Kindle Again

Gary A

I showed my Kindle to a friend of mine and he MUST have one ASAP. He said he would pay whatever it cost as long as he gets it quickly. The Read Online Store charges 7,700 baht for the WiFi model. My friend says he doesn't care what it costs.

The question is if this store is reliable. Has anyone bought from this store? Are there other stores in Thailand that may offer a better price?

I bought mine directly from Amazon in the US. I bought another one, previously, and had it shipped over.

The BEST way to get a Kindle is to order directly from Amazon. The price is about 200 US and that included

shipping and Thai Customs Duty. Took about 5 days to get here.

Buy a decent Android Phone and install Kindle reader

http://www.appbrain.com/app/kindle/com.amazon.kindle

You can indeed install a Kindle reader (for free) on an Android phone -- though:

1. you don't get much Android phone for $200 USD.
  2. reading a book on a Kindle (or any other eInk book reader) is a very different experience from reading a book on a 4" LCD screen. You will probably not fully understand until you've tried it.

You can indeed install a Kindle reader (for free) on an Android phone -- though:

2. reading a book on a Kindle (or any other eInk book reader) is a very different experience from reading a book on a 4" LCD screen. You will probably not fully understand until you've tried it.

If I understand correctly, $200 is the cost of Kindle (shipping and Thai Customs Duty included), nothing to do with the price of Android phone. And you're saying that this is NOT a practical solution, i.e. you can't enjoy reading on 4" phone screen.

What about installing a Kindle reader on a netbook?

Can you please elaborate on that.

If I understand correctly, $200 is the cost of Kindle (shipping and Thai Customs Duty included), nothing to do with the price of Android phone. And you're saying that this is NOT a practical solution, i.e. you can't enjoy reading on 4" phone screen.

I'm sorry but you lost me here. If you consider buying a device to read books, how can the price not be a factor? I love my Android, but not everybody have or need a smartphone.

Did you ever try to read a book on your 4" screen on the beach or at the pool? I can not see my HTC Desire's AMOLED screen if I am out in the sun - but regardless of that, even if I am indoor I very much prefer reading the paperlike 6" screen of my Kindle.

Same with any other computing device, including a netbook. It also is a lot less convenient sitting and reading a book with a netbook than with a Kindle due to the weight and form factor.

Anyway, if reading books on your smartphone or your netbook makes you happy, that's fine. I just don't think it compares, that's all.

I have come to the conclusion that touchscreen smart phones and just toys and a waste of money at least for me. My old laptop was pretty heavy so I bought touchscreen smart phone for my last trip to the US. I thought I could get by with it using WiFi to keep up with my emails. Reading my emails wasn't much of a problem as long as I wore my reading glasses. Answering the emails was a bummer. I got irritated enough that I bought an HP Mini netbook. ($300 US) The 10 inch screen is still a little small but the zoom is quite good. The touch screen phone is in a drawer and I bought an E52 Nokia. I love the E52 and the great battery life. Absolutely no more touch screen phones for me.

The little HP Mini has Windows 7 Starter and it does everything I want it to do. Before I got the Kindle I did read E-books on it. It's not as easy on the eyes as the Kindle but it is OK as long as you don't read for hours at a time. The battery life is quite good too. And yes, I do have Calibre installed on the netbook. I like the Calibre reader better than the Kindle reader.

I have tried phones, tablets, laptops, desktop for ebook reading but the Kindle is simply the best I have found. Comfortable for long reads, great screen outside and in decent inside light, looong battery life, storage for thousands of books. Very much recommend that he install Calibre on his desktop for ebook storage, management and to change format if the ebooks he gets are not mobi/Amazon format. Simple sideload from Calibre to Kindle via USB cable (included with Kindle).

I have tried phones, tablets, laptops, desktop for ebook reading but the Kindle is simply the best I have found. Comfortable for long reads, great screen outside and in decent inside light, looong battery life, storage for thousands of books. Very much recommend that he install Calibre on his desktop for ebook storage, management and to change format if the ebooks he gets are not mobi/Amazon format. Simple sideload from Calibre to Kindle via USB cable (included with Kindle).

I agree. Nothing I have seen, beats it. I liked mine so much that I bought one for my wife.

I'm sorry but you lost me here. If you consider buying a device to read books, how can the price not be a factor? I love my Android, but not everybody have or need a smartphone.

Did you ever try to read a book on your 4" screen on the beach or at the pool? I can not see my HTC Desire's AMOLED screen if I am out in the sun - but regardless of that, even if I am indoor I very much prefer reading the paperlike 6" screen of my Kindle.

Same with any other computing device, including a netbook. It also is a lot less convenient sitting and reading a book with a netbook than with a Kindle due to the weight and form factor.

Anyway, if reading books on your smartphone or your netbook makes you happy, that's fine. I just don't think it compares, that's all.

It's not for me, but for my 8-year-old daughter. She is in grade 4, English program. Her school's library isn't that great. The most important thing is to ensure that she will get an enjoyable experience reading books.

I'm trying to find a compromise between a convenience of Kindle (for reading) and a colorful pictures in children books. (there were no such 'problems' when I was a child)

Well if colorful pictures must be seen the Kindle won't cut it as it is black/white only. It really is very specifically designed for reading books, and does that very well.

I guess if I was in your situation I would consider getting a tablet, maybe the Eee Pad Transformer TF101. It's not available in Thailand yet, but another user reported having ordered it online from the US.

Anyone who tells you to buy an iPhone instead of a Kindle or an iPad instead of a Kindle is so hopelessly clueless that they should be ignored, if not flogged. People- what don't you understand about the Kindle? See, there I go ignoring my own advice. Leave them alone for natural selection to do its work...

6.900B at Smartmobile.co.th in Digital Gateway across from Siam. they had it in stock 2 weeks ago. smartmobile.co.th/spec.asp?ProductID=37799

//t

Unfortunately I ordered before I read this post or I would have tried to by it from Smartmobile and saved my friend some baht. As it is, the Kindle was delivered today. Very fast service from the Read Online Store. It did come with a charger.

one thing ye gotta watch with this device...I was so pleased with my new kindle that I forgot to observe basic safety precautions; at work at lunch time I finished my noodles at my desk then settled down stretched between two chairs with my kindle anticipating my usual lunch time nap and yawning below me was a void and ultimately, the regulation hard tile floor...I succumbed to sleep but not before the device slipped from my slumbering hands and crashed onto the merciless tiles and I sprang to my feet to inspect the damage: the joint separated between the face and the back and I coaxed things back into position with some gentle squeezing then did some tests and everything, thankfully was not damaged...

gotta watch out folks...too much pleasure and delight can be a bad thing...:(

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Loved my kindle until a few weeks ago when I took it out from my laptop bag and found the screen frozen at the top half. The bottom half of the screen functions fine, but the top half is stuck on the "screensaver". Was not dropped or jarred at all. After some research this seems to be a pretty common issue. Be careful, they are damaged very easily.

I'm in US now and seriously thinking of buying a Kindle ....DX version (i.e. the larger screen version).

I want to use it mostly for newspapers and magazines.

I understand that the daily newspapers (i.e. Herald Tribune, ect) are delivered daily via Amazon "whispernet" .... which appears to be (I'm not sure) a 3G delivery service with AT&T which Kindle has arranged for various countries around the globe. I'm wondering if this works in Thailand? Bangkok specifically.

My question for you Kindle users is ...... are any of you using the DX version? If so, does Amazon's "whispernet" work in Bangkok?

Otherwise it appears (from what I've read) that I can download directly to my (Mac) computer from Amazon via my usual internet connection and then transfer the daily papers to the Kindle. Is this correct? Anyone using the DX version in Bkk?

thanks

At this point, I would just as soon have a Kindle without any Internet capability. Downloading to your computer and transferring to the Kindle is slick and easy. The Kindle will hold more books than many of us will read in a lifetime so there is no need to download books while you are traveling.

If/when Kindle can come up with a decent browser, I'll reconsider. As it is now, the browser is slow and hangs up often. Some sites won't open at all. Maybe the next generation will have a decent browser. The Kindle is an excellent book reader but Internet browsing leaves much to be desired.

I'm in US now and seriously thinking of buying a Kindle ....DX version (i.e. the larger screen version).

I understand that the daily newspapers (i.e. Herald Tribune, ect) are delivered daily via Amazon "whispernet" .... which appears to be (I'm not sure) a 3G delivery service with AT&T which Kindle has arranged for various countries around the globe. I'm wondering if this works in Thailand? Bangkok specifically.

My question for you Kindle users is ...... are any of you using the DX version? If so, does Amazon's "whispernet" work in Bangkok?

Otherwise it appears (from what I've read) that I can download directly to my (Mac) computer from Amazon via my usual internet connection and then transfer the daily papers to the Kindle. Is this correct? Anyone using the DX version in Bkk?

thanks

Yes "whispernet" seems to work fine also in Thailand. Free even. It will fall back to GPRS/EDGE where 3G is not available but for something like this you probably won't notice the difference.

thanks

Yes "whispernet" seems to work fine also in Thailand. Free even. It will fall back to GPRS/EDGE where 3G is not available but for something like this you probably won't notice the difference.

Thanks!

I also should have done a search. On the other Kindle thread I see where people are having no problems downloading via 3G .... and fall back to GPRS/EDGE when necessary is reassuring. Thanks again! I've already ordered the Kindle DX!!! :P

Edited by rogerdee123

thanks

I have the Kindle DX3 version and "whispernet" works fine in Bangkok and Rayong - the only 2 places I have used it so far. You can buy books online from, say, Amazon and literally within seconds it is downloaded into the Kindle - it does not have to be connected to the Computer of course.

You can also download books into your Computer and then transfer them to the Kindle using the supplied USB Cable if you wish.

I love the Kindle - one of the best toys I have ever bought myself; I have found only 2 problems:

1) It is so easy to buy books online I find I am spending rather more on books than I used to!

2) I am reading far faster than usual simply because the Kindle is so easy to use - turn the page with a single click of a button for example, so I can read while eating lunch etc..

Patrick

Hello!

I am subscribing to IHT,to get it on 3G or Edge - you have to pay special fee for overseas delivery.No need for that!It will come to you on any wi-fi - Starbucks,McDonalds,your home network etc.usually automaticly,sometimes you have to wait little bit.I traveled recently and tested it in ..Laos,China,indonesia - no problem at all,whispernet works like breeze.3G connection I used to surf web,I managed to check web email,like hushmail,I could read tv.More complicated operations like - posting,are tedious.

I have quite recent model,not DX.it is to easy to buy books,but they give you free samples(first chapter) - sometimes it is enough.

regards

Edited by Phil Conners
botched quote fixed

Hello!

I am subscribing to IHT,to get it on 3G or Edge - you have to pay special fee for overseas delivery.No need for that!It will come to you on any wi-fi - Starbucks,McDonalds,your home network etc.usually automaticly,sometimes you have to wait little bit.I traveled recently and tested it in ..Laos,China,indonesia - no problem at all,whispernet works like breeze.3G connection I used to surf web,I managed to check web email,like hushmail,I could read tv.More complicated operations like - posting,are tedious.

I have quite recent model,not DX.it is to easy to buy books,but they give you free samples(first chapter) - sometimes it is enough.

regards

Just to clarify any misunderstanding, the Kindle comes with a "built in" SIM card courtesy of Amazon, i.e. no local ISP subscription is necessary to connect to Whispernet on the Kindle 3G.

I am assuming IHT refer to International Herald Tribune. I think what BabySun is saying is that some subscriptions may charge you extra for the privilege of loading it via whispernet, but I checked Amazon's IHT page and it only listed one price, including Whispernet-delivery so I'm not sure how you'd be able to save anything by getting it over Wifi instead.

Hello!

regards

Just to clarify any misunderstanding, the Kindle comes with a "built in" SIM card courtesy of Amazon, i.e. no local ISP subscription is necessary to connect to Whispernet on the Kindle 3G.

I am assuming IHT refer to International Herald Tribune. I think what BabySun is saying is that some subscriptions may charge you extra for the privilege of loading it via whispernet, but I checked Amazon's IHT page and it only listed one price, including Whispernet-delivery so I'm not sure how you'd be able to save anything by getting it over Wifi instead.

Hello!

What I mean?3G connection is free of course,as well as GPRS/Edge,so surfing is free,purchase on Amazon..and it works fine.

What is not free? is this:

I am quoting now from communication I had received from Kindle/Amazon:

"Receive subscriptions using 3G wireless outside the US for 4.99$ per week"

then they say that it includes 7 days of unlimited delivery of newspapers,magazines and blog subscriptions.

they also say,that "International Subscription Service" is not required to receive your newspapers through wi-fi outside US

They also say,that there is some difference between this 2 ways,on 3G they will not deliver photos and other images;

on wi-fi photos are included.

When you are in USA they deliver through 3G - free of course.If you are unavailable they will archive new issue for you(free)

I am getting Int'l Herald tribune and Economist only.They gave me free trial for 2weeks,now I am after trial.

These IHT and Economist electronic issues are different from paper one,in Zinio you are getting perfect copy of paper issue.

So,again - in my previous post I had used improper name for "International Subscription Service",and it could be confusing.

I use only wi-fi for my newspapers and I consider it good value.

regards