where the bus platforms are.

Also there is a big distance between the arrival area and departures. When you arrive from Chiang Mai and want to continue on a different bus then it's quite a hike to the main terminal building.

And, perhaps worst of all: The neither the BTS, MRT nor SRT trains connect to it!!! They all get close-ish, but definitely not close enough to walk with luggage. What an incredible oversight to have two hugely expensive mass transit systems and the oldest existing train line so close to it, but then fail to actually connect to the biggest bus terminal in the country..

So.. is it a very good bus terminal? Compared to Ekamai, yes. Compared to what 'very good' means relative to everyhting else: No. :)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

And, perhaps worst of all: The neither the BTS, MRT nor SRT trains connect to it!!! They all get close-ish, but definitely not close enough to walk with luggage. What an incredible oversight to have two hugely expensive mass transit systems and the oldest existing train line so close to it, but then fail to actually connect to the biggest bus terminal in the country..

So.. is it a very good bus terminal? Compared to Ekamai, yes. Compared to what 'very good' means relative to everyhting else: No. :)

That's the problem with this country. Goverment entities, organizations and operators never finish dealing or talking about connection between two systems. Even if that is the case, then there usually be a question whether who is going to pay for the connecting platform, walkways, etc. Thailand still has a long way to go when it comes to anything related to conciliation between any two entities to make the public more convenient.

That's the problem with this country. Goverment entities, organizations and operators never finish dealing or talking about connection between two systems. Even if that is the case, then there usually be a question whether who is going to pay for the connecting platform, walkways, etc. Thailand still has a long way to go when it comes to anything related to conciliation between any two entities to make the public more convenient.

Right, even when both are publicly funded government entities! That's just ludicrous, but part and parcel of the Thai system of governance.

They even have a better seat for 806 Baht... just amazing. Some airlines can learn something from them.

What do get for an extra 200 baht? just interested !

Yes. but don't forget the 10-11 hour difference in traveling time. :)

As they say in the west. Time is money.

Edited by Semper

Larger seats and personal TVs I think.

First Class: 800 baht http://www.nca.co.th/firstclass.php

Gold Class: 600 baht http://www.nca.co.th/goldclass.php

I've heard about it a lot from friends and praises on twitter but never once use it.

I just can't afford the travel time. Cannot wait for high speed train between Chiang Mai and Bangkok though. If it's something appx three hours then it would be ideal, considering the actual time taken for flying (traveling to the airport, checking in, waiting, taxi-ing, luggage claim, etc).

Air Asia book in Advance is only 1200-1500 baht. Saving a full night and not having to listen to crappy Thai kaoroke with low class degenerates is worth the extra 400-700 baht. Not to mention the amount of bus accidents that occur. But you save your extra few baht and I will visit your grave.

As to the OP, sounds like a great improvement if it actually reaches fruition. Time will tell. hard to believe that they can finish that much work in just 6 weeks.

When the VIP first class bus was only 480 baht to BKK and flights were a minimum of 2,500 it was definitely worth it, especially when you could get the sleeper bus, but now it really isn;t if you book your Air Asia flights early.

Yes. but don't forget the 10-11 hour difference in traveling time. :)

As they say in the west. Time is money.

That tired old saying only applies to if you are on business, and we are not in the west ! If you are not in a hurry whats the problem ?

Larger seats and personal TVs I think.

First Class: 800 baht http://www.nca.co.th/firstclass.php

Gold Class: 600 baht http://www.nca.co.th/goldclass.php

I've heard about it a lot from friends and praises on twitter but never once use it.

I just can't afford the travel time. Cannot wait for high speed train between Chiang Mai and Bangkok though. If it's something appx three hours then it would be ideal, considering the actual time taken for flying (traveling to the airport, checking in, waiting, taxi-ing, luggage claim, etc).

You get a personal screen on the 605 baht fare.I can't think of anything else you could need apart from a few glases of red and a cheese platter.High speed rail Chiang Mai to Bangkok ? with respect, with the state of Thai rail that's just a dream.

Cannot wait for high speed train between Chiang Mai and Bangkok though.

Indeed. (Cannot wait, unless you plan to live for 100 more years.)

My baby boy's grandson may have a shot though.

I'm more than 100% sure it won't be that long.

Given how hungry politicians are, they want this project to start ASAP (but completing is another matter, but I'm sure the Chiang Mai route can be done if Phua Thai wins)

High speed rail Chiang Mai to Bangkok ? with respect, with the state of Thai rail that's just a dream.

It won't be under the State Railway of Thailand (a walking zombie, it's a dead organization waiting to be bankrupted but simply can't due to stupid outdated laws)

I have a lot of "insider information" when it comes to Thailand's transport services and projects :P

That's the reason why my parents live here.

Given how hungry politicians are, they want this project to start ASAP (but completing is another matter, but I'm sure the Chiang Mai route can be done if Phua Thai wins)

Well, I hope Phua Thai wins too of course, but there's the following:

* High Speed will require all new track, likely both ways. Not sure SRT owns enough land all the way through?

* Especially Lampang - Chiang Mai is very hilly, it would be a major challenge to make it flat and straight enough. Are they drilling another Khun Tan tunnel?

* The best they could hope for in travel time is about 4 hours. (Right?) That's still a lot more than the 1 hour flight.

* Air Asia charges like 1200-1800 baht to fly to BKK. SRT currently charges 750 or so. After all that investment, the ticket could not go higher than 1000.. Don't think it makes economic sense.

* Phua Thai doesn't have the greatest relationship with SRT. Democrats don't have the greatest relationship with the North (or with anyone outside the South, urban 'haves' and the military/etc). No matter who wins I don't see it happening.

* Setting up a parallel state run train company in addition to SRT is also ridiculous. And sourcing the land a nightmare.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Well, I hope Phua Thai wins too of course, but there's the following:

* High Speed will require all new track, likely both ways. Not sure SRT owns enough land all the way through?

* Especially Lampang - Chiang Mai is very hilly, it would be a major challenge to make it flat and straight enough. Are they drilling another Khun Tan tunnel?

* The best they could hope for in travel time is about 4 hours. (Right?) That's still a lot more than the 1 hour flight.

* Air Asia charges like 1200-1800 baht to fly to BKK. SRT currently charges 750 or so. After all that investment, the ticket could not go higher than 1000.. Don't think it makes economic sense.

* Phua Thai doesn't have the greatest relationship with SRT. Democrats don't have the greatest relationship with the North (or with anyone outside the South, urban 'haves' and the military/etc). No matter who wins I don't see it happening.

* Setting up a parallel state run train company in addition to SRT is also ridiculous. And sourcing the land a nightmare.

Construction isn't the problem. If they have money they can do it. But land ownership will surely be a problem. I don't think they can fit all the tracks into SRT existing land due to the nature of the standard gauge train.

When it comes to feasibility and ROI, it is still profitable, at least to the public. Thailand will be able to finally reduce logistic costs which is very high at 17% or above right now of the final products. The new trains do not necessarily have to be under SRT. SRT is fighting hard to get this project but no one even in the current cabinet wants it to be under the SRT. Reforming the SRT has proven time and time again to be impossible and more difficult than setting up a new entity like what they previously did with the MRT in Bangkok (BMCL).