Work Permit On A 60 Day Extension Of A Non-O

My future employer has said that the labour department have told them, that they cannot apply for my work permit as I am on a 60 day extension of my non-o (visiting my Thai child), is this true ?

I thought a work permit could be applied for on a Non-O ?

(My non-o extension runs out on June 19, is this too short a time to apply for the work permit ?)

Thanks for any answers :-)

You can apply for a work permit on just about any type of legal entry into Thailand. You must have a Non-Immigrant "B" visa, "O" if on married extension of stay, in your passport to be issued the work permit by the Labor Office. Rules are always subject to change, TIT!

Edited by InterestedObserver

Thanks for the answer, so could we go to immigration or labour department and change me non-o and extension for a Non-B for the work permit ?

The usual procedure is to apply for the work permit, take the WP3 receipt the Labor Department gives you, go to a local Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate and get the non-immigrant "B" visa, return to the Labor Department and be issued the formal work permit. It is unlikely that immunization will change your current non-immigrant "O" visa extension into a "B" for the purpose stated.

Thanks for the answer, so could we go to immigration or labour department and change me non-o and extension for a Non-B for the work permit ?

I'm afraid you're too late. It could have worked when you would have applied for a change using the TM.86 form, 21 days before expiry of your current permission of stay.
go to a local Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate and get the non-immigrant "B" visa

OP is asking about a change at an Immigration Office. Not about applying for a visa at an Embassy or Consulate in one of the neighbouring countries.

I'm afraid you're too late. It could have worked when you would have applied for a change using the TM.86 form, 21 days before expiry of your current permission of stay.
go to a local Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate and get the non-immigrant "B" visa

OP is asking about a change at an Immigration Office. Not about applying for a visa at an Embassy or Consulate in one of the neighbouring countries.

The OP needs a non-immigrant "B" visa for a work permit. Please cite a reference or post where immigration has changed/issued a non-immigrant "B" visa in Thailand for the purpose of obtaining a work permit.

I read that the 21 day rule is not always strictly enforced ?

and ref the Non b thing, if they are telling me to go and get a tourist visa in laos to then change at immigratio, what is the difference from changing my non-o and extension to a non-b at immigration (thereby saving time, trouble and money going to Laos)

I read that the 21 day rule is not always strictly enforced ?

and ref the Non b thing, if they are telling me to go and get a tourist visa in laos to then change at immigratio, what is the difference from changing my non-o and extension to a non-b at immigration (thereby saving time, trouble and money going to Laos)

Have you asked immigration yet for a non-immigrant "B"?

Edited by InterestedObserver

I also thought that having a non-imm O visa can be used to get a WP once a job is secured..I also have received my non-imm O visa based on my marriage to a thai.I too, would have prefered a non-imm B visa, but since I don't have a secure offer yet, I opted for an non-imm O visa...with the idea that it would be possible to get a WP.

Edited by Debothai

I also thought that having a non-imm O visa can be used to get a WP once a job is secured..I also have received my non-imm O visa based on my marriage to a thai.I too, would have prefered a non-imm B visa, but since I don't have a secure offer yet, I opted for an non-imm O visa...with the idea that it would be possible to get a WP.

The Alien Working Act specifies a non-immigrant visa (must be authorized to enter the Kingdom temporarily), specifically excluding a tourist or transit visa. The Labor Department usually requires a non-immigrant "B" business visa, an "O" has been accepted on occasion especially when the applicant has a one-year extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai. The applicant usually takes his WP3 work permit application receipt and goes to a local Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate and gets a non-immigrant "B" visa.

Are you saying that you only need to show a WP3 work permit application receipt as a supporting document when applying for a non-B visa? What about that stack of papers about your employer that you used to have to show?

I assume you will need to fill out an application form, attach a visa-size photo, and pay the fee to get the non-B. Is there anything else, like cash or a bank account, employment contract?

Are you saying that you only need to show a WP3 work permit application receipt as a supporting document when applying for a non-B visa? What about that stack of papers about your employer that you used to have to show? ...

That stack of papers is also needed for the application for a non-B visa.