REUTERS Brings Red-Shirt Villages To Light

webfact

It's just about greed.

Yes, the greed of Thaksin, and the greed of the rural population who want the material wealth of the Bangkok population but don't do much about it.

The rural population love him because he gave them some attention and some scraps. At the same time he abused his power by changing laws to benefit his businesses, but can you expect upcountry bumpkins to understand the details of his corruption? All they know and understand are his handouts.

I also wrote 'The big mistake is to assume that you can get away with it forever. The elite have to share the cake out more fairly or suffer the inevitable consequencies. They wont do that of course because their arrogance wont allow them to see what's happening'

You demonstrate this arrogance of the elite perfectly and make my point for me. Thank you.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

about equal wealth distribution : how many people of the north east region pay taxes ?

I guess most come from middle class working people out of Bangkok... normal that they get a big piece of the pie ?

They all pay taxes. Each and every time they make a basic purchase to eat, to have a roof over their heads or to obtain the basic necessities. It's called the VAT. Taxes are collected from the poor via the VAT. Thailand doesn't have a VAT credit program to offset these taxes for the poor. Other countries do. A poor Thai purchasing 200 baht of items at the 7-11 pays the same tax as a wealthy Thai. The opportunities for tax evasion are greater for someone of means than for a subsistence farmer that pays his VAT on farm supplies.

If your intent is to highlight personal income taxes, please note that one has to have income first in order to pay taxes. When a great many of the population has to survive on less than 250 baht a day, there isn't anything to tax.

Please note that on a year base the first 150,000 Baht earned is tax-free. This excludes any deductions (wife, kids in school, etc., etc.) which may make your tax-free bracket 200,000 or more effectively.

There are many villages in Isan were 150,000 Baht a year per person/spouse is a dream. Deductions? These people never have deductions from the over priced land rent when the crop fails as it is a feudal set up. From what you have written you seem to be in a very privileged position that you do not need to worry about money. For these people every single Baht counts.

And they.are.not.citizens, They.are.SUBJECTS.

Thank you for so thoroughly defeating your own argument --- even though I find your new argument even more repugnant and insulting to the majority of Thai people. Thai citizens are, as I said, for the most part both happy and proud to be Thai :)

Thai's are the same as the UK, subjects, not citizens. Not entering into the other part of the discussion but pointing out this single, one, 1, neung fact

about equal wealth distribution : how many people of the north east region pay taxes ?

I guess most come from middle class working people out of Bangkok... normal that they get a big piece of the pie ?

They all pay taxes. Each and every time they make a basic purchase to eat, to have a roof over their heads or to obtain the basic necessities. It's called the VAT. Taxes are collected from the poor via the VAT. Thailand doesn't have a VAT credit program to offset these taxes for the poor. Other countries do. A poor Thai purchasing 200 baht of items at the 7-11 pays the same tax as a wealthy Thai. The opportunities for tax evasion are greater for someone of means than for a subsistence farmer that pays his VAT on farm supplies.

If your intent is to highlight personal income taxes, please note that one has to have income first in order to pay taxes. When a great many of the population has to survive on less than 250 baht a day, there isn't anything to tax.

Please note that on a year base the first 150,000 Baht earned is tax-free. This excludes any deductions (wife, kids in school, etc., etc.) which may make your tax-free bracket 200,000 or more effectively.

:)

Hmmm last time I looked going to a 7-11 was a convenience. The roof isn't taxed by VAT the other basic necessities aren't either. SOME other countries have an offset for sales tax --- MOST do not. Other countries aren't Thailand but when Thailand offers free electricity, and water etc ....

Granted everyone in theory pays an equal tax on beer .........

Please note that many of the basics in Thailand are either officially untaxed or unofficially untaxed. This includes things that would be taxed in other places like prepared food from markets etc.

Thailand offers free electricity and water? Please tell me because I pay quite a lot each month....

Thailand offers free electricity and water? Please tell me because I pay quite a lot each month....

If you "pay a lot" you don't qualify. Yes there is a minimum usage amount and below that Thais don't pay anything. I could actually switch to truly free water as I have a well ... but I think pumping it out of the well would cost as much monthly as I am paying for city water :) (less than 100 baht/mo for my water bill)

Well? What have they done? C'mon, name one thing the puppet government have actually 'done to alleviate the burden of poverty on the poor in this country? c'mon, ONE thing.

The 500B/month old-age pension ?

Subsidies on diesel-fuel ?

Doing-away with the 30B hospital-visit charge ?

Raising the minimum-wage ?

I could go on ... but for some strange reason, some people can't accept that the Democrat-led coalition has been helping the poor, over the past couple of years. There seems a strange (and false) impression that only Thaksin/TRT/PPP/PTP can deliver these sorts of policies. B)

LITTLE more complicated than that. The majority of Thais are simply pig sick of being treated like 'untermenschen'. They are learning that they too are 'Thai subjects;'(not citizens, exactly the same as the wealthy, but with very less 'get out of jail free' options).

Know what? Hope they drag the bugger back in. That should stir things up a bit.

HUH?

The majority of Thais are no such thing ---- a minority of Thais being paid by a corrupt ex-politician on the run from the law could be described the way you suggest though! ....

Most Thai citizens are both happy and proud to be just that. Thai citizens.

I am not sure where you are from JD so you may not be aware that in fact the members of the populace in a monarchy are not citizens but subjects

Well? What have they done? C'mon, name one thing the puppet government have actually 'done to alleviate the burden of poverty on the poor in this country? c'mon, ONE thing.

I could go on ... but for some strange reason, some people can't accept that the Democrat-led coalition has been helping the poor, over the past couple of years. There seems a strange (and false) impression that only Thaksin/TRT/PPP/PTP can deliver these sorts of policies. B)

Ain't politics a bitch. As I said before, it may be too little too late. PTP has them on the run a bit. Will make for a very interesting couple of months I think, but I just cannot see a situation with Yingluck or any other PTP person is PM. The army will never ever let it happen.

Edited by Thai at Heart

If you "pay a lot" you don't qualify. Yes there is a minimum usage amount and below that Thais don't pay anything. I could actually switch to truly free water as I have a well ... but I think pumping it out of the well would cost as much monthly as I am paying for city water :) (less than 100 baht/mo for my water bill)

I can confirm that poorer residents, with very-low useage, in my own village get free electricity. I doubt many farangs will ever qualify, but then why should we, if this is targeted properly at helping the very-poorest ? B)

I quote from the article I posted earlier just to get things on an even keel:

"Abhisit is desperate to change that, promising policies straight out of Thaksin's populist playbook, including a 25 percent increase in the minimum wage, diesel and cooking gas subsidies, and free electricity for the poor. Two years ago he rolled out free healthcare to replace a Thaksin plan in which patients paid just 30 baht (60 pence) a visit."

Half way down the report if you care to read it.

OK thanks for that, what about the free electricity? My a/c could do with a govt subsidy

LITTLE more complicated than that. The majority of Thais are simply pig sick of being treated like 'untermenschen'. They are learning that they too are 'Thai subjects;'(not citizens, exactly the same as the wealthy, but with very less 'get out of jail free' options).

HUH?

The majority of Thais are no such thing ---- a minority of Thais being paid by a corrupt ex-politician on the run from the law could be described the way you suggest though! ....

I am not sure where you are from JD so you may not be aware that in fact the members of the populace in a monarchy are not citizens but subjects

Spot on as I posted about the UK a few comments above. Citizens only come from Republics. Don't you even think about posting things like Comrade, Brother et al or I'll send the wife round! 5 5 5 ha ha ha

Ain't politics a bitch. As I said before, it may be too little too late. PTP has them on the run a bit. Will make for a very interesting couple of months I think, but I just cannot see a situation with Yingluck or any other PTP person is PM. The army will never ever let it happen.

I think the Army is out of it . If anything was learned from the 2006 coup, it was that the Army cannot run the country. They know that themselves. What MAY happen if PTP comes to power is that they will stand aside as the people storm Parliament while PTP tries to get amnesty legislation through. The amnesty will not happen IMO

OK thanks for that, what about the free electricity? My a/c could do with a govt subsidy

Or go work for EGAT. Their offices are always particularly well air conditioned.

If you're using air conditioning you're using too much electricity to qualify for free electricity.

HUH?

Spot on as I posted about the UK a few comments above. Citizens only come from Republics. Don't you even think about posting things like Comrade, Brother et al or I'll send the wife round! 5 5 5 ha ha ha

Even in those republics you speak of, citizens are no longer called citizens. The prior citizens have now been conditioned to consider themselves as "consumers".

There are many villages in Isan were 150,000 Baht a year per person/spouse is a dream. Deductions? These people never have deductions from the over priced land rent when the crop fails as it is a feudal set up. From what you have written you seem to be in a very privileged position that you do not need to worry about money. For these people every single Baht counts.

There are many people working for 200 B/day for whom 150,000 B/year is also a dream. This doesn't mean the tax system is wrong. When villagers suffer from overpriced land rent, the landowners may be guilty of overcharging. Mostly those landowners are 'elite' of the local variety although some have been in Bangkok so long to qualify as BKK elite. There are plans to tax people for large, unused plots of land, but (obviously) there's a very strong resistance by all types of elite.

I must admit not to understand why my explanation on tax bracket and possible deductions has anything to do with my personal circumstances. Let me tell you that the way I've been brought up I value any Baht and will even bow down to pick up a fallen 25 satang. Four of them will give you a Baht, you know <_<

Sorry, but the Thai word translates to citizen, not subject.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/issuesanswers/2004/article759.html

like the Thai embassy, the above article responded to by a government official uses the term citizen as well.

The MFA as well uses the term citizenship.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/showStatic.php?staticid=1048&Qsearch=citizenship

So ... it really doesn't matter how pedantic people WANT to be .. the term citizen is appropriate.

I'm not sure if this article is saying that some kind of segregation is being proposed by some faction of the red shirt movement.

It apparently stops short of saying that but may be implying it. If it were indeed the case that these people officially wanted segregated areas based along political lines (or any other lines for that matter), that would be a very disturbing move on their part.

Well, when you're treated like second class citizens in your own country, the logical idea would be to create your own land and be treated like first class citizens. Not that I agree with it, but it's true.

Absolutely agree, good post!

There seems to be a world wide revolt against corrupt minority government keeping the wealth of the country confined to a few percent of the population.

Thailand's wealth is much too centralised on the Bangkok elite, of course the masses will eventually revolt. Read your history folks!

I fear there is much trouble ahead for Thailand, could even go the way of some Middle Eastern countries of late.

Only democracy will work in this country but the fact is the greedy few will not allow the wealth to be more evenly distributed.

The next 12 months will be critical for Thailand.

Can you please supply me with the name of a country where most of the wealth is not in the hands of a minority?

And if possible, could you also inform me where the worldwide revolt against corrupt minority governments is taking place?

Corruption, so sorry, is a reality, all over the world, in every country, openly or behind doors.

I do not like it, you do not like it, but we are simply unable to do something about it.

The rich & powerfull will never share wealth or power, and a revolt of the poor, read your history, always made the poor poorer and the rich richer.

Democracy nowadays, wherever in the world, has disappeared and is massaged by the big companies.

Parliaments are just there for appearance's sake, for dealing in marginally and cosmetic subjects.

The really important things will be decided by the CEO's of the huge companies that in reality govern most countries.

I think the Army is out of it . If anything was learned from the 2006 coup, it was that the Army cannot run the country. They know that themselves. What MAY happen if PTP comes to power is that they will stand aside as the people storm Parliament while PTP tries to get amnesty legislation through. The amnesty will not happen IMO

I don't agree. They were very very close to coming out during the red shirt protests, particularly when it all started going down burning the city halls up country.

As for believing that they learnt anything from the mess of the last coup. Since when did any supposedly experienced Thai organisation admit that they have ever done anything wrong in the past, let alone an organisation with its own armories. This new bunch will probably see it as a challenge to do it better than the last lot. This is the army, so you are commanded to do it, you don't stand around and answer "but, you know, the last time, all the political scientists of the world said we screwed it up".

Don't underestimate how much some of these people actually despise Thaksin and what they think he may be capable of doing. They are absolutely paranoid about him.

Edited by Thai at Heart

I'm not sure if this article is saying that some kind of segregation is being proposed by some faction of the red shirt movement.

It apparently stops short of saying that but may be implying it. If it were indeed the case that these people officially wanted segregated areas based along political lines (or any other lines for that matter), that would be a very disturbing move on their part.

Well, when you're treated like second class citizens in your own country, the logical idea would be to create your own land and be treated like first class citizens. Not that I agree with it, but it's true.

Absolutely agree, good post!

There seems to be a world wide revolt against corrupt minority government keeping the wealth of the country confined to a few percent of the population.

Thailand's wealth is much too centralised on the Bangkok elite, of course the masses will eventually revolt. Read your history folks!

I fear there is much trouble ahead for Thailand, could even go the way of some Middle Eastern countries of late.

Only democracy will work in this country but the fact is the greedy few will not allow the wealth to be more evenly distributed.

The next 12 months will be critical for Thailand.

Can you please supply me with the name of a country where most of the wealth is not in the hands of a minority?

And if possible, could you also inform me where the worldwide revolt against corrupt minority governments is taking place?

Corruption, so sorry, is a reality, all over the world, in every country, openly or behind doors.

I do not like it, you do not like it, but we are simply unable to do something about it.

The rich & powerfull will never share wealth or power, and a revolt of the poor, read your history, always made the poor poorer and the rich richer.

Democracy nowadays, wherever in the world, has disappeared and is massaged by the big companies.

Parliaments are just there for appearance's sake, for dealing in marginally and cosmetic subjects.

The really important things will be decided by the CEO's of the huge companies that in reality govern most countries.

Amen! :wai:

HUH?

HUH?!

You really should get out more. The ;majority of Thais don't give a rat's about whatever 'law' you believe exists here LOL! And they will take the bribe-to-vote, because they believe it doesn't matter who's snouts are at the trough.

And they.are.not.citizens, They.are.SUBJECTS.

Thank you for so thoroughly defeating your own argument --- even though I find your new argument even more repugnant and insulting to the majority of Thai people. Thai citizens are, as I said, for the most part both happy and proud to be Thai :)

All Thai people are Thai Citizens.

And in as in any kingdom they are all subjects of H.M. the King!

There are many people working for 200 B/day for whom 150,000 B/year is also a dream. This doesn't mean the tax system is wrong. When villagers suffer from overpriced land rent, the landowners may be guilty of overcharging. Mostly those landowners are 'elite' of the local variety although some have been in Bangkok so long to qualify as BKK elite. There are plans to tax people for large, unused plots of land, but (obviously) there's a very strong resistance by all types of elite.

I must admit not to understand why my explanation on tax bracket and possible deductions has anything to do with my personal circumstances. Let me tell you that the way I've been brought up I value any Baht and will even bow down to pick up a fallen 25 satang. Four of them will give you a Baht, you know <_<

Yes my wife and I can count thank you.

They otherwise know absolutely nothing of what Abbhisit, representing the 'old establishment' actually stand for, given that they've been 'in' for two years, and , done sod all. Lots and LOTS of words, but as yet no action. None.

Fact is they vote for the old boss, or stick with the 'new'. Who's done sweet sod all, despite his honeyed words and mile long excuses as to that, in effect, he's been hamstrung by the the 'coalition'/? For TWO years? He had to acquiesce once er, elected. But parliament. Same Taksin's many proxies. Wimp.

I personally loathe him as much as the former incumbent. And I do believe that the, at least .poorer Thais deserve better.

I am sorry that you are unaware of what the dems have accomplished whilst in office .... that doesn't make your claim of "None." There have been threads and discussions on what has been done over the last 2 years ... as well as the censure debates. The thing that is actually true is that the Dems have accomplished more than the PPP governments did :) The PPP only had one thing on its plate (not helping people, and not running the country) and that was whitewashing Thaksin. They failed at even that. The last 2 years have seen the current government managing to actually deal with the impact of the global economic crisis, and minimize the effects of the global downturn on the people of Thailand. They have increased spending upcountry. etc etc etc ....

Strangely the Thai people I know are aware of it ... then again maybe they are just aware :)

Edit --- first 2 lines of the quoted post removed --- re metisdead's post.

Your empty patronising 'that I am unaware ..." is bs.

And your pathetic rejoinder re Abbhist 'running' he country (etc etc etc (sic) ) is just that. Pathetic. Together with your stupid remark re this 'government' 'dealing with the global economic crisis'.

I will name one thing. Instead of paying 1200 baht per kid tuition plus 12 baht a day for lunch plus buying school books and uniforms plus paying "special" fees during the year like it was before Abhisit now tuition is free lunch is free books are free and I get 555 baht per kid for uniforms. Education is the ONLY way the poor are going to advance in thailand and the Abhisit government has gone a long way to provide FREE school. Teach someone to fish and feed them for life. Something that Thaksin should have done if he actually cared about the poor.

"Abhisit is desperate to change that, promising policies straight out of Thaksin's populist playbook, including a 25 percent increase in the minimum wage, diesel and cooking gas subsidies, and free electricity for the poor. Two years ago he rolled out free healthcare to replace a Thaksin plan in which patients paid just 30 baht (60 pence) a visit."

Thanks for that MrChangers, but I was answering krangeek's request to name things the current government "have actually done" already, not commenting about PM-Abhisit's promised-policies for what he might do in-future, if elected again.

Although I note that your quote does also confirm that "Two years ago he rolled out free healthcare" as I had suggested. One can only hope that those who say things like "they've been 'in' for two years, and, done sod all" or "as yet no action. None" will read this, and acknowledge that, in the heat of posting, they got it wrong.

And the report (very interesting ... Thanks ! :) ) does also say "Economists praised Abhisit's government for steering the country out of its first recession in 11 years in 2009 and generating economic growth last year of 7.8% despite the civil unrest". So not so "stupid" then, for jdinasia to talk about the government's "dealing with the impact of the global economic crisis ... on the people of Thailand" ?

I myself suspect that the poor are grateful for whatever help they can get, from whichever party promises & then delivers it, and have often credited former-PM Thaksin's contribution in moving them up the priority-list for all parties. B)

Edited by Ricardo

I think some of the Britts are assuming that Thailand is like the UK. It isn't.

Article 3 of the Thai constitution states so. (If I am not mistaken the UK doesn't have a constitution.

Article 3 of the 2007 Thai Constitution states. (English translation)

Section 3: Sovereign power belongs to the Thai people. The King as head of the state

shall exercise such power through the National Legislative Assembly, Council of

Ministers, courts, other constitutional organizations and state agencies in accordance with

the rule of law

http://www.ect.go.th/english/files/2007-constitution-english%5B1%5D.pdf

This states where sovereign power rests ... which makes Thais citizens.

Note -- this is the official translation into English

Thanks for that MrChangers, but I was answering krangeek's request to name things the current government "have actually done" already, not commenting about PM-Abhisit's promised-policies for what he might do in-future, if elected again.

Although I note that your quote does also confirm that "Two years ago he rolled out free healthcare" as I had suggested. One can only hope that those who say things like "they've been 'in' for two years, and, done sod all" or "as yet no action. None" will read this, and acknowledge that, in the heat of posting, they got it wrong.

And the report (very interesting ... Thanks ! :) ) does also say "Economists praised Abhisit's government for steering the country out of its first recession in 11 years in 2009 and generating economic growth last year of 7.8% despite the civil unrest". So not so "stupid" then, for jdinasia to talk about the government's "dealing with the impact of the global economic crisis ... on the people of Thailand" ?

I myself suspect that the poor are grateful for whatever help they can get, from whichever party promises & then delivers it, and have often credited former-PM Thaksin's contribution in moving them up the priority-list for all parties. B)

Thank you for the reply and I have to agree with you. I do not care who runs the show as long as there is fair play for all, be it within the economic areas or the court of law. Thaskin is not the devil in disguise nor is Abhisit a saint and the sooner people get to grips with this small fact the better. There are under the counter envelopes all over the country as it is the way things get done here, hey Farang deal with it! To the rest of our readers ... Each leader looks after him/her self first then the people. Just ask yourself how many US presidents have not had multi million dollar "Backing" and UK Prime Ministers can live on their salary.

I think some of the Britts are assuming that Thailand is like the UK. It isn't.

Article 3 of the Thai constitution states so. (If I am not mistaken the UK doesn't have a constitution.

British not Britts and British is different from the UK

You are mistaken as the Great Britain and Northern Ireland does have a constitution.

You are mistaken as the Great Britain and Northern Ireland does have a constitution.

They don't have "a constitution".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_the_United_Kingdom

The wiki page pointed to says

"The constitution of the United Kingdom is the set of laws and principles under which the United Kingdom is governed."

This page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_Monarchy

says the last constitution established in the UK was 1688, that was probably when we Dutch allowed William of Orange to hop over to help our friends across the water and in a way be the last to successfully conquer England, even if they asked for it ;)

Edited by rubl