View Talay 2 Cable Internet

BugJackBaron

Just had a quick look at View Talay 2 (B,A) in Jomtien They have now put cable-internet in most apartments. I am interested in how well it works from the perspective of any View Talay resident. Have you noticed an increase in speed over the old wifi system ?

Do they really have enough servers there to give everyone close to the 6MB connection speed promised by 3BB? Of course the real estate agent I talked to said it was good but I would rather trust a resident....

As far as I know it's Sophon "Fibre to the Home". Speeds are from 2 to 10 Meg, depending on how much you pay (400 - 1700/month). The internal distribution is via the TV coax.

Of course in the end it all boils down to how much bandwidth Sophon buy from whoever provides the backbone, and the contention rate they choose to have.

I've had Sophon fiber-cable in View-Talay since January and it's adequate for the price -- 4 Mbps is 690 Baht per month with a free cable-modem if you pay for one year up-front. Installation was 750 Baht and their service personnel are very responsive for the few times they were needed. It's also best to add a Cable-Router, which you can get at TukCom for around 1200, or from Sophon for 2500..

I haven't heard anything about 3BB in View Talay, but have read less than favorable accounts of their service in general on various Internet forums.

If you want the contact information for the Sophon sales/technician, PM me.

It's also best to add a Cable-Router, which you can get at TukCom for around 1200, or from Sophon for 2500..

Only necessary if you have other wireless devices (tablet, phone, laptop) that you want to use the connection with. The little ethernet modem they provide is fine for one PC/laptop. And even if you do have more devices you can always connect your laptop/desktop to the internet via the ethernet modem, and then create a private wireless network from your laptop/desktop for your other devices.

Cost = 0 :)

I've had Sophon fiber-cable in View-Talay since January and it's adequate for the price -- 4 Mbps is 690 Baht per month with a free cable-modem if you pay for one year up-front. Installation was 750 Baht and their service personnel are very responsive for the few times they were needed. It's also best to add a Cable-Router, which you can get at TukCom for around 1200, or from Sophon for 2500..

I haven't heard anything about 3BB in View Talay, but have read less than favorable accounts of their service in general on various Internet forums.

Thanks for the reply. On another thread someone suggested 3BB + cable = no bittorrent. This would be a showstopper for me.rolleyes.gif Is Sophon cableis OK for this though?

I remember as a one night guest in talay 1 a coupe of years ago getting some (rather poor) download speeds via their wifi package so if it works for wifi it probably works for cable too.

Thanks for the reply. On another thread someone suggested 3BB + cable = no bittorrent. This would be a showstopper for me.rolleyes.gif Is Sophon cableis OK for this though?

I remember as a one night guest in talay 1 a couple of years ago getting some (rather poor) download speeds via their wifi package so if it works for wifi it probably works for cable too.

You're mixing a lot of issues here -- I never heard anything good about their wi-fi and I don't even know if they have it anymore. Anything from two years ago is so out of date, that it's not worth mentioning.

I've also never heard anything about 3BB at View-Talay, so my guess would be that your real estate agent was either blowing smoke or didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

From your previous post, it appeared that the agent told you that all units were wired for broadband -- that's simply not true! -- All units are individually owned and it's up to each owner or resident to install whatever broadband service they want.

I download a lot of Torrents and they come in generally very fast with Sophon fiber-cable. Of course, speed depends on the number of available seeders and other peers, if you know anything about Torrent.

I downloaded The Daily Show a couple of hours ago and it took about 10 minutes. At one point, when I checked the download speed it was over 450 Mbps. Sophon claims they don't limit or throttle Torrents and that has also been my experience.

You're mixing a lot of issues here -- I never heard anything good about their wi-fi and I don't even know if they have it anymore.

I've also never heard anything about 3BB at View-Talay,

From your previous post, it appeared that the agent told you that all units were wired for broadband -- that's simply not true! --

Building wifi is always of variable quality as your speed will depend on how many other people are using the connection at the time. In VT2 that could be a lot of people!

You can get 3BB DSL in VT2.

For once an agent was telling the truth! All VT2 units are wired for Sophon cable TV (even if it has been disconnected by the building for non-payment of the maintenance charge) and so they are also wired for Sophon cable internet, by definition. You just have to pay Sophon to put the modem in, and settle any outstanding bills you may have with the building if they have disconnected your unit. Normally Sophon will do it the same day you order it. Also, as it is already in place, you dont actually need to sign up for a full year (though it is much cheaper to do so if you intend using it for that long).