Work Permit And New Company

Hi,

I have a jewellery manufacturing company in uk but spend around 8 months a year in Thailand.

While i realise i can't work jewellery myself in Thailand as it is occupation restriced to Thais, could i set up a small business here in my thai girlfriends name ?

Also i realise jewelery making and silver/gold work is a restriced occupation but would i be able to get a work permit as a manager to oversee production/marketing if i employed thais to do the actual jewelery manufacture. (i realise i would have to meet the other requirements to apply for a work permit).

my query really being is anything to do with jewellery a restricted occupation or is it just the actual making of it ?

i know in bangkok many of the big jewelery shops/manufacturers have foreigners working there.

Thanks for any advice guys

If your work is directly related to the making of jewelry then a work permit would not be possible as silver and goldsmithing and gem cutting are occupations restricted to Thai nationals. However, assuming you set up a valid Limited Company that met all other requirements then you would be able to get a work permit if your work was strictly management and/or administrative. Additional licenses may be required depending on the company's objective. If you set up your production line here in Thailand then a factory license would be required.

[sunbelt][/sunbelt]