International Schools

Darkling

Hi folks we are looking to move back to Thailand, my Boys are 8 and 5 years old. They barely speak a word of Thai and certainly can't read or write the language.

We will be based in Sam Phran, Nakhon pathom area. We feel we need an international school for the boys as we dont want to just throw them in to the Thai education system straight away.

Even if its only for a few years. We dont want to have to put them through hours of traveling each day so we are looking for A good school as close to sam phran as possible.

If any one has any info of good and bad schools, we would be greatful for any news.

Your options for true international schools are limited in that area. To be honest, your best bet is International School Bangkok, which is certainly the best school in Thailand in many respects, but also the most expensive. Unfortunately, very few reputable international schools operate in that area. I would recommend my school, but it's simply much too far away.

Your options for true international schools are limited in that area. To be honest, your best bet is International School Bangkok, which is certainly the best school in Thailand in many respects, but also the most expensive. Unfortunately, very few reputable international schools operate in that area. I would recommend my school, but it's simply much too far away.

Edited by champken

quote ....Much too far away ? and you teach at an International School?..and i am definitely not a grammar freak, but.........

-------------------------

i do hope CHAMPKEN would realize that the teacher is not writing a thesis or any kind of formal response here in thaivisa....

he uses the daily conversational english which is apparent and i think, is also acceptable all around.

if you ever think that his grammatical errors were intolerable.... mine would be unimaginable.... would it not? LOL :lol: cheers

Edited by vont

I'm unsure what you originally posted, as you have since edited the post. However, I would certainly like to have an explanation as to how "much too far away" contains any errors, as I certainly don't see one, and it is a common expression in American English. Incidentally, my undergraduate degree is in English (with specializations in linguistics and grammar), and I have a M.Ed. in International Teaching. If we do get into a grammar war, I could certainly criticize your response just as easily:

• "and you teach at an International School?" : First letter of sentence not capitalized; international school should not be capitalized unless it refers to a specific school
  • "and i am definitely...": "i" not capitalized
  • Improper use of punctuation throughout the entire response

I'm unsure what you originally posted, as you have since edited the post. However, I would certainly like to have an explanation as to how "much too far away" contains any errors, as I certainly don't see one, and it is a common expression in American English. Incidentally, my undergraduate degree is in English (with specializations in linguistics and grammar), and I have a M.Ed. in International Teaching. If we do get into a grammar war, I could certainly criticize your response just as easily:

• "and you teach at an International School?" : First letter of sentence not capitalized; international school should not be capitalized unless it refers to a specific school
  • "and i am definitely...": "i" not capitalized
  • Improper use of punctuation throughout the entire response

'Kuruzovich', 'Kuruzovich'.... dearly

i am entirely on your side man.... defending you til death.... LOL :lol:

did you not realize that the quote appearing above my response was taken from another poster by the name of champken....? :unsure:

quote ....Much too far away ? and you teach at an International School?..and i am definitely not a grammar freak, but.........

and my answer to his post was as follows:

i do hope CHAMPKEN would realize that the teacher <which is you, my dearly> is not writing a thesis or any kind of formal response here in thaivisa....

he <which is you again> uses the daily conversational english which is apparent and i think, is also acceptable all around.

if you ever think that his grammatical errors were intolerable.... mine <that is my humble self writing> would be unimaginable.... would it not? LOL :lol: cheers

see.... everything is directed to our thaivisa comrade.... champken.... and not at you at all.... :D

do you feel better now....?

regardless.... you could have easily finished at kennedy.... which if you did as grandpa said....

you would not have to work your tail off inside a small box, like 90%+ of the population do....

you could have easily qualified to work outside of the box with liberty and freedom with unmatched 15k usd per month, 20d/m, 5hr/d...

more importantly, you do not have to follow anyone's silly dilly rules as you so obediently learned, and remembered to follow.... and also so eloquently stated about gramma, capitalization, punctuation and all....

all these things you mentioned are absolutely necessary, if you wish to have the privilege to work inside a box and have an ordinary 9-5 jobs....

look at your boss, does she have to do and behave like you do....? does she or doesn't she....?

and the answer is exactly the answer from me to you.... learn to think.... and more importantly leap outside that box of yours, regardless of its size that confines you inside.... cheers.... B)

and when you do get outside of your box.... whenever.... i'll buy you and yours an exotic thai lunch.... alright? :jap: :jap: :jap: three cheers

Don't worry, Vont! I perfectly understood that it was "Champken" to whom I was responding; I should have included his name. Regardless, thank you for your comments.

'Kuruzovich', 'Kuruzovich'.... dearly

i am entirely on your side man.... defending you til death.... LOL :lol:

did you not realize that the quote appearing above my response was taken from another poster by the name of champken....? :unsure:

and my answer to his post was as follows:

i do hope CHAMPKEN would realize that the teacher <which is you, my dearly> is not writing a thesis or any kind of formal response here in thaivisa....

he <which is you again> uses the daily conversational english which is apparent and i think, is also acceptable all around.

if you ever think that his grammatical errors were intolerable.... mine <that is my humble self writing> would be unimaginable.... would it not? LOL :lol: cheers

see.... everything is directed to our thaivisa comrade.... champken.... and not at you at all.... :D

do you feel better now....?

regardless.... you could have easily finished at kennedy.... which if you did as grandpa said....

you would not have to work your tail off inside a small box, like 90%+ of the population do....

you could have easily qualified to work outside of the box with liberty and freedom with unmatched 15k usd per month, 20d/m, 5hr/d...

more importantly, you do not have to follow anyone's silly dilly rules as you so obediently learned, and remembered to follow.... and also so eloquently stated about gramma, capitalization, punctuation and all....

all these things you mentioned are absolutely necessary, if you wish to have the privilege to work inside a box and have an ordinary 9-5 jobs....

look at your boss, does she have to do and behave like you do....? does she or doesn't she....?

and the answer is exactly the answer from me to you.... learn to think.... and more importantly leap outside that box of yours, regardless of its size that confines you inside.... cheers.... B)

and when you do get outside of your box.... whenever.... i'll buy you and yours an exotic thai lunch.... alright? :jap: :jap: :jap: three cheers

Kuruzovich, i do apologise for my clearly out of order earlier comment, (must of been the beer i consumed earlier that evening)....and you are streets ahead of me in grammatical terms and probably everything else to do with written English, in my defence, i did delete the comment almost immediately once i had realised my error, but once again i apologise.

I have a two and a half year old child here in Thailand and am currently looking at what options are available to me concerning his future education, and some of what i have found out about so called English teachers and some schools in general has given me a suspicious attitude towards anybody involved in education here, its a minefield out there

Kuruzovich, i do apologise for my clearly out of order earlier comment, (must of been the beer i consumed earlier that evening)....and you are streets ahead of me in grammatical terms and probably everything else to do with written English, in my defence, i did delete the comment almost immediately once i had realised my error, but once again i apologise.

I have a two and a half year old child here in Thailand and am currently looking at what options are available to me concerning his future education, and some of what i have found out about so called English teachers and some schools in general has given me a suspicious attitude towards anybody involved in education here, its a minefield out there

champken....

you are another man of honors....

my total respect and adulation as well....

hope you find the school you set your heart on for your son, a little lucky fellow now, aren't he?

but if i were you, i would not follow the trend in thailand.

rather i would keep my kid with me til he is about four or so, preferably around five or six, before i would send him out to a school....

whatever he would learn in school at three or so can never be able to replace what he could learn from mom and dad at home at that very tender age....

why allow strangers-teachers, some aren't even duly qualified nor certified according to western educational requirements and standards, to teach or mold your kids....

at that tender age bracket, they are most susceptible to ideas and practices and habits.... that may or may not be acceptable to us farang....

anyway, you do what you wish and what you consider is best for your boy.... ok? wishing you and family the best.... :jap: :jap: :jap:

another option to consider is boarding at an International school. BIS in Phuket has boarding and many kids are form Bangkok whose parents don't want them in the big city.

Tuition for ur age kids is about 400,000/year PLUS food and boarding runs about 20,000/month

champken!! save ur $$, put him in a Thai school half day till he is 4 and then keep him in a Thai school or bilingual school till he is 6-8 and save some $$$

I appreciate that, and I did not really take offense. Based on my own experiences in Thailand, I can fully understand the suspicions you may have of many instructors. However, I do know that the majority of top mid-tier and top-tier international schools--including my own--tend to hire only certified instructors, typically with strong backgrounds in their subject areas. If you are looking for a good school within a particular budget, I did create a downloadable list of international schools and their approximate tuition costs in this post. Good luck in your search!

"...but if i were you, i would not follow the trend in thailand.

rather i would keep my kid with me til he is about four or so, preferably around five or six, before i would send him out to a school....

whatever he would learn in school at three or so can never be able to replace what he could learn from mom and dad at home at that very tender age....

why allow strangers-teachers, some aren't even duly qualified nor certified according to western educational requirements and standards, to teach or mold your kids....

at that tender age bracket, they are most susceptible to ideas and practices and habits.... that may or may not be acceptable to us farang..."

A good point - however, having kids in school at a young age teaches social skills.

In Thailand getting used to homework and learning to read at a young age is something - probably good - I think...

So assuming the school is a good one early education is probably the best way to go..

I appreciate that, and I did not really take offense. Based on my own experiences in Thailand, I can fully understand the suspicions you may have of many instructors. However, I do know that the majority of top mid-tier and top-tier international schools--including my own--tend to hire only certified instructors, typically with strong backgrounds in their subject areas. If you are looking for a good school within a particular budget, I did create a downloadable list of international schools and their approximate tuition costs in this post. Good luck in your search!

I did indeed look at that list you provided with approximate tuition costs and to put it simply i just could not afford to send my son to an international school and as i intend to raise my son in Thailand i am not even sure whether an International school is the best option for him even if i could afford it.

So i am looking at good bilingual schools or possibly even a good Thai private school that also includes an english program, i would also hope that with him being around me so much that his english should be better than most thai kids and of course i can help him along with that.