Satay Sticks - Malaysian Indonesia Style

mickscottatlanta

Satay is pretty much the same everywhere. Some folks have their own special sauce, but that is the only difference that I can see.... Of course you are talking about Chicken Satay, since most shops in Malaysia and Indonesia don't sell pork :)

Edited by LJW

Try the Thai style, as LJW say's a Satay is pretty much a Satay.

The Thai Sweet Sour cucumbers are awesome..... :rolleyes:

Sure, any recommendations

My favorite is at the Khao Soi shop in Farham... He has been selling there for more than 30 years :)

It is on the main road in the area.

My favorite is at the Khao Soi shop in Farham... He has been selling there for more than 30 years :)

Thanks LJW, I am always happy to give a recommendation a go. Not sure where Farham is though.

You can find satay sticks on the menu of many restaurants around town. Not all have the Malaysian Indonesian style peanut sauce. I sometimes get them at Warorot, but only because that's close to home for me. Also, they have them at the little food market set up on the front steps of Kad Suan Kaew on Thurs, Friday and Saturday evenings. This isn't an item you need to go out of your way to find. Just look around your neighborhood.

I like to add.. that there are restaurants from all over the world in Chiang mai, but no Indonesian restaurant as fas as I know, I find that very strange since Indonesian food is really tastefull and can be very spicy so could do well with Thai aswell.

But if anybody know's an Indonesian restaurant in Chiang mai, please let me know.

Thanks LJW, I am always happy to give a recommendation a go. Not sure where Farham is though.

Farham is on the East side of the river,,, It runs from the Narawat bridge up past the hiway...

The place I suggested is on the road along the river, Charoen Rat Rd, just past Rattana Kosin road. :)

I believe that all of the shops only sell either Pork or beef. I haven't seen chicken Satay in CM. I have found them in the south, but never in the north.

Kalbo, do you really think that tempe or other standard indonesia foods would do well in Thailand let alone Chiang Mai? I don't think that most Thai people would actually enjoy any dishes from Indonesia, they barely enjoy Indian and there just aren't enough foreigners that would make it profitable.

I know a place that sells good chicken satay, here is the map (click to open in google map): The map

The name of the place is Khao Soi Islam. It is inside the soi that runs next to Kalare Night Bazaar. It is one way soi, enter from the Charoen Prathet road.

But there is no beer, since it is a moslem restaturant (no pork and no beer).

I am an Indonesian, and I think this satay is close to Indonesian style of satay, with the absence of sweet black soy sauce.

And yes, there is no Indonesian restaurant in Chiang Mai (I wish there was).

post-62308-0-73894300-1307352640_thumb.p

I believe that all of the shops only sell either Pork or beef. I haven't seen chicken Satay in CM. I have found them in the south, but never in the north.

Kalbo, do you really think that tempe or other standard indonesia foods would do well in Thailand let alone Chiang Mai? I don't think that most Thai people would actually enjoy any dishes from Indonesia, they barely enjoy Indian and there just aren't enough foreigners that would make it profitable.

When we went to Bali there is a nice Thai restaurant there. The wife took them some package sauces so theuy could put them on her meals. I found it very hard to find food that she liked. She is of the mind that if it is not Thai it is not good. She doe's allow that spring rolls and Pizza are OK especialy with pineapple on the Pizza.

Some of the best may actually be Indonesian style as interpreted by the Dutch.. That version then made its way back to Asia as I think it's on the menu at Number 1 Bar, and perhaps other places. It features a nice creamy peanut sauce and bigger chunks of meat, which I think is better than the sweet runny stuff served with tiny slivers of pork that are most common here.

I'm not 100% positive it's still on the menu, will have to check next time I'm there. (Or perhaps someone can confirm)

My experience with chicken/beef/pork satay is the exact opposite, but I have to admit I've never really looked for satay in CM since there are many places to get it. On the west side of town you can get chicken satay on Sirimankalajarn Rd at the big chicken restaurant about 100 meters south of Huay Kaew Road. Also at the Muslim Biryani place just east of the 5-way junction in Santitam. I'm not looking for it but I've never seen pork satay.

I also think many Indonesian foods would sell well in CM, to locals as well as farang. Why would Thais not like Ayam Goreng, Ayam Gulai, Gado Gado, Nasi Goreng, or Mee Goreng? All are similar to Thai dishes with slightly different spicing.

Does anyone knows if there is a place I can buy Sambal, the spicy paste from the Indonesian and Malaysian kitchen? If so I can make my indo/chinees dishes better tasted. I also could organize with pleasure an evening sateh (satay) party for some guests?

Edited by Joop50

Does anyone knows if there is a place I can buy Sambal, the spicy paste from the Indonesian and Malaysian kitchen? If so I can make my indo/chinees dishes better tasted. I also could organize with pleasure an evening sateh (satay) party for some guests?

Sambal is the Malay word for what Thais call Nam Phrik (น้ำพริก). There are many (MANY!) varieties in both Malaysia/Indonesia and Thailand.

Esentially they all involve pounded chillies, but tastes and spiciness vary wildly.

The most basic Sambal is just chillies thrown into a blender (or pounded in a mortar) with salt and some vingar added. Other varieties are fried, and may contain other ingredients.

The Northern Nam Phrik Noom is an example of a local sambal, if you will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambal

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Sambal is the Malay word for what Thais call Nam Phrik (น้ำพริก). There are many (MANY!) varieties in both Malaysia/Indonesia and Thailand.

Esentially they all involve pounded chillies, but tastes and spiciness vary wildly.

The most basic Sambal is just chillies thrown into a blender (or pounded in a mortar) with salt and some vingar added. Other varieties are fried, and may contain other ingredients.

The Northern Nam Phrik Noom is an example of a local sambal, if you will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambal

Thanks Winnie, I will visit the market with my wife again and look for nam phrik.. The alternative is I made it myself. I know there are many varieties even in the sambal ulek there are many.