Interferon / Multiple Sclerosis Therapy In Thailand?

QuestionMark

Hello.

My GF is diagnosed with "Suspected Multiple Sclerosis" and it's been suggested to her to start an early immune therapy.

We are currently living in Germany but plan to leave for Thailand for at least a year, for Phuket specifically.

I have searched the web and emailed with several Thai hospitals but didn't find a place in Thailand that gives out the needed Interferone drugs yet,

what I did find out is that the most common Interferon drug in Thailand is called "Betaferon PFS" and none of the Phuket private hospitals have it.

So does any one know of any hospitals in Thailand that give out "Betaferon PFS" or any other Interferon/Copaxone and/or offers treament for Multiple Sclerosis?

Doesn't have to be Phuket, a domestic flight now and then to resupply on the drug would be in order..

Any help wold be greatly appreciated!

I am sorry I can't help you with the medicine but I have to say that from my understanding very hot and humid climates should be avoided for those with MS as it can cause a temporary worsening of the symptoms. Is it totally necessary she come to Phuket?

Thank you for your concerns, we have heard the same from some medical staff/ other patients but the doctors said it varies from patient to patient and most DO feel affected by heat,

but since she doesn't show any sign of worsening when its hot and humid right now she should be good - obviously if that changed we would never move to Thailand

The other problem is that, as this is a disease mainly found in temperate climates, there is limited experience in treating it in the Thai medical establishment.

It is true that there is only one beta interferon preparation available in Thailand, Betaferon BFS by Bayer (alpha-interferon is abundant but not same thing, for MS you need beta). Getting it though should not be that hard. Your bigger difficulty will be the medical management. This is a condition which changes and needs to be closely managed by someone familiar with it. If you were coming for a short period of time I wouldn't be so concerned since you could bring a treatment plan developed by docs at home with you and the docs here could just follow it. But in the course of a year, check-ups and medication adjustments will be needed.

For sure none of the docs in Phuket are going to be skilled in managing this.

Your best bet seems to be this doctor at Bangkok Hospital in Bangkok:

Dr. Sasitorn Siritho http://www.bangkokhospital.com/index.php?p=doctor_profile&DrID=824

Same doc is also at Bumrungrad hospital http://www.bumrungrad.com/en/search-for-a-thailand-doctor

Although the bangkok Hospital website doesn't list it, she trained in MS in Canada, and has also published on it in Thailand.

Bangkok Hospital has an affiliate hospital in Phuket, Bangkok Phuket Hosopital, so I'd suggest seeing her there rather than at Bumrunbgrad so as to be in the Bangkok hospital "system". It should be possible for her to arrange for have follow-up lab work done there to reduce the number of trips to Bangkok needed. She may also be able to arrange for the medication to be available at the Bangkok Phuket Hospital pharmacy and it would just in general be easier to be under the care of a doctor from the Bangkok hospital chain should she need urgent care on Phuket.

Another option should this for some reason not work out is is this doctor at Bumrungrad Hospital:

The beta interferon preparation available in Thailand is interferon beta 1-b. Be sure to check with her physicians as to whether this is suitable. Interferon Beat 1-a is not available here.

Also be prepared for it being very, very costly. It's imported from abroad, and you'll have to buy it from the hospital pharmacy which entails a further mark up. How much it costs exactly I don't know, but I think it may be in the 5 figures for a full year of treatment. Your doctor in the UK may be able to tell you what it retails for there, and then figure at least 20% more than that here.

The doctor visits, labs etc aren't going to be cheap either, but it's the cost of the drug that should really give pause, especially since I expect the NHS covers it in the UK.

Should also be aware of possible problems with eligibility for care under the NHS after living abroad. See these threads for a fuller discussion: