Big C Closing Down?

Rumor has it that Big C is about to close down, although I don't know when and will be replaced by a 'cash & carry' similar to makro. Anybody heard anything or knows about anything along these lines?

If true, it will be a loss for the island, in my opinion.

Agreed! That would be a big blow. I find it an all round better shopping experience than Tescos. Cleaner, with covered parking etc. I would be rather surprised if it was true.

Edited by nod

I thought that I had read somewhere that they were merging/being taken over by Carrefour.

Carrefour sold all its store in Thailand to Big C..

Carrefour stores are at the moment changing and will be call 'Big C Extra'

Carrefour was indeed mentioned and makes sense now, I didn't know about the merger!

I prefer shopping in Big C to Lotus, the parking is one of the big positives, first of all it's covered and secondly there aren't motorbikes parked everywhere where they shouldn't be parked.

Big C also carries some products that aren't available at Tesco Lotus plus it's not that busy, but this latter statement may be at the core why they possibly may close down. Hope it's just that, a rumor!

I agree better undercover parking and clean and trolleys that work. Only thing pulling people to Lotus is the cinema.

I recall a memeber doing a price check between macro, Big C and tessco. At the time I always split my shopping between the three but when i read that Big C had the over all highest prices i quit doing business there hence price is why i go to tessco.

I agree better undercover parking and clean and trolleys that work. Only thing pulling people to Lotus is the cinema.

I recall a memeber doing a price check between macro, Big C and tessco. At the time I always split my shopping between the three but when i read that Big C had the over all highest prices i quit doing business there hence price is why i go to tessco.

Yo, certainly so!

I have not heard the rumour, but I would not be surprised.

I shop there a lot - much better than Tesco for fresh produce, but the place is always empty.

I agree with Limbos - a loss if it closes!

i big blow to u because no customers make less busy but for business itis very bad.7

tescos has more to offer. not just a store on its own. ihave notice people spend large amounts of time in tescos because of Home pro at the back. games room, bowling ally, cinema.

maybe big c should open a shooting range or something but unless it has more to offer then it will lose to tescos also tesco is a house hold name in th uk people always like to go to well know frnachises. dunno why but they do.

i herd that central might be taking over but am not sure

Shame really. I wa so fond of the KFC. probably the only branch in the world where at midday you ask for that great rarity at a KFC, chicken breast :o and they are all out! The staff looked at me in shock and disbelief that i was somewhat "surprised".

T.I.T

The problem with BigC is that there just arn't enough tailors shops, opticians and pharmacies.

you may be on to something here. perhaps if big c were redesigned as a row of shop houses they'd be able to accommodate the number of tailor shops, opticians and pharmacies necessary to be profitable.

The problem with BigC is that there just arn't enough tailors shops, opticians and pharmacies.

:cheesy::cheesy:

I'm quite suprised some entrepeneur has not opened a bar in there so Hubby could have a pint whilst wifey go's shopping, it would make no money but the owner could then market it at double what he paid for it

and some more than bright person WOULD come along and buy it.

well they do just about everywhere else on Samui.

Not the cinema pulls people to Lotus, it's the cheaper prices plus on top all the other 'attractions' like the cinema, bowling alley and Home Pro.

In Big C the competitor of Fuji, the Zen outlet even had to close shop!

Big C will take a loss just for the branding, profits are made up by more popular stores on the mainland..................rumours...

That's a line of thinking I can appreciate!

Not long ago when the power went down a friend and I went to Big C (at my urging) to use the Internet. It used to be free and fast. Now there is nowhere to plug in a laptop and it doesn't matter because they don't offer Internet more anyway. If business is bad, they just made it worse.

Rather sad for all the employees, of all the stores...

I don't shop Big C much, although there has been a effort to make the lower floor look busier by having more .... well shall we say "junk merchants" but it at least made the place look busier..... Agree very poor lay out and mix of shops...

Tesco does usually have a better selection and prices much the same at all three major out lets (Makro, B.C & Tesco) Because of higher turn over Tesco's produce usually fresher... from my experience.... Bread better too....

BUT I WISH THEY WOULD BRING IN THE TESCO DARK CHOCOLATE more often! :annoyed::D

Big C was supposed to open a "Mini C" on KP about a year or so ago, I believe right across the street from Mini Tesco in Tongsala, KP, but the lot still vacant, so my guess that is not happening either!

• 2 weeks later...

Not long ago when the power went down a friend and I went to Big C (at my urging) to use the Internet. It used to be free and fast. Now there is nowhere to plug in a laptop and it doesn't matter because they don't offer Internet more anyway. If business is bad, they just made it worse.

Was in Big C yesterday and the free WiFi was back on again...... good signal and fast.

Thai friends of mine say the closing down rumour is untrue. Lets hope so.

Rather sad for all the employees, of all the stores...

I don't shop Big C much, although there has been a effort to make the lower floor look busier by having more .... well shall we say "junk merchants" but it at least made the place look busier..... Agree very poor lay out and mix of shops...

Tesco does usually have a better selection and prices much the same at all three major out lets (Makro, B.C & Tesco) Because of higher turn over Tesco's produce usually fresher... from my experience.... Bread better too....

BUT I WISH THEY WOULD BRING IN THE TESCO DARK CHOCOLATE more often! :annoyed::D

Big C was supposed to open a "Mini C" on KP about a year or so ago, I believe right across the street from Mini Tesco in Tongsala, KP, but the lot still vacant, so my guess that is not happening either!

i agree Big C is very close to Tescos so it is in direct compitition with Tescos. Where as Tescos has allot more to offer.

maybe before Tescos was modified and made into 2 stores with home pro and food center and cinma in the middle and bowlong ally. Maybe Big C would have had a chance with the old Tescos.

i hope that Cetral take it over.

They need more entertainment. Not just shops selling the same <deleted> as tescos.

Maybe a proper gym. A shooting range, bowling ally sometimes Tescos is full so there would be a demande. A sizzlers resurant.

as far as bigC's go int thailand it is probably the smallest of the Big C's