Butter Prices ?

riley76

mad.gifOver the last few months Butter has shot up in price,?. At super cheap where we always paid 58 to 62 baht for New Zealand butter. [The big chains including 7.11 price at 70+to 80 baht for a long time] ?????

ohmy.gif Now super cheap has removed price lables and has raised the price to 70+ baht ??blink.gif

biggrin.gif Good news is that Phomphan the original super market on Choafa West has butter still 58 baht . this shop is worth checking out its range of merchandice. It is, and has always been vast

check out also ' Island' Vodka, Gin,white Rum at 230 baht a liter 40 % there are many good priced products there wink.gif.This shop was where we all went to, befor Lotus etc if you need direction's please ask the more gifted forum members

try also KHAO Som coffee super taste riley 87

I think you would find shoppers in your home nation saying the same thing about prices of many essentials. Every time I go back to the UK I'm staggered by the way prices are rising - throwback to the late 70s early 80s.

Why limit your post to butter!! This concerns ALL prices!

I regularly check the online shopping prices of ASDA and Tesco in UK after our weekly shop. The UK is hardly dearer at all regarding prices. Given the larger overheads in a western country compared to here, then some people here are making bucket loads of money at the moment.

Even a whole chicken at the local market was only the equivalent of 5 baht a kilo cheaper than the UK. And the UK doesn't allow formalin, and pumped water, etc, in the chicken either!

We have been paying around 70B for 227 grams of Thai butter for a long time

I would not buy imported butter,its the same no matter where its made

you are so wrong about that, just try the taste of lurpak, Thai butter dont even come close

I agree with lanna in that prices have risen obscenely over the past several years. It was not that long ago when butter was half the price it is now as was the most staple of all foods here, rice. Look at the recent debacle with cooking oil. Before the shortage it was around 35 Baht now up to something like 55 in a matter of months.

Prices are going up everywhere and its worse in other countries than it is here

Its called inflation

The reason imported food items are so dear is import duties

You can quite often buy Thai made food products a lot cheaper than the imported ones,

they are not in the same position as the imported goods on the shelves, you have to look for them

We have been paying around 70B for 227 grams of Thai butter for a long time

I would not buy imported butter,its the same no matter where its made

you are so wrong about that, just try the taste of lurpak, Thai butter dont even come close

Butter is made from churning pure cream with or without salt

With Thai butter they use less salt than i am used to, more salt improves the taste

Just bought butter, spreadable was 225B and my cooking butter 195B,,lurpak ofcause, only the best will do :)

Lurpak best? :sick:

Fair enough mate thats your preference, but spreadable butter is not pure butter,

it has canola oil or something similar added to it to make it easier to spread

A popular brand in AUST is butter Soft and it states plainly on the package oil is added to it.:)

Sounds like its great butter, i notice it has not won a award since 2004

If its that good maybe what you buy here is copy butter.

You can buy copy anything in Asia if its expensive :)

Dont worry i know the taste and its better than a lot of the crap butter you get here, if it won in 2004 its good enough for me, still some of the best you can get, me think

and its 250 gram Felt 35

I admit that I have always liked 'salted' butter, so assumed that Thai butter wasn't salted, which is why I found it less appealing.

So.... I tried adding salt, but still found it nowhere near as appealing as the NZ butter I used to buy in the UK.

Nowadays, I pay through the nose for NZ butter but - its still not quite the same as that I used to buy in the UK. Or perhaps its just the bread? :(

I admit that I have always liked 'salted' butter, so assumed that Thai butter wasn't salted, which is why I found it less appealing.

So.... I tried adding salt, but still found it nowhere near as appealing as the NZ butter I used to buy in the UK.

Nowadays, I pay through the nose for NZ butter but - its still not quite the same as that I used to buy in the UK. Or perhaps its just the bread? :(

Thai butter comes in salted and unsalted you have to check the label

The salted does not have as much salt in it as AUST or NZ butter and does not taste as good

Thai butter comes in salted and unsalted you have to check the label

The salted does not have as much salt in it as AUST or NZ butter and does not taste as good

Allowrie, which has become my favorite low budget Thai made butter, comes in salted 2% gold package, and extra salted silver package. 70-82 baht for 227g depending on store. Not exactly cheap, but one or two packs a month is within my budget :) .

Allowrie, which has become my favorite low budget Thai made butter, comes in salted 2% gold package, and extra salted silver package. 70-82 baht for 227g depending on store. Not exactly cheap, but one or two packs a month is within my budget :) .

I have only seen unsalted and salted in the gold pack which i buy, i will look for the extra salted

By stretching my budget i can always manage to keep a extra block in the fridge :D

I have only seen unsalted and salted in the gold pack which i buy, i will look for the extra salted

By stretching my budget i can always manage to keep a extra block in the fridge :D

sorry I was wrong

was shopping today, Allowrie silver is unsalted and gold is salted

there is another brand with unsalted, salted and extrasalted, but didnt look for it as I prefere little salt