Bake And Bite Vs Butter Is Better

cheshiregent

im a big fan of bake and bite but learnt that the shop near pantip plaza had closed i use the other one normally

but a new shop had opened in its place think its called butter is better or something along those lines so me and a friend went to try it out

they only had one french bagget left so being a gent lol i let my friend have it so i looked around and spotted a small white loaf 45 bht small 85 bht large

so i picked one up thinking buy the size of it was a small and was shocked to find that she wanted 85 bht for this

the same thing in bake and bite is half the price and i love bread so i know a good loaf when i eat one and they are very good

am i being an old fart thinking that thats expensive iv lived here for years so not sure the price of bread in the uk anymore

but seems steep to me ? i say if you have not tried bake and bite yet and you like bread cakes and so on go take a look they have a coffee shop as well

well worth a visit sorry if this has been covered before but i think credit were credit is due

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To judge from cheshiregent’s endorsements, he’s a big fan of pastries and cakes made with margarine and Crisco(white vegetable fat) and other trans fats. I’m not faulting him for that. He has plenty of company. In fact, most cakes and pastries made not just here in Thailand but around the world, are made with those ingredients instead of butter and cream. And if there is any truth in the notion of the wisdom of the crowds, cheshiregent is clearly in the right of it. Just the same we prefer to persist in error. So we will continue using sweet butter, fresh cream, real eggs, and genuine vanilla in our cakes and pastries. Lovers of trans fats, steer clear of us. Consider yourselves warned.

As for breads, what is heavy to one person may be light to another. Our breads may seem heavy to say, someone who likes bread that is 10 parts air to 1 part solid. Again, that’s most of the world. But in Central and Eastern Europe our breads might even be considered a little light. Of course, we do, on occasion make a genuine German sourdough rye that’s 70% rye and comes pretty close in consistency to a brick. German people tells us it reminds them of the bread their grandmas made. Maybe their grandmas also whipped them and locked them in the root cellar. But they mostly seem quite pleased when they tell us this. In fact, the majority of our most enthusiastic customers are Europeans. Or Americans from ethnic enclaves on either the East or West coast.

Maybe that’s because we use unbleached flour in our white breads. Or when we call our bread whole wheat, it really is 100% whole wheat. Not just 20 or 30 percent whole wheat which is mostly what is sold here. Or that most of our breads are allowed to rise slowly overnight which develops their flavor. Or that we don’t use stabilizers and “improvers”. Or maybe our customers just don’t appreciate the taste of empty space surrounded by cheap bleached flour, which is what most local breads consist of. Who can tell? Perhaps cheshiregent can persuade them of the error of their ways. But I wouldn’t bet on it.

To me, the bakery items at Butter Is Better are clearly a big step up from Bake & Bite. For the meals, I'd call the breakfast foods a draw unless you're from tthe east coast of the US and going through serious withdrawal from the absence of food such as cheese blintzes, scrapple, and fluffernutters (in that case Butter Is Better comes out on top). For lunches, I don't really care for either of them but especially not Bake & Bite. In both cases I find their lunch foods to be pretty bland, and in the case of Butter Is Better I think that their lunch food is far too health to be consistent with their newly adopted East Coast Diner theme. I don't think that they have a single lunch meal that tops 3000 calories.

To judge from cheshiregent's endorsements, he's a big fan of pastries and cakes made with margarine and Crisco(white vegetable fat) and other trans fats. I'm not faulting him for that. He has plenty of company. In fact, most cakes and pastries made not just here in Thailand but around the world, are made with those ingredients instead of butter and cream. And if there is any truth in the notion of the wisdom of the crowds, cheshiregent is clearly in the right of it. Just the same we prefer to persist in error. So we will continue using sweet butter, fresh cream, real eggs, and genuine vanilla in our cakes and pastries. Lovers of trans fats, steer clear of us. Consider yourselves warned.

As for breads, what is heavy to one person may be light to another. Our breads may seem heavy to say, someone who likes bread that is 10 parts air to 1 part solid. Again, that's most of the world. But in Central and Eastern Europe our breads might even be considered a little light. Of course, we do, on occasion make a genuine German sourdough rye that's 70% rye and comes pretty close in consistency to a brick. German people tells us it reminds them of the bread their grandmas made. Maybe their grandmas also whipped them and locked them in the root cellar. But they mostly seem quite pleased when they tell us this. In fact, the majority of our most enthusiastic customers are Europeans. Or Americans from ethnic enclaves on either the East or West coast.

Maybe that's because we use unbleached flour in our white breads. Or when we call our bread whole wheat, it really is 100% whole wheat. Not just 20 or 30 percent whole wheat which is mostly what is sold here. Or that most of our breads are allowed to rise slowly overnight which develops their flavor. Or that we don't use stabilizers and "improvers". Or maybe our customers just don't appreciate the taste of empty space surrounded by cheap bleached flour, which is what most local breads consist of. Who can tell? Perhaps cheshiregent can persuade them of the error of their ways. But I wouldn't bet on it.

That was a pretty cute reply! Being a fan of natural (even if fattening!) ingredients, and having lived in countries with absolutely lousy pastries and bread being all that's on offer, this establishment is going to be one of my first stops when we arrive in CM next week.

It doesn't hurt that my daughter says your food is delicious and you're very friendly and kind. :)

This is just one of the many posts on this CM Forum that has my mouth watering with all the wonderful things we can't find where we've been living - curries, BBQ, good Japanese and Indian food, and now, delicious breads and pastries. I'm rather anxious to arrive!

The 100% whole wheat bread is a bargain at 85, as far as I'm concerned. Great developed flavors and well substantial enough to feed me for a while. Good bread's in short supply in CM, in my opinion, but I go out of my way to pick up a loaf at Rimping from Butter is Butter pretty often.

To judge from cheshiregent's endorsements, he's a big fan of pastries and cakes made with margarine and Crisco(white vegetable fat) and other trans fats. I'm not faulting him for that. He has plenty of company. In fact, most cakes and pastries made not just here in Thailand but around the world, are made with those ingredients instead of butter and cream. And if there is any truth in the notion of the wisdom of the crowds, cheshiregent is clearly in the right of it. Just the same we prefer to persist in error. So we will continue using sweet butter, fresh cream, real eggs, and genuine vanilla in our cakes and pastries. Lovers of trans fats, steer clear of us. Consider yourselves warned.

As for breads, what is heavy to one person may be light to another. Our breads may seem heavy to say, someone who likes bread that is 10 parts air to 1 part solid. Again, that's most of the world. But in Central and Eastern Europe our breads might even be considered a little light. Of course, we do, on occasion make a genuine German sourdough rye that's 70% rye and comes pretty close in consistency to a brick. German people tells us it reminds them of the bread their grandmas made. Maybe their grandmas also whipped them and locked them in the root cellar. But they mostly seem quite pleased when they tell us this. In fact, the majority of our most enthusiastic customers are Europeans. Or Americans from ethnic enclaves on either the East or West coast.

Maybe that's because we use unbleached flour in our white breads. Or when we call our bread whole wheat, it really is 100% whole wheat. Not just 20 or 30 percent whole wheat which is mostly what is sold here. Or that most of our breads are allowed to rise slowly overnight which develops their flavor. Or that we don't use stabilizers and "improvers". Or maybe our customers just don't appreciate the taste of empty space surrounded by cheap bleached flour, which is what most local breads consist of. Who can tell? Perhaps cheshiregent can persuade them of the error of their ways. But I wouldn't bet on it.

That was a pretty cute reply! Being a fan of natural (even if fattening!) ingredients, and having lived in countries with absolutely lousy pastries and bread being all that's on offer, this establishment is going to be one of my first stops when we arrive in CM next week.

It doesn't hurt that my daughter says your food is delicious and you're very friendly and kind. :)

This is just one of the many posts on this CM Forum that has my mouth watering with all the wonderful things we can't find where we've been living - curries, BBQ, good Japanese and Indian food, and now, delicious breads and pastries. I'm rather anxious to arrive!

I like both places .....

What I really like is Butter is Better's excellent reply.

I like both places .....

What I really like is Butter is Better's excellent reply.

I like both places too. I always buy bread from Butter is Better. It's the best I've found here. I like the turkey sandwiches at Bake and Bite.

KayCee, don't hold your breath for good Indian food. There are some O.K. places here, nothing great.

We always dine a Butter is Better after the Expats Club meetings. Back when Bake n Bite was there, I always ordered their turkey sandwich and just loved it. I really miss it, but agree the baked goods are better at Butter is Better. What I'd really love is a sandwich made with the turkey and gravy from Bake n Bite on bread from Butter is Better. Butter is Better's open-face chicken sandwich comes close, but what could be more all-American than turkey?

If you're talking about the 100% whole wheat or other bread yes 85 baht is may be a bit expensive but consider the ingredient they use which are more costly than average white flour (I guess they might use the import indian Atta mix with whole wheat flour to make them softer) I make mutimalt loaf at home and if I try to sell them it will be over a hundred baht per loaf.

Oh dear.. Now I have to comment..

I'll take everyone's word about the bread.. We don't really eat bread, so can't comment on that.

I like the new diner theme. Clean, crisp and unpretentious looking, very nice.

I like the simple snack foods; can't go wrong with the hot dog and burger which are incredibly authentic.

Last visit not too long ago I made the mistake (again) of ordering something other than a burger or similar. It was terrible. It also happened to be the dish ordered for my wife, who already didn't like the place after our first visit. Finally got her to give it another chance. But that one dish pretty much sealed it; I just know this was our last visit to Butter Better.

We both like Bake & Bite; it's a little out of the way in the new location, but when we're in the area it's a solid choice for lunch.

To me, the bakery items at Butter Is Better are clearly a big step up from Bake & Bite. For the meals, I'd call the breakfast foods a draw unless you're from tthe east coast of the US and going through serious withdrawal from the absence of food such as cheese blintzes, scrapple, and fluffernutters (in that case Butter Is Better comes out on top). For lunches, I don't really care for either of them but especially not Bake & Bite. In both cases I find their lunch foods to be pretty bland, and in the case of Butter Is Better I think that their lunch food is far too health to be consistent with their newly adopted East Coast Diner theme. I don't think that they have a single lunch meal that tops 3000 calories.

I haven't been to Butter is Better since they remodeled, so I can't comment on the decor. I'm a breakfast fan and wouldn't do either for lunch myself either. After 3 trips to Butter is Better, I'll give the nod to BAKE & BITE. imho, Bake & Bite's eggs, breakfast meats, and potato pancakes are all far superior. (Sure, butter is better might have some "east coast of the US" specialties, but as a native NY'er I've never seen scrapple or fluffernutter on a menu in NYC.) They both have great pastries. But the biggest difference is the incredibly friendly owner and staff at both locations of Bake & Bite. imho, butter is better could take lessons there.

Posted 57 minutes ago

i wanted to post a pic and opinion of butter is better today

but thai visas stil not uploading pics or showing pics on line

Edited by Maestro
Deleted filth.

I see, so no. You did not post in forum support just randomly some place in expectations that your posts would be seen. Well, if you would like to post in forum support as requested then the issue can be addressed in the proper place rather than hijacking someone elses thread. cheers.

sbk.. re ,,, just randomly some place in expectations that your posts would be seen

YES and i repeat YES ... someones listening ... at last

and i will continue to do so until the problem is sorted or im given a : holliday : .. your choice !

ive reported the piss poor quality of thai vias uploading of pics many .. many .. many times over the last few months and ive lost all interest in " forum support "

if you / the management cant sort the problem and i cant post an honest opinion of something and a pic.

i will no longer interested in being an active member of thai visa

regards sbk .. dave2

ive reported the piss poor quality of thai vias uploading of pics many .. many .. many times over the last few months and ive lost all interest in " forum support "

Curious as looking at your posting history shows many photos uploaded by you with no problems, the last one only two days ago..

Also, you might want to scale the photos down to no more than 800-1000 pixels wide as uploading large files have more chance of failing to upload due to network traffic delays.

Suggest you start a forum support topic rather than continuing taking other topics off track. That way we can see if other members are experiencing the same issue. So far, I've not noticed any other complaints regarding this issue.

I haven't been to Butter is Better since they remodeled, so I can't comment on the decor. I'm a breakfast fan and wouldn't do either for lunch myself either. After 3 trips to Butter is Better, I'll give the nod to BAKE & BITE. imho, Bake & Bite's eggs, breakfast meats, and potato pancakes are all far superior. (Sure, butter is better might have some "east coast of the US" specialties, but as a native NY'er I've never seen scrapple or fluffernutter on a menu in NYC.) They both have great pastries. But the biggest difference is the incredibly friendly owner and staff at both locations of Bake & Bite. imho, butter is better could take lessons there.

Guess that's right about the EC menu items. I don't think that I ever saw flufffernutters on the menu at any other restaurant anywhere, let alone in NYC. That's something that parents feed their kids for lunch when they run out of money at the end of the month, not something you order at a restaurant. And scrapple, yea, that's more a Pennsylavnia thing than and east cost thing per se.

Edited by OriginalPoster

I'll take everyone's word about the bread.. We don't really eat bread, so can't comment on that.

I like the simple snack foods; can't go wrong with the hot dog and burger which are incredibly authentic.

Last visit not too long ago I made the mistake (again) of ordering something other than a burger or similar. It was terrible. It also happened to be the dish ordered for my wife, who already didn't like the place after our first visit. Finally got her to give it another chance. But that one dish pretty much sealed it; I just know this was our last visit to Butter Better.

We both like Bake & Bite; it's a little out of the way in the new location, but when we're in the area it's a solid choice for lunch.

When we first opened our restaurant, Winnie-the-kwai chimedin some discussion or other with some unusually ill-founded advice about how toprice food at our restaurant. Which iswhy I still remember it. Basically heproposed treating food like a commodity. i.c. bacon is bacon no matter what the quality and there should be oneprice at any restaurent. I pointed outthe wrongheadedness of such advice with the phrase “ Mr Kwai believes in themagic of the marketplace. whereas believe in the science of the marketplace.” Uncharacerically for this gentleman, not apeep was heard from him afterwards on that thread. Since then, he has, on occasion, taken theopportunity to slam us on completely unrelated threads as well as now, on thisone. It is bizarre.

Guess that's right about the EC menu items. I don't think that I ever saw flufffernutters on the menu at any other restaurant anywhere, let alone in NYC. That's something that parents feed their kids for lunch when they run out of money at the end of the month, not something you order at a restaurant. And scrapple, yea, that's more a Pennsylavnia thing than and east cost thing per se.

Wow! You must have come from some really hoity-toity family. I bet you had running water in your house and probably one of those talking boxes with moving pictures in it. In the lean-to I was raised in, fluffernutter sandwiches was what pa would bring home on payday.

Unfortunately, I was pretty much the only customer for our fluffernutters, even though they were made with homemade peanut butter and homemade marshmallow crème and homemade bread. Who knew that our clientele was mostly the children of lords and ladies? Anyway, we stopped offering it. Occasionally I do make a tiny batch and offer to my parents via our spirit house. Whenever I can find Wonder Bread.

Alot of issues to touch on here....

Wouldn't quite call Whinnie's thing a slam as much as a missed opportunity or an interesting quality control issue that both parties should pursue privately ! (what was the disappointing menu item ??) I'm sure something needs getting in line between recipes and portioning (Butter), or expectations n understandings (Whinnie n Co).

As a former - mostly due to proximity issues - Bake n Bite customer, I find them super friendly with very middle-of-the-road food. Not super good, and def not bad. But very bland. And def cooked by Thais for Farang, so it has an extra blandness that is thought to be necessary for us, even in cases where our food can subtly have well developed, if not 'saep' flavor. If I was in the area, I wouldn't hesitate to meet with a friend there n eat a piece of pie or cake again. I find their baked goods to be just fine - not outstanding, but they do the trick.

Butter is Better works very hard n has had alot of hype recently. They try hard, n mostly do a solid job. The hot dogs impressed the heck out of me. Some of the quirkier things, like yeah.... scrapple. Who's really into that ?! But that's also part of the B is B charm - the owners' quirkiness in particular likes and pursuits. It's not always the wisest menu move, but some weird thing can turn out to be a great hit sometimes, so you never know. Their real German rye... it can double for a doorstop, and one small piece can prep you for a night of drinking or help sober you up after. Their mixed (7?)grain bread rocks ! And most others observe, their baked good are pretty darn good as they love to eat n make nice things, maybe more than they think about numbers n prices.

Overall, I would give both B n B and B is B marks for having some things that are more worth buying for flavor and (perceived) money value over others. It's like this in nearly any place you dine. SOme things make you feel like you're getting away with something, others make you feel like they're making a handsome profit off of you. And personally, the B is B chocolate torte freezes well and is one of those household staples that always makes me feel like I'm winning.

I’m surprised to read this. For us the sine qua non for staff is that they be friendly. Not afraid of farangs. And enjoy engaging in chitchat with the customers. We often get customers who tell us that they like the food at X, Y or Z but the staff isn’t friendly like at our place. As for the owners, modesty forbids any direct comments from us, but I will quote a post from someone in this very thread “It doesn't hurt that my daughter says your food is delicious and you're very friendly and kind.</SPAN>

I like both places.

Before Bake and Bite moved I ate there often and I eat at Butter is Better at least once a day. Bake and Bite is in an inconvenient location for me now, so do not bother unless I happen to be near one of their shops.

My impression is that Bake and Bite is more worried about providing a tasty product at a reasonable cost where Butter is Better is more concerned with top quality and dam_n the price. That being said, I still think that Butter is Better is not expensive for what you get. Most of their bakery goods are as good as a decent bakery in a major Western city and less expensive despite having to pay for imported ingredients. Most of their baked stuff is better than any bakery that I have been to in Bangkok and cheaper.

Breakfast at both places is great although I like the potato choices better at Bake and Bite and the portions are huge. Butter is Better offers some unusual items like scrapple and the Elvis Sandwich (peanut butter, bacon and bananas), which I like from time to time and their sticky buns and cheese danishes are to die for.

I love the turkey sandwiches at Bake and Bite and they used to do a tuna salad with crushed walnuts that was excellent too. Butter is Better has some wonderful sandwiches, that taste just like at home, including their chicken salad and tuna salad which is exactly right. Most of their soups are really good too and that is unusual for Western restaurants in Chiang Mai.

Someone complained about not liking certain items on the menu, but I find this in even the best restaurants back home. Everyone does not like the same things done the same way.

I find the owners and staff in both places to be very helpful and friendly and am glad that we are finally getting such good restaurant choices in CM.

I like Bake n' Bite for their pancakes and muffins... I like Butter is better for their sandwiches, chocolate chip cookies, and their delicious brownies. I think I was the originator of brownies in Chiang Mai (1993), when I made and sold them at CMU, restaurants, and shops... But Butter is better has taken brownies to a new and delicious level :)

i wanted to post a pic and opinion of butter is better today

but thai visas stil not uploading pics or showing pics on line

Your pictures tend to be very large. Are you sure you're not just out of space? Suggest to resize to 640x480 or similar.

Edited by Maestro
Deleted filth.

When we first opened our restaurant, Winnie-the-kwai chimedin some discussion or other with some unusually ill-founded advice about how toprice food at our restaurant. Which iswhy I still remember it. Basically heproposed treating food like a commodity. i.c. bacon is bacon no matter what the quality and there should be oneprice at any restaurent. I pointed outthe wrongheadedness of such advice with the phrase " Mr Kwai believes in themagic of the marketplace. whereas believe in the science of the marketplace." Uncharacerically for this gentleman, not apeep was heard from him afterwards on that thread. Since then, he has, on occasion, taken theopportunity to slam us on completely unrelated threads as well as now, on thisone. It is bizarre.

Probably because I didn't see it; I don't recall reading that response.

The post quoted above is not completely unrelated. I resisted posting after my last (and final) visit because there's not much point in voicing criticism unless I am expecting to visit again and hoping for an improvement. But now that a topic was opened on the very same topic of your restaurant, I felt it appropriate to add my recent experience. This is not a 'slam', it's a customer testimonial in which I went to great lengths to highlight the positives, as you can see from re-reading my post, quoted above.

Instead of taking it as constructive criticism and investigating the issue further you launch into a tirade dragging up a post from probably over a year ago and calling my posts "bizarre"; didn't know you held grudges. But up to you, it's your place, you know best.

"am i being an old fart thinking that thats expensive iv lived here for years so not sure the price of bread in the uk anymore"

The answer to your question is....YES. I checked with friends in the US and a loaf of Wonderbread (puffed air in a bag) is 90 baht. Butter is Better is striving to provide quality and to give expats and Thais a taste of western food. Fluffernutter was NEVER on the menu. It was on the specials board for a short time months ago. The bakery does not sell french bread..it's Italian.

They have come here and are trying to make a contribution to the community. What contribution have most of you made other than sitting at your computer and criticizing everyone and everything? Please list your business so we can go in and review it.

I for one am grateful for a taste of home and congratulate them on their attempts. The reason these things are not common is because it's very difficult to do it correctly.

For the record I am also a fan of Bake & Bite and enjoy eating there regularly also.