Chiang Mai To Pattaya (And Back)

chiangmaiman99

Hi,

I've taken the Nakhon Chai Air Bus from Chiang Mai to Pattaya (and back) a couple times now .

While I am satisfied with the service I was wondering if anyone can recommend an alternative bus company or another method to get to Pattaya that is better (more comfortable, shorter, more frequent departures/arrival times)

Thanks!

Yes, I've taken a motorbike taxi to get out there, and they are quite inexpensive. But there is also a public bus into town, and it can be researched on the Web.

PS So long as we're sharing, I'd be happy to hear how one gets from the northern bus terminal down to the southern one - located so far east as it is. Those connections in town are often forbidding for me!

Edited by CMX

I discovered by-accident that their VIP-service can be 4-5 hours faster, than their 1st-Class Air-Con one, due to taking the western-route non-stop (except Lampang to collect passengers & meal-boxes) via Ayyuttaya rather than via-P'lock with stops at every minor town's bus-station.

But for some reason there is no day-time premium-bus operated by this company. Surely an 08.00 departure, arriving 20.00-ish in Pattaya, would find some demand, from tourists and residents alike ? And no, I know about but would not use, the (05.30 departure ?) basic-bus they do run.

Alternatively Air-Asia or Bangkok-Air to Swampy, then the blue (public)-bus or Bell-Bus, to Pattaya. Faster but costs more.

Edited by Ricardo

Fly to Suvarnaphumi Airport on any number of flights then take a taxi, it's only an hour or so down the motorway.

Like Bill I fly to Suvarnabhumi, but I take a bus from there to Pattaya. The flight is only around 1800 baht and the bus runs every hour for about 120 baht. It's a pretty cheap trip. The flight takes an hour and the bus ride about 2 hours.

Yes, I've taken a motorbike taxi to get out there, and they are quite inexpensive. But there is also a public bus into town, and it can be researched on the Web.

PS So long as we're sharing, I'd be happy to hear how one gets from the northern bus terminal down to the southern one - located so far east as it is. Those connections in town are often forbidding for me!

Best way between the bus stations is taxi, usually about 130 baht and hang on to your braces, although I did have a lady driver once and she was very careful and drove at sensible speeds. Never seen one since !

Best way between the bus stations is taxi, usually about 130 baht and hang on to your braces, although I did have a lady driver once and she was very careful and drove at sensible speeds. Never seen one since !

Even better way is to take one of the buses that go directly to the Southern bus station in BKK instead of Mo Chit. Sombat Tour has a couple. (also to Hua Hin by the way).

For Pattaya of course you would connect at Mo Chit, the Northern one.

it's good to hear that NCA has a faster / more direct bus to Pattaya; the regular one took Fo-Ev-Va! And then some. Connecting in Mo Chit was way faster than that bus. But good to hear there is a more direct option now.

Best of all: Fly Air Asia to Skankbunny Airport, leaving 8:20 and getting there 9:35, then the 10am Bell Travel bus to Pattaya. Gets you in Patters a little after 11. That's hard to beat.