Name Change On Thai Passport, For Uk Sett. Visa

I will marry my girlfriend on the 4th July, and she will apply for a new passport with my surname on, then apply for UK settlement

I would like to print out and submit her application (and for her two children) while i am in the uk, which will be alot easier than doing it in thailand. but then i cannot amend the application

will either the passport number or start / expiry dates change? the passport is about 7 months old

If the details do change, i dont think it will be a problem, as far as the visa app. is concerned - both passports, old and new, will be submitted.

You can finish it all in Thailand, you don't have to complete it all here in the UK, I finished our application in Bangkok in a local internet shop, you will not lose to much time really, if that is what you are worried about.

Not sure on the passport numbers changing, I would of thought they would stay the same, might be wrong tho.

Alan Day

You can finish it all in Thailand, you don't have to complete it all here in the UK, I finished our application in Bangkok in a local internet shop, you will not lose to much time really, if that is what you are worried about.

Not sure on the passport numbers changing, I would of thought they would stay the same, might be wrong tho.

Alan Day

did you print a copy of the application and submit that with your supporting docs or dont they need a printed copy? and could you have saved a copy of the online app. to your computer, to print at a later date? (does it give you that option)

cheers

Edited by kunash

When my wife changed the name in her passport they simply placed a stamp in her existing passport; but was in the days before electronic/biometric passports.

When she renewed her passport, the new one had a different number to the old one.

So, at a guess, I think it depends on whether they issue a new passport or simply amend the existing one.

But that is a guess; hopefully someone who has recently done this will respond.

However, there is no need under UK law (and the wife tells me Thai law, too) for a wife to take her husband's surname upon marriage. My wife did change her surname on her ID card after we married, but not in her passport until she was in the UK when she did so at the Thai embassy in London.

Her visa will be endorsed "Spouse of (your name)", whatever name she has in her passport; so there is no need to change the name in her passport at all. (Remember, though, that the name on her air ticket must match the name in her passport.)

Not sure how long changing her name will take these days, my wife's renewal at the main office in Bangkok took, if memory serves, 5 days. If time is a factor, remember that she would not be able to submit her visa application without her passport.

After electronically submitting the application you do need to print out a copy for your wife to sign and take with her to the VAC. From How to apply

Step 3 - Complete your visa application form

You must complete your visa application in English using the UK Border Agency online application system. Please ensure that you select the correct visa application for the purpose of your visit and you complete all the sections correctly.

You should submit 1 visa application for each individual applying for a visa, including children

• You will need access to a computer, a personal email address that you can use and have the ability to print your form and any other information. When applying online you should have your passport to hand.
  • Please print all the pages of the visa application form and bring it to the visa application centre. You should print your completed visa application form on good quality paper and ensure that the information does not extend beyond the margins on the paper.
  • Please make sure the bar code appears on the final page of your printed visa application form and remember to sign it.
  • After you have saved and submitted your online application, you will receive an email with a unique number that starts with GWF. Keep your ID number for future reference.

Edited by 7by7
Removed machine code errors

did you print a copy of the application and submit that with your supporting docs or dont they need a printed copy? and could you have saved a copy of the online app. to your computer, to print at a later date? (does it give you that option)

cheers

I finished of my supporting docs, did the online application, booked the appointment and printed of the application all in Bangkok in one day easy, just make sure you find a good internet shop, you know nice and quiet, because you will have a lot of paper work lieing around :rolleyes: .

You can save the online doc if you want to, and print of the application later.

Alan Day

When my wife changed the name in her passport they simply placed a stamp in her existing passport; but was in the days before electronic/biometric passports.

When she renewed her passport, the new one had a different number to the old one.

So, at a guess, I think it depends on whether they issue a new passport or simply amend the existing one.

But that is a guess; hopefully someone who has recently done this will respond.

However, there is no need under UK law (and the wife tells me Thai law, too) for a wife to take her husband's surname upon marriage. My wife did change her surname on her ID card after we married, but not in her passport until she was in the UK when she did so at the Thai embassy in London.

Her visa will be endorsed "Spouse of (your name)", whatever name she has in her passport; so there is no need to change the name in her passport at all. (Remember, though, that the name on her air ticket must match the name in her passport.)

Not sure how long changing her name will take these days, my wife's renewal at the main office in Bangkok took, if memory serves, 5 days. If time is a factor, remember that she would not be able to submit her visa application without her passport.

After electronically submitting the application you do need to print out a copy for your wife to sign and take with her to the VAC.

Step 3 - Complete your visa application form

You must complete your visa application in English using the UK Border Agency online application system. Please ensure that you select the correct visa application for the purpose of your visit and you complete all the sections correctly.

You should submit 1 visa application for each individual applying for a visa, including children.

• <li type="disc">You will need access to a computer, a personal email address that you can use and have the ability to print your form and any other information. When applying online you should have your passport to hand. <li type="disc">Please print all the pages of the visa application form and bring it to the visa application centre. You should print your completed visa application form on good quality paper and ensure that the information does not extend beyond the margins on the paper. <li type="disc">Please make sure the bar code appears on the final page of your printed visa application form and remember to sign it.
  • After you have saved and submitted your online application, you will receive an email with a unique number that starts with GWF. Keep your ID number for future reference.

thanks 7,

anyone know if you can save the final submitted online app to desktop, for example, so you can print it out later???? i would really like to know this, thanks

if the passport is only 7months old why apply for a new one,once she has her visa for the uk.she only has to send the passport to the thai embassy[or maybe she can do it in bkk] they will show under observations that she has assumed your surname after marriage.

if the passport is only 7months old why apply for a new one,once she has her visa for the uk.she only has to send the passport to the thai embassy[or maybe she can do it in bkk] they will show under observations that she has assumed your surname after marriage.

my girlfriend will amend her passport at the ampur office in bkk. sorry, maybe ''apply'' was the wrong word to use

My wife applied for a new passport after we married with name change about 3 years ago, biometric passports. The new passport number and validity dates were all different, nothing linked with the old one. The retired passport despite having date validity was marked 'cancelled' in Thai. The assumption that the Thai MFA use an 'Observations' page the same as the UKPA does is incorrect.

Submitting BOTH passports will be the solution.

Edited by NanLaew

Thanks for the update.

However, I see little point in submitting the old passport, unless it contains evidence of previous travel outside Thailand. Although details of it should, of course, be entered in part 2 of the application form.

Kunash, remember that if you are going to change the name in her passport before submitting the visa application that the name on the application must be the same as the name in her new passport.

I find the post a little bit confusing, but here are some thoughts:

The passport will be a new passport, not an amendment to a current passport.

Before obtaining a passport in the new (married) name the ID card will need to be changed.

OP says " I would like to print out and submit her application (and for her two children) while i am in the uk, which will be alot easier than doing it in thailand. but then i cannot amend the application"

You cannot submit the application in the UK ( if this is what you mean). You can do the online application anywhere you want, and print it out if you wish, but your wife will have to submit the printed application at VFS in Bangkok.

Thanks for the update.

However, I see little point in submitting the old passport, unless it contains evidence of previous travel outside Thailand. Although details of it should, of course, be entered in part 2 of the application form.

Kunash, remember that if you are going to change the name in her passport before submitting the visa application that the name on the application must be the same as the name in her new passport.

the old passport has a uk and singapore tourist visa stamp in, so will need them.

and i wrote out her online app. and sponsor letter using her old married name :whistling: . Just noticed that mistake 3 days ago.

My wife has not changed the name in her passport and has just renewed it while we were in Thailand in April. She was unable to change the name in the passport because the return tickets would no longer have been valid. It is easy to forget this in the rush to get paperwork finished!

Nobody seems overly worried which name is in the passport. Photo ID and fingerprints seem to be more important. I wonder how long it will be before it is DNA that they use!