Hundreds Of Tortoises Seized At Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

Hundreds of tortoises seized at Thai airport

BANGKOK, June 11, 2011 (AFP) - Thai authorities have found nearly 400 protected tortoises in unclaimed bags at an airport in Bangkok, an official confirmed on Saturday.

The Indian and Burmese Star tortoises had been in luggage for about 10 days by the time they were found late Friday at Suvarnabhumi airport, said a senior customs official, who declined to be named.

Loading tags suggested they had originally come from Dhaka in Bangladesh, according to the Freeland Foundation, a counter-trafficking organisation, before going to Japan via Bangkok and returning to the Thai capital when they were not collected.

The foundation estimated the tortoises could fetch up to $31,000 on the black market. Out of 370 found, four had died during the journey, it said.

The star tortoise, which is popular in Asia as an exotic pet, is listed under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species and a permit is required to export them.

It is the second large seizure of the creatures in a little over a week and officials believe the same gang was behind both incidents.

"These consecutive seizures highlight the continuing high volume illicit wildlife trade link between South and Southeast Asia... If we can't stop (smugglers), we'll lose these species forever," said Freeland senior programme officer Onkuri Majumdar.

Last September Thailand -- home to some of the world's largest wildlife trafficking operations -- seized more than 1,000 star tortoises that were smuggled into the country on a flight from Bangladesh.

"These beautiful animals are destined for Chatuchak market and would have become the pets of well-to-do people," said the customs official, referring to a huge market in Bangkok notorious for openly selling endangered species.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-06-11

What a joke. :annoyed: He said what? If they cant stop the smugglers :ph34r: they will loose the species forever. Give me a break they let them go last week and the week before. :lock: They paid them and walked out of the airport and officials believe the same gang is behind both incidents. So they know who they are but do nothing. :whistling:

Disgraceful, if the authorities know where these beautiful creatures are sold, they should have closed down this operation a long time ago. As usual, there is probably corruption involved. Incidentally, if there is a danger in these turtles dying if they are transported anywhere else, I'd be happy to adopt one, rather than let them die...hope the rest survive.

Why don't whichsoever muppet Thai 'government' ever do anything about these constant reports of 'illegal' trade in wildlife in this notoriously laissez faire - read don't care unless there's money in it - backwoods. (HA! I don't dispute there's a WORD for 'illegal' here, but rarely acknowledged).

Fact is, albeit there is a minority of those of Thai ethnicity giving a toss but it takes a 'farang' based organisation 'Freeland' to teach the overwhelming majority of the subjects of this country that their rapidly depleting resources, both flora and fauna, will be wiped out of Thailand unless they show they are more civilised and worthy of being called 'an emerging nation'. In the meantime, they are, and always will remain a third world country. With 'Benthzs' (sic).

Edited by krangeek

Tortoise seizures?! The Hu manatee! They had this same problem a few years back during tortoise racing season. Imagine the pressure getting up to those sloth like speeds and then all of the sudden , snap! You just never know.blink.gif

Edited by FOODLOVER

Disgraceful, if the authorities know where these beautiful creatures are sold, they should have closed down this operation a long time ago. As usual, there is probably corruption involved. Incidentally, if there is a danger in these turtles dying if they are transported anywhere else, I'd be happy to adopt one, rather than let them die...hope the rest survive.

yeah close the operation forever will be good and they must know where they dealing is happen????

I seem to recall Chatuchak once had had baby tigers for sale. I remember the crocodiles and baby bears too. Then, as usual nothing was said. Last time I was there it was the old puppies, kittens, reptiles and fish. Didn't see what was once there .... hidden away? I'm sure if you ask the right person you'll be able to get whatever you want.

Some people don't/won't care at all as long as there is some kind of financial reward at the end of the deal.

:angry:

I watched a show on The National Geographic Chanel yesterday regarding this matter. They are trying to stop the illegal animal trade but it's hard to stop. The people selling these animals are on the bottom of the ladder and closing them down just mean another Muppet will start selling them. These gangs runs out of Pattaya and Bangkok. During the show they did arrest 2 different sellers and both wouldn’t say a word where they got the animals from or who there supplier was. They’ve been told to keep there mouths shut or be killed. There was Thai police and westerners involved in the investigation and the Thai police said he has to be careful who he talks to within the police because a lot are paid informants for the gang. The show was called Crime Against Nature: Exotic. Interesting Show.